whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Post by whippersnapper »

Olrox wrote:Quick, Here it is! :ninja:
How about it now?
:D
i too like it a little more with the sloping. good work.

minor engineering point - which can fall under 'artistic license' as is. you're HVAC ducts - could use an indication of a 'transfer-exchange' at ground level. 'course they don't have to go in the ground - that would be a 2nd type HVAC system (but a building that size and type would go in the ground to the 'lungs' which negotiate the air pressure of the internal climate control). basically that 'transfer-exchange' is to control humidity.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I'll make the ducts only come out of the ground (rather than entering the structure again), and have a centrifugal fan atop each one. The fans at the top of the building would function as exhaust, while the centrifugal fans would supply air for the system. It would serve mainly for ventilation, but also for temperature control, as there are many machines working on the underground. Then, the fact that the number of ducts raise according to the module level would mean there are more (or larger) facilities underground, then there's higher demands for ventilation and heat control.
Thraka
Greenhorn

Post by Thraka »

When can we have this!? :) Very awesome job!!!!!
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Thraka wrote:When can we have this!? :) Very awesome job!!!!!
Thank you!
but could you be a little more specific on how you want it?
I mean, they're only (untexturized) 3d models yet, so there is still no mod. I'm gonna really work on those things further on the summer vacations (december~february)
DarkCheetah
Trained
Trained

Post by DarkCheetah »

Olrox wrote:
Thraka wrote:When can we have this!? :) Very awesome job!!!!!
Thank you!
but could you be a little more specific on how you want it?
I mean, they're only (untexturized) 3d models yet, so there is still no mod. I'm gonna really work on those things further on the summer vacations (december~february)
cant wait to use them with the new zombie survivor mod! :3 we got a great moddeler and a great modder on the forums here! :3
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Be ready!
Just a little more waiting, an then...
EVIL386
Trained
Trained

Post by EVIL386 »

oooh i'm subscribing this one xD :!!!:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hello everybody
Been a long time and I'm pretty ashamed of it, also.
But I've been thinking about continuing my work, for it to have any use at all. Unfortunately, I've lost my previous models due to hardware problems (never think you are never going to loose all of your your work with those, because they do happen), but it should be very fast to remake them based on the screenshots and remembering some base measures I've used on them.
However, I don't really think I'm going to manage to learn about the converting stuff and modding the game etc. I'm a horrible programmer, sincerely the only thing I can do with text besides of writing words themselves is using forum text formatting commands
:gonk:
Therefore, I'm looking for someone to help me in this task, someone who could convert the DWGs into some texturizable file and mapping the file for me, so I could make the textures for the models. Then this same someone could convert them to PIEs and mod the game files for it to actually be a mod. Then we would finally be seeing some results (which many people have been waiting for in a long long time)

Is anyone willing to be this someone?
luisynai101
Trained
Trained

Post by luisynai101 »

looks cool
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

yes i am

but....... i would greatly appreciate if you learn blender. at the beginning, it's horrbile to control that application, because it's just completely different from any user interface, but there are many tutorial videos around. search for mesh editing and uv mapping

the thing about blender is because i asked one of the devs to rewrite the 'blender to warzone' exporter #359 and thus will make artist's life much easier. ;)

regards
elio

PS: blender cannot import dwg files, i would suggest you to export it in a wavefront (*.obj) file. these are fine
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Alright then
I can export dwgs to .3ds and then import with blender, I've done that already I think.
I'll go after some tutorial, at least for the GUI, because it's definetely different from what I'm used to (it was a pain to learn even 3dsmax at the beginning cuz I'm used to autoCAD and its command line-based system, I used to press many keys until I'd notice it actually was executing a different command for each key xD )

But I'll try and hopefully succeed in learning blender, it seems easy, just different.
I'll start remaking my models right now, I'm really bored here (it's 05:41 AM and I just can't sleep)...

But again, just to refresh the memory from our fellow members of these forums,

Please comment! The best are those which bear some theoretical meaning, like "That ramp is too steep for a threaded vehicle to climb if it's concrete", instead of just "that ramp is too steep". The more people helping us with good quality comments, the sooner our mod will be available, and the sooner we'll be able to play wz2100 without someone saying "That factory looks like a painted cardboard box to me" at your side! :D

But then, to work.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Okay, remade the factory model with the three versions, no texture, no materials, just lighting and object colors. Average poly count is 105 (for F2, 1 module installed) and it' a 3x3 model, so we could've put many more poly but I don't think it's necessary.
Remembering that the textures will be yet applyied for visual enchancement, anyone have any suggestion on this model? The "boxes" at the side of the building are going to be texturized to look like ventilation ducts for the underground machinery.
Attachments
Factory ss1
Factory ss1
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

looks very good, keep that style :)

hmm, the only thing i don't like somehow is the chimney, it doesn't match the shape, but i may be wrong
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

maybe if they were shorter, what do you think?
I thought that rectangular section chimneys wouldn't look like chimneys, those more cylindrical ones looked more intuitively distinct
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Anyway, I've made a model with rectangular chimneys.
Which one will we keep?
I'll start with the research facility now
Attachments
Factory 2.jpeg