Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
DRAAK
Trained
Trained

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by DRAAK »

EvilGuru wrote: ...it becomes a matter of taste. I am against adding settings to account for this for the same reason that I am against bass/treble controls on media players/amplifiers.
totally agree with you
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

hao wrote:My monitor's settings are not enough. Warzone is barely playable during the day, i see close-to-nothing on the screen!
Most other games have gamma (despite these problems ;)), why shouldn't we?
Yeah, that is what I was talking about.
Why do all games have gamma slider but super duper modern warzone 2100 shouldn't? sounds like marasmus, sorry. :|
Also I'm a guitar player and I want to say that the more control knobs I have on my amplifier the better sound I can choose. :wink:
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

hao wrote:My monitor's settings are not enough. Warzone is barely playable during the day, i see close-to-nothing on the screen!
Most other games have gamma (despite these problems ;)), why shouldn't we?
Actually, if you have a modern monitor that is connected digitally to your graphics adapter you should have no gamma controls whatsoever. At best all you will get is a selection of colour profiles/temperatures. This, however, is a good thing --- and the way it should be.

However, your graphics card will almost certainly have some sort of gamma correction slider in its control panel. Take a look for it and adjust to taste. (As, that is all that Warzone did, ask SDL to change the gamma, which asked the OS/X server, which asked the driver.) We were not doing anything special. However, be warned that changing the gamma will reduce the dynamic range of your monitor if it is an LCD panel.
MaNGusT wrote: Yeah, that is what I was talking about.
Why do all games have gamma slider but super duper modern warzone 2100 shouldn't? sounds like marasmus, sorry. :|
Also I'm a guitar player and I want to say that the more control knobs I have on my amplifier the better sound I can choose. :wink:
Right, you have controls on your amplifier when you make music. And, in this same way, you have controls in your image editing application. Creation is very different from playback.

Most games have gamma controls because, firstly, people expect them and secondly because it is easier than forcing users to accept that their monitors are badly/improperly configured.

Polemically yours, Freddie.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Okay... what about HDR color saturation ? :)
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

MaNGusT wrote:Okay... what about HDR color saturation ? :)
I take it you mean the choice of tone mapping algorithm. This, again, is something that I see no need to make configurable. Sure, there might be a configuration parameter for it that you change in the config file, but it is unlikely that a GUI will be provided. It is just not that useful a feature. All it would do it result in people asking "why does <insert screen capture here> look different to <insert my screen capture here>, is my hardware working?"

Polemically yours, Freddie.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

EvilGuru wrote:I take it you mean the choice of tone mapping algorithm. This, again, is something that I see no need to make configurable. Sure, there might be a configuration parameter for it that you change in the config file, but it is unlikely that a GUI will be provided. It is just not that useful a feature. All it would do it result in people asking "why does <insert screen capture here> look different to <insert my screen capture here>, is my hardware working?"
So.. you suggest me to adjust the saturation and gamma manually via ie photoshop as people want in this topic.... but then textures will not satisfy me and some others who like dark post-apocalyptic colors. :(
All it would do it result in people asking "why does <insert screen capture here> look different to <insert my screen capture here>, is my hardware working?"
I do not think that players are so retarded. :? ... well, there are some "examples" but not everyone. :D
Last edited by MaNGusT on 09 Oct 2010, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

mangust - your the artist. keep them as per your vision. if people want different. then they can do what you did. perhaps it is time to do up warzone mod switcher that works with the latest revisions... :3 :)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

lav_coyote25 wrote:mangust - your the artist. keep them as per your vision. if people want different. then they can do what you did. perhaps it is time to do up warzone mod switcher that works with the latest revisions... :3 :)
50% are voted for my textures but Bugi asked me to adjust textures anyway. :|
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

50% thought your textures were better than Gerard's. That's not to say they thought your textures were perfect. :P
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Zarel wrote:That's not to say they thought your textures were perfect. :P
I didn't mean that. :)
Textures can't be perfect. I like them as they are now but somebody doesn't. That is why I suggested what I suggested above.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

MaNGusT wrote:
lav_coyote25 wrote:mangust - your the artist. keep them as per your vision. if people want different. then they can do what you did. perhaps it is time to do up warzone mod switcher that works with the latest revisions... :3 :)
50% are voted for my textures but Bugi asked me to adjust textures anyway. :|
"Bugi" ? :hmm:
Anyway, if we all do what we want and have no input from anyone else who has seen the textures, then this thread was more or less useless, was it not ? :hmm:

Sure, we could accept things "As Is", but I thought that the more input we get now, the better it will be for everyone. Am I wrong ?
:hmm:
and it ends here.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Buginator wrote:"Bugi" ? :hmm:
Sorry for reduction.
Anyway, if we all do what we want and have no input from anyone else who has seen the textures, then this thread was more or less useless, was it not ? :hmm:
It was usefull when I was making a sketches, I think. I never ignored input from others.
Sure, we could accept things "As Is", but I thought that the more input we get now, the better it will be for everyone. Am I wrong ?
Ok, ok. I suggested compromises but they were denied. So, I will just save a copy of textures that I like and will fix saturation and brightness as was mentioned here.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

MaNGusT wrote:
Buginator wrote:"Bugi" ? :hmm:
Sorry for reduction.
lol, just playing with ya. :3
It was usefull when I was making a sketches, I think. I never ignored input from others.
Ok, ok. I suggested compromises but they were denied. So, I will just save a copy of textures that I like and will fix saturation and brightness as was mentioned here.
Works for me.
and it ends here.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I've found the solution for those who like saturated colorful textures. it's easy(in coding) bloom effect that uses shaders and ogl 2.0. :)
Last edited by MaNGusT on 15 Apr 2012, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Mangust: Note that bloom is a post processing effect and cannot be applied directly in the shader.
However, if post processing was made available in warzone, a nice use for it would be SSAO.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-