Terrain Textures

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Re: Terrain Textures

Post by Safety0ff »

cybersphinx wrote:In theory, that works. But afaik, you need the same texture coordinates for all mipmap levels, so you need the lowest mipmap level expanded up (does that make sense?) regarding the space needed.
I knew that, but forgot it while I was writing the reply. :lol2: Thanks for catching that.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Hm. since in trunk we use 1 tile texture only for decals, can code be changed to work like it was in original or before the "cutting"? Until it will not be changed, I will not be able to test a new decals in the game. :(
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

MaNGusT wrote:
wz2100_shot_033.png
wz2100_shot_034.png
wz2100_shot_035.png
Absolutely superb textures, MaNGust. The grass is very detailed and accurate and I also think you did a great job on the cliffs. This NEEDS to make it in game if it isn't already.

EDIT: Referencing post 04 Apr 2010, 13:23
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

marsbound2024 wrote:Absolutely superb textures, MaNGust. The grass is very detailed and accurate and I also think you did a great job on the cliffs. This NEEDS to make it in game if it isn't already.
Thx. But my work is not fully done. If devs will hear my entreaty and will fix the part of code that corresponds to decals drawing, then I will remake the all terrain decals that now look very weird on the new terrain textures.
Also, as bonus, I can create a new terrain and decal textures with the same style to diversify the current tilesets. Yes, it will not help to maps that we have already but for mapmakers it will be like a breath of fresh air. :)
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

MaNGusT wrote:
marsbound2024 wrote:Absolutely superb textures, MaNGust. The grass is very detailed and accurate and I also think you did a great job on the cliffs. This NEEDS to make it in game if it isn't already.
Thx. But my work is not fully done. If devs will hear my entreaty and will fix the part of code that corresponds to decals drawing, then I will remake the all terrain decals that now look very weird on the new terrain textures.
Also, as bonus, I can create a new terrain and decal textures with the same style to diversify the current tilesets. Yes, it will not help to maps that we have already but for mapmakers it will be like a breath of fresh air. :)
I hope the grass isn't changed too much because it is nearly perfect. At least in the post I quoted. Nice shade of green (not too green as to be fake or too powerful), nice overall texture and composition. Looking forward to seeing what else you create! :D
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

so... what is the status now?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

macuser wrote:so... what is the status now?
Status of what ? The textures ?
I am waiting for some help... :stressed: :geek: :stressed:
http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/2013

Basically, once that is done, I can stick them into the game. It would also be possible to have different texture sets that people can download for different looks.

Then, I can start doing 'testing' builds for the next version of Warzone, and that version will NOT be 2.3.x. :ninja:
and it ends here.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I looked at the ticket and correct me if I'm wrong, you're waiting for amongst finish his tile set? I can't see what you are waiting for
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

macuser wrote:I looked at the ticket and correct me if I'm wrong, you're waiting for amongst finish his tile set? I can't see what you are waiting for
The changes requested by people in the texture thread, and a update to all needed files, instead of them being source code changes. (ie, the files in tileset.zip)
and it ends here.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Ah
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I want to talk about.... some aspects of in-game viewing.

Here some people said that my textures are too dark and desaturated. Yeah, when I was making textures, I kept in mind that my textures would not satisfy the all players. So I decided to make textures in way they were satisfying me as an "artist".

after this small intro I suggest devs give players more "freedom" in customizing the game. I mean:

1) Almost all new games have brightness(gamma) and contrast options. Warzone should have it too.
2) In UFO Afterlight game I saw the great option for players who don't like desaturated textures. It's called Image post-processing - HDR color saturation.

here are some pics from the game with different values of HDR in %. click to enlarge.
HDR post-processing is off
HDR is on, 50%, default
HDR is on, 25%, low
HDR is on, 100%, max
0% is monochrome
If it will be possible to make this option in warzone, all disagreements will disappear.

Each player has different monitors with his own sittings he likes, also each monitor has its own specifications, so I can't make textures for all.

What do you guys think? :)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

looks good. exactly what is needed. :)
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

MaNGusT wrote: after this small intro I suggest devs give players more "freedom" in customizing the game. I mean:

1) Almost all new games have brightness(gamma) and contrast options. Warzone should have it too.
No, it should not. Warzone did, some years back, have a gamma correction slider, implemented on top of the gamma functionality provided by SDL. I was the one who took the decision to remove it. There were several reasons for this, both theoretical and practical.

Firstly, gamma is, in general, a per-monitor setting. Hence when people loaded Warzone it would change the gamma of the monitor(s) that Warzone was running on. This is highly undesirable for those playing Warzone in a window (or those who enjoy switching between Warzone and other applications while the game is running. The issue was further convoluted by the fact that setting a gamma 'correction' factor of 0.0 still often resulted in the gamma being changed. This situation was untenable.

If a player finds that the game is too dark then they should change the gamma settings for their monitor. There is no special reason why Warzone should be any lighter or darker than any other application running on the system. If, after setting a suitable colour profile for their system, a player still finds that your textures are too dark then it becomes a matter of taste. I am against adding settings to account for this for the same reason that I am against bass/treble controls on media players/amplifiers.

Polemically yours, Freddie.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

My monitor's settings are not enough. Warzone is barely playable during the day, i see close-to-nothing on the screen!
Most other games have gamma (despite these problems ;)), why shouldn't we?
Is it possible to mark the gamma setting as "dangerous" or "unstable", leaving any unusual effects under user's responsibility? I'd gladly accept such responsibility!