Trained
Trained

How do you rotate a graphical model?

Post by MIH-XTC »

I'm working with the following model of a rocket array:
gnhmslaa2.pie
rocket array
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

Currently the rockets face downward and can be used on a VTOL to shoot downward.

However, I'm trying to use it as a structure emplacement.

The structure version is upside down and facing backwards.

I need to rotate it 180 degrees in both the X and Y direction so that it shoots upward and faces forward.

Can someone do this for me or is it possible in a text editor?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: How do you rotate a graphical model?

Post by Berg »

This is the model in wmit .
rocket
rocket
gnhmslaa2.pie.png (114.1 KiB) Viewed 16030 times
The Green axis is Z.
It looks to be facing up.
That model in used is a few places i suspect.
What is the path to that pie file.
I can only find gnhmsla.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Berg wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 20:56 This is the model in wmit
The Green axis is Z.
It looks to be facing up.
That model in used is a few places i suspect.
What is the path to that pie file.
I can only find gnhmsla.
Okay thanks, I'll check out WMIT. I need to get a graphics viewer eventually, I've just been putting it off

That model doesn't exist in the game yet, it came from the contingency mod. It's a mashup of the seraph emplacement but using the MRA skins. I'm going to make a mini ripple rocket out of it if I can get it to fire in the right direction. Contingency mod used it on VTOLs.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

If you look at the model is has many connectors it maybe your using the wrong one.
Also check you configuration it maybe stating its a VTOL and not a structure.
This will make it face the wrong way.
For a hint on how its done check out the connectors on the ripple rockets they are not used on vtol
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Hm, we really need to make sticky post for WMIT in artwork section with some guides.

MIH-XTC, you need to use mirroring options in transformation tab. In save dialog you should check only connectors directive.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

I think it's due to having huge elevation values with the "Rocket-MRL-Homing-Hvy" weapon . It looks normal when it isn't trying to target something.

Code: Select all

"maxElevation": 90, (currently 800)
"minElevation": -30, (currently 500)
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 17:59 I think it's due to having huge elevation values with the "Rocket-MRL-Homing-Hvy" weapon . It looks normal when it isn't trying to target something.

Code: Select all

"maxElevation": 90, (currently 800)
"minElevation": -30, (currently 500)

Oh wow you're right. That was my debugging attempt and I'm aware it's like that but was not aware that was the cause....

I've tested the min/max Elevation attribute several times and each time it seems to have no bearing... I was thinking that it was referring to the trajectory of the projectile and I was trying to create a slow arch effect.

Apparently the elevation attribute effects the turret as well then. But I still don't understand what is being referred to in terms of min/max elevation. I thought maybe it referred to VTOL flight/attack behavior.

For the people not aware, I changed the min/max elevation attribute on the model and apparently it effects the turret orientation.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

MIH-XTC wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 19:22 I've tested the min/max Elevation attribute several times and each time it seems to have no bearing... I was thinking that it was referring to the trajectory of the projectile and I was trying to create a slow arch effect.

Apparently the elevation attribute effects the turret as well then. But I still don't understand what is being referred to in terms of min/max elevation. I thought maybe it referred to VTOL flight/attack behavior.
The elevation attributes only affect turret pitch meaning how far up or down the model can move from its "base" state. So it's a visual kind of thing. You may have been confusing it with the flightSpeed attribute, which determines how fast or slow projectiles moves (which apparently has some kind limits itself: #2872).
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Yea that makes sense now, they're the upper and lower limits used in conjunction with the recoil attribute. So it's purely a turret effect then.

Yes flightSpeed definitely has some physics limits because I set it to 5 and the ripple rockets still fired near same speed. Upper limits are another story, I set mech cyborg rail/laser to 5000 and it makes it seem intimidating
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Setting archangel to 5 or changing ripple rockets to homing-indirect and setting to 5 should work, though. Plain indirect artillery gets a minimum speed due to being affected by gravity, but needing to be able to reach the target.