Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by EvilGuru »

wari wrote:Is there an idea of when they'll make it into the game?
They have made it in trunk.

Regards, Freddie.
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

Hey, glad the terrain made it into trunk!

Currently, the textures look very blurry though even when I zoom in completely. Strange.

I want to inform you of two textures (well, one really and a color-changed version) that I recently created:
Image Image
Image Image

Both are based on a photo made by me and are released into the public domain (or released under cc0 or wtfpl if that suits you more) so they can be used, GPL-ed and mixed with any other texture.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

qubodup wrote:Currently, the textures look very blurry though even when I zoom in completely. Strange.
If you play a version of warzone without terrain textures after playing one with them: the texture size is reset. This means that you will need to change the texture size in the options if you play a version with the terrain textures after playing a version without them.

And the second texture looks great! :suprised:
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Mysteryem wrote:If you play a version of warzone without terrain textures after playing one with them: the texture size is reset. This means that you will need to change the texture size in the options if you play a version with the terrain textures after playing a version without them.
If you svn up to r7019, you'll get a version that uses a different config directory, so as long as you don't play 2.2, you won't need to change the texture size after each time you play 2.1.
qubodup wrote:I want to inform you of two textures (well, one really and a color-changed version) that I recently created:
They're great. I notice neither the red-orange and the brown-grey are particularly close to the yellowish tannish color currently used - could you make a screenshot with that shade so I can see how it looks?
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

Mysteryem, Zarel: thanks for the comments and thanks for the help, it took me a bit to realize(/remember?) I can set the texture resolution in the preferences.

So I created a calmer version:
Image Image
I think it does look more fitting. Contrary to the currently used texture, there are no bushes on it (which to me is a good thing :) )
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Mysteryem wrote:This means that you will need to change the texture size in the options
I was going to mention this, but then I noticed Mysteryem already had. And yet, I still had my tech-support-intuition that you might be confused about how to fix the problem. :/

Anyway, I like the calmer version a lot.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

actually that other brighter / deeper color may be a great replacement for a certain series of maps - any chances on doing a set featuring that?? :)
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

lav_coyote25 wrote:actually that other brighter / deeper color may be a great replacement for a certain series of maps - any chances on doing a set featuring that?? :)
Check out the svn trunk. in data/texpages, you can easily change textures by renaming them. You can get the textures I showed by clicking on the texture images in the threads above and then clicking on the looking glass icon above the preview image and selecting "original" there. This way you can easily test how the textures look on whatever maps you have in mind.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

thnks. xD
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

lav_coyote25 wrote:thnks. xD
If you find some cool combinations, don't forget to make screens and report back here :D

(btw your homepage link is broken)
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

(I'm not sure whether it's good or bad)
I attempted to make a cliff face texture for the urban tileset and this is what I've come up with: (please ignore the name)
http://www.mysterymayhem.co.uk/pics/page-49-dirt.rar
I'm publishing it under the GNU General Public Licence v2
Attachments
wz2100_shot_022.png
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

please tell me, do you think about creating some new areas? (for example in distant future). Now we have 3: arizona, urban and rocky mountains but with the new, beutiful renderer it would be awesome to see more types of scenery :)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

It would be nice if we would allow people to easily pick what terrain they wanted. When the new GUI code is ready, it should be possible, then we can make some very nice options, to keep everyone happy. :)
and it ends here.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

guciomir wrote:please tell me, do you think about creating some new areas? (for example in distant future). Now we have 3: arizona, urban and rocky mountains but with the new, beutiful renderer it would be awesome to see more types of scenery :)
New areas would be nice, but with no map editor to support them yet, I am not sure how easy it would be to integrate it at the moment.
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

What about replacing some old textures?

I have some ideas for new areas, I am no artist, but maybe it will inspire some people. Obviously all the areas should follow the common theme of postnuclear world.

1. SWAMP, a nuke explosion was nearby. A gloomy area with some brown, dark green bogs full of acid. Also, some radioactive, shining orange-gold tiles. Weather effects like toxic rain. Trees, plants twisted and/or dying.

2. LANDFILL, that supported some great cities in the past. A lot of junk, rather dark colors, tons of scavenger parts (parts of vehicles, planes), some toxic tiles. Small villages where people live. Some deserted factories.

3. ANTARCTICA, a lot of snow, glaciers. Colors: white and blue. The only area that was not touched by nuclear war.

What do you think about them?