Cutscene upscaling

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Cutscene upscaling

Post by pastdue »

Tzeentch wrote: 29 May 2021, 17:03 I would like some reviews of my original re-encoded content to see about replacing LQ and standard with it, and it can then also be used for anyone else to work from with regards to upscaling. Pastdue and cybersphinx? I'm not sure who has write perms to the WZ Sourceforge videos.
Current (and past) versions of WZ only support (and expect) Theora for the video format, so we couldn’t replace those files with VP9 versions (although I have on my to-do list exploring adding VP9 support going forward - no idea when / if I’ll have time though).
Tzeentch wrote: 29 May 2021, 17:03 Phase 2, for your testing on upscaling double check my linked sequences if you need to because those should be the best to work from.
I believe Phase II is working from the original source / files on disc.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Ok, well when you come to do it you'll have those files ready. I'll keep them safe.
So I will do again and change to Theora format, then they can be replaced. mkv container format ok?

Edit - done in Theora, Size 223MB. Looks good. I have fixed the cropping issue, can I replace the current in place video for low quality?
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

All I need to is to replace the LQ version cutscenes on SourceForge. Can i be given access or share with someone who does to replace with my videos that conform to the standard?
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Tzeentch wrote: 29 May 2021, 20:47 Ok, well when you come to do it you'll have those files ready. I'll keep them safe.
So I will do again and change to Theora format, then they can be replaced. mkv container format ok?

Edit - done in Theora, Size 223MB. Looks good. I have fixed the cropping issue, can I replace the current in place video for low quality?
I believe we only support Ogg container format at this time. (Should be a Theora-encoded video in an Ogg container with a Vorbis audio stream, IIRC.)
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

Yeah that is specific, some tools out there appear to have removed the ogg container format.
Theora video and Vorbis audio is fine.
Guess I will just wait until VP9 is explored and if possible moving to mkv container. Easier to work with out of the box.

Of interest - https://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=r ... %40gna.org
Phase II
Trained
Trained

Post by Phase II »

Finished, finally. All cutscenes upscaled with custom trained models. https://sourceforge.net/projects/wz2100 ... ences-ogg/ It has been a long journey, learning how to get AI to produce useful results, with such a small training set of high quality renders.
I believe these cutscenes are high enough quality to be considered being made into an official install option. Thoughts on how to proceed?
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Nice work, but my attempts with devestation months ago looked better with less artifacts and they ran smooth with no stuttering. Even then it did not make it into a release. 👀

(do not watch online):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qRMFzb ... sp=sharing

panrt26
New user

Post by panrt26 »

Post by Phase II:
Hi, i download sequences but where i paste .tar? Thanks.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

It may be best that this is redone from scratch.
The files we provided here will need encoding again and up-scaling content effectively does depends upon having good source input from the original source - which is my plan to provide.

Order is:
Obtain all orig files in the native RPL format ( I can/will obtain these ) (+add them all to the WZ VCS historical git/archive ) separate from "sequences.wz"
Use the tool rpl2avi to convert all files (+ provide the rpl2avi converter for native use for anyone else)
Convert those uncompressed raw files into the current appropriate format for WZ until VP9 and AV1 can be used etc. <- without any perceivable drop in quality from the raw rpl format.
Update all files hosted ( we don't need LQ, HQ and medium, just .. 1 dir with all videos will suffice ) - Going by the DL numbers, everyone (95%+) uses HQ

From here you can upscale all those files etc as you wish.