Re: NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Post by lav_coyote25 »

keep the round chimneys. perhaps a poll is required?? xD
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

lav_coyote25 wrote:keep the round chimneys. perhaps a poll is required?? xD
Well, maybe the 16 more polygons from the round ones will reduce performance?
:D

Ok, I'll keep the round ones
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

I prefer the cylindrical one
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I remade the Research facility, some things different, but overall similar.
How about it?
Attachments
Research facility 1
Research facility 1
EVIL386
Trained
Trained

Post by EVIL386 »

Looks wicked :D when will these models be available to DL?
hjhjhj
Trained
Trained

Post by hjhjhj »

sorry to say this, (dont take this the wrong way, ´they are very nice :!!!: .) but i dont like them for wz2100..
They will be like the old ones. From the year around 2000...

Warzone 2100 is basicly from year 2100-2120.... How 'bout making them hi-tech.. O_O

And dude, your a great artist :) .... JESSSSSS :cool:

Stefan. B

Read signature!!!!! :stressed:
AKA. Balano
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

We've talked about that some time ago, look at the posts after this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2257&start=45#p21827
People agreed that the WZ2100 style would best fit the "bunkerish", not built for the current use, rugged and heavy military buildings because one or more of the following:

I- The members of the Project used structures of old military bases to house its installations, so the looks would be preferably similar to military base buildings.
II- Considering the constant need that the structures have of resisting under fire, those which would be built to look high-tech would need to be built in a way that prejudices its defense capabilities.
III- The post-apocalyptic setting and technology scavenging need, among other relevant components of the game, directs the concept of the game towards the fact that the player is recovering the lost technologies (the first vehicle you get to use is a wheeled, weak viper wheels armed with one 7.62 machinegun, which is most likely to be considered a common infantry weapon caliber nowadays), and there is no situation where the project itself develops any technology from nowhere (or you wouldn't need to recover artifacts for researching).
IV- Most weapons until T3 are currently existing ones, so more than half of the way through the tech tree englobes technology that already exists and already been largely used, so the game "technological setting" can't be classified futuristic until very late in the game.
V- The buildings could be considered high-tech if you observe that we can't see what kind of machines or infrastructure is implemented inside them. Architetural futuristic designs would be unnecessary and too expensive to be applyied in a military base.
VI- Also, the structure itself can be considered high-tech, because the material can be high-tech, its properties aren't meant to be improved visually, anyway.

"High-tech" itself is a complicated term. If you analyse it, it would mean simply high technology, not futuristic, just state-of-the-art technology. But many people think "High-tech" as futuristic things, technologies that don't exist on the present, but those which could be classified under the "science fiction" section (and, see, anything futuristic is fictional, because future didn't happen yet). But any of those meanings would fit the scenario, see?

If you disagree with some of those, please, I need to know it if you can justify, because it can change the course of my efforts.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

EVIL386 wrote:Looks wicked :D when will these models be available to DL?
It'll take some time because I've got to send the .3ds files to Elio then he would send me the maps so I can do the texturizing, then send it to Elio so he could put it all together and mod the game files with the model. But I think we'll release it when all structures are ready, because I just don't like the idea of "Incomplete work"...
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Olrox wrote:It'll take some time because I've got to send the .3ds files to Elio then he would send me the maps so I can do the texturizing, then send it to Elio so he could put it all together and mod the game files with the model. But I think we'll release it when all structures are ready, because I just don't like the idea of "Incomplete work"...
We've decided that it's better to release some "preview" mods now and then, with every few new buildings that we make.
But that should take some time, still, but there will be results!
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I've made the new model for the HQ, how about it?
Attachments
Headquarters 1
Headquarters 1
hjhjhj
Trained
Trained

Post by hjhjhj »

Got to say, i agree for all that you have typed.

The fact that the projekt is using technology from the past werent in my mind. O_O

You work is surtenly NOT :!!!: going to be a waste of time. ;)
I have readed some books about scripting, 3 dimensionel and texture .etc..
Got to say, everthing you do, is going to be an use for everybody! :cool:

Stefan. B

Read signature :!!!:

------------------------------------------------

Edit: Could not quote you message, every time i typed something it ''jumped'' up and down. :stressed:
AKA. Balano
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

Olrox wrote:I've made the new model for the HQ, how about it?
I dunno why, but I immediately thought "power plant" when I saw it.
Timmay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Timmay »

It its really striking that you love archways, don’t you?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

wari wrote:I dunno why, but I immediately thought "power plant" when I saw it.
I don't know it either :D
Timmay wrote:It its really striking that you love archways, don’t you?
Hahahah, yeah, they provide excelent structural properties. Some time ago, me and my classmates were ordered by the Constructive Procedures' Professor to build an arch, made only of standard clay bricks and wet sand, between the walls of a corridor (for structural support compensation, as there was no agglomerative component such as cement). The test was to prove the effectiveness of the arch in its own composition, as a structural element. We've built the arch with the aid of wooden laminated boards, to support the new bricks, and when we finished putting the last one, we removed the wooden supports and the arch obvioulsy did stand up. Most impressive is that the professor ordered one of my classmates to climb to the top of the arch, with a stair, and so did he. The arch composed of bricks and wet sand supported his weight as if it was concrete...

Also, I like archways because they provide a smooth relation between roof and wall, so I often use the to make some "canopy" right outside the building exits (If there was rain and the doors needed to be opened, there would be no problem at all, and also, every concrete elements that "extrude" from the building works like protection to weak points: windows, doors etc.)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I was thinking about the new power plant I'm going to design.
The "Power", only resource that you must gather to construct anything on Warzone 2100, is obtained by building an Oil derrick atop oil (petroleum) sources scattered around the map. Then, I thought, what kind of process is used to refine petroleum and obtain other materials? Or is it transformed into electricity (as suggested by the lightning icon near the "total power required" during vehicle design stages) and then by some other facility-specific process into other components?
I'm thinking about that because different processes require diferent structures, and I'm trying to make coherent models for the game.
Then, I came up with a few types of power plants I could make:

I - A fractional distillation facility, where the petroleum is separated into several components used into the construction of units and buildings.

II - A fossil fuel power plant, where petroleum is briefly refined to be used as combustive material and submitted to the processes for converting the thermal energy provided into electricity, and then into other materials by other processes in the other facilities.

III - Simply an improved version of the actually ingame one, which have some energy poles, no oil tanks, and have some spinning lights around the central energy pole (?).

IV - Another idea, post it if you have one!

I, particularly, prefer option II, because some components of the buildings and units, mentioned in research topics, aren't derived from petroleum, and I don't see much sense in the way it is right now.
Attachments
wz2100 power plant.JPG
wz2100 power plant.JPG (11.39 KiB) Viewed 7293 times