Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Troman
Trained
Trained

Re: Gfx help needed

Post by Troman »

Awesome! Thanks  :)
elio wrote: i've done three variants, i'd prefer the third
To be honest, I like first and second one, even though the first one uses red, which isn't used for buttons in wz, I still like it. I think it would be ideal for the ready button and the second one can be used for general check boxes in the game. For some reason the '-' doesn't tell me anything, maybe I just didn't get the idea.
?topic=1617.0
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

well, this is a point where we can discuss about intuitive usage.
but i think, when you clicked on it first time you will never forget that then comes a thick

the first is probably the best, but looks worse in game, we should test it
Attachments
frontend4-sqaretick.png
frontend4-sqaretick.png (7.66 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
frontend4-linetick.png
frontend4-linetick.png (8.37 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
frontend4-redgreen.png
frontend4-redgreen.png (8.31 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

In an informal voting number 2 won, so I guess neither you nor me had luck today.  ;)

BTW did you by any chance made the icons in a vector program?
?topic=1617.0
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

In an informal voting number 2 won, so I guess neither you nor me had luck today.
^^ i can live with it, hehe
BTW did you by any chance made the icons in a vector program?
no

all are made in "end-size"
i've found out it's not a good idea to draw on a big image and scale it down, the result is too blurry

these which i made are quiet simple, so it would'nt take long to "vectorize".
the originals are much more difficult (ex. the flag) and would look quiet different i think

what's the purpose of vectorized icons? do you want to have all the icons vectorized so you can adjust them to screen size?
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

elio wrote: what's the purpose of vectorized icons?
We are currently in a process of rewriting GUI system and it will be scalable, so having icons in vector format would be theoretically a good idea.
elio wrote: do you want to have all the icons vectorized so you can adjust them to screen size?
Yes, eventually we want something like this. EvilGuru is the right man to talk about details, as he's the person behind the GUI overhaul, I will point him to this thread.
?topic=1617.0
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

As any forum veteran will tell you the UI is not something that you want to bump into on an poorly-lit street. It is hard to work with from a programmers perspective, is limited in what it can do without extensive modification (no check-boxes, drop-down lists, scrolled text areas). It is also non-scaleable, irrespective of your resolution be it 640x480 or 1600x1200, the UI is always the same size. In a word: this sucks.

So it was decided that it was probably best if it was re-written from the ground up. At the heart of the redesign is the use of cairo. This is an industry-standard vector graphics library, most notably used by Firefox 3 and GTK (which is normally found in the Linux world). In addition it also can use OpenGL for hardware acceleration.

Now, a vector graphics library is not that useful unless most of your primitives are vector images. Therefore the plan is (when the new library is ready) to get as many of the front-end and interface images to vectors as possible. In all probability the chosen file format will be SVG (scaleable vector graphics).

However, the re-write is still in the very early stages (the code can be found here: https://trac.mortis.eu/warzone/browser/ ... etawidget/ ). Hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be mature enough for some demos/example applications. Until then anything goes.

Nearer the time I will make a thread about all of this.

Regards, Freddie.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

EvilGuru wrote: It is also non-scaleable, irrespective of your resolution be it 640x480 or 1600x1200, the UI is always the same size.
a scalable ui is a great thing to have, but at the same time, the scaling should be user adjustable -- often it is desired that the ui take up as little of the screen as possible.

so if the ui takes up 40% of the screen in 640x480, the user may want to increase the resolution just to get the ui out of the way.  otoh, someone who likes a large and very readable ui might want to increase their screen resolution just so that the scalable ui is able to render at higher fidelity.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

i could try to do some images, but these will look different although i attempt to hold the current style.
i've already worked with inkscape, time to get in again

update: added svg - it was easier than i thought hehe. are these okay? when yes, then i would continue
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by elio on 28 Apr 2008, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

elio - is it okay with you if I commit these icons with the GPL license? Otherwise I'll have to create a new frontend file for them, because CC and GPL artwork cannot be in the same file.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

absolutely no problem
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

elio wrote: i could try to do some images, but these will look different although i attempt to hold the current style.
i've already worked with inkscape, time to get in again

update: added svg - it was easier than i thought hehe. are these okay? when yes, then i would continue
I have a huge "Image not found" in the background, but appart from that it looks really nice! :)
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

-your new interface sounds like a revolutionary change in game handling. i'm in suspend (?) of your plans :)

-update: with hands and sword, are they good enough?
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by elio on 28 Apr 2008, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

elio wrote: -update: with hands and sword, are they good enough?
They're awesome! They look a bit like Tango icons I think.

Since I see above that you've given permission to commit these under the GPL I've taken the liberty to do so. See http://trac.wz2100.net/browser/trunk/da ... ntend2.svg or frontend2.svg or.

I've attached this licensing statement to the top of the SVG file (hey it's XML alright!).

Does your name look good to you like that? Or would you prefer to have your full name there? (I.e. I usually put "Giel van Schijndel" for myself there).
Last edited by Giel on 29 Apr 2008, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

thanks, i would prefer Elio Gubser :)
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

elio wrote: thanks, i would prefer Elio Gubser :)
Done.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh