Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by gerard_ »

Well, these don't look bad at all. I finished the urban tileset (it's in svn) and I'm nearly done with the Rockies tileset. I'll commit them somewhere tomorrow. I didn't use the rubble texture as is is indeed too big (you need to set the texture size to very small to make it ok, and then you have a lot of repetition). Also, it made the city look too much like a garbage dump. See the thread about the new terrain for screenshots.

We now need a map-editor that supports the new terrain, so we can start making new terrains with custom textures. Imagine a battle on a tropical island, or a burnt-down forest. :)
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

I added transparency to some of the detail textures (roads, craters)
More
Here is the 7zip
transPack_v0.1.7z
the transparinated textures at 4 mipmap levels
(777.59 KiB) Downloaded 856 times
I also tried a down-scaled, edited version of the plant texture.
Down-scaled, slightly remixed plant texture. Still weird.
Down-scaled, slightly remixed plant texture. Still weird.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

it's lookin good, qubodup. what is it that you find weird about the veg ? they do have a pale dandelion stalk look... perhaps
greener... more leafy like succulents ?
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

whippersnapper wrote:what is it that you find weird about the veg ?.
It's flat is what annoys me.

By the way, the sand and rock textures in the images I posted above are not the one that are in the svn. I got confused about what the default was and what not after all the texture-swapping :) Next screens will be subversion-true.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

veg can be done as map feature MODELS i know from experience and they do look much better than flat textures (same with rock-boulders) plus you can give them destructable properties... though, without being able to place them via the Map Editor I don't know how feasible that would be at present..

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Thraka
Greenhorn

Post by Thraka »

You can have the engine automatically place the models around where a specific texture is used. It shouldn't hurt performance much neither because you can have it only rendered within a small view plane.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

qubodup wrote:It's flat is what annoys me.
I think it might be better if it were yellow, which would make sense that it would be collapsed on the ground, and it also makes sense considering the setting.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Thraka wrote:You can have the engine automatically place the models around where a specific texture is used. It shouldn't hurt performance much neither because you can have it only rendered within a small view plane.
true.... as long as there happened to be no pre-placements already on the given tertile in any of the extant maps. if only one - crashola..

most of the dirt-rock has good definition... most of the veg doesnot ergo it creates a squashed effect. greater definition could counter that.

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

qubodup wrote:I added transparency to some of the detail textures (roads, craters)
I added transparency to the rest of the craters.

Edit: I also reserve the rest of the tiles for me to remake, in case one of you wanted to start working on it, don't, until you see what I come up with, first (so we don't waste our efforts doing the same thing).
Attachments
moretertiles.zip
(216.42 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Zarel wrote:I added transparency to the rest of the craters.

Edit: I also reserve the rest of the tiles for me to remake, in case one of you wanted to start working on it, don't, until you see what I come up with, first (so we don't waste our efforts doing the same thing).
It's been a month and a half. Why hasn't this been committed yet? <_<
kdalts
Greenhorn

Post by kdalts »

Sorry to sound dumb .. the textures look great but how do we install them?

I can't find any thread that tells us normal folk how to or where to put anything... ie: where do you put maps?, how do you install new textures?

I read some thread about new items with wz extentions but none of them worked and the game crashed! I tried every directory for new maps but they don't appear anywhere - help please.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

kdalts wrote:Sorry to sound dumb .. the textures look great but how do we install them?

I can't find any thread that tells us normal folk how to or where to put anything... ie: where do you put maps?, how do you install new textures?

I read some thread about new items with wz extentions but none of them worked and the game crashed! I tried every directory for new maps but they don't appear anywhere - help please.
This is for the new terrain engine. AFAIK, it isn't available to those that can't compile the branch on their own.

For maps, stick them in your config directory. In /maps/ You will also find /screendumps/ and /savegame/ /music/ /multiplay in the same config directory.
and it ends here.
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

I created these textures about two years ago. Then had no time to work on wz mods. Now I'm going to finish the terrain textures and some models maybe. Then will put them on this site.
Attachments
sshot10.JPG
sshot02.JPG
sshot13.JPG
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

Other two screenshots:
Attachments
sshot6.JPG
sshot11.JPG
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

Is there an idea of when they'll make it into the game?