Qt

For code related discussions and questions
Commander_Alt_F4
Greenhorn

Re: Qt

Post by Commander_Alt_F4 »

hello

honestly using qt was an better alternative since is an complete framework

besides i dont understand why font rendering is slow, but you can make an alternative and create textures for each font,or a texture atlas, i did one for my project

the only problem i can find that the game is slow is because the game isnt optimized nor is cached, well somehow when im free i will give a look at the code
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

The unoptimized thing has been a problem since day 1, but for some reason its more important to add new features than to make the existing ones run at a decent speed. :roll:

I have a good (2.6GHz) dual core and a 8600 GT but the sdl version really chugs (10-11 FPS) at times. The QT version is about as fast as the SDL version in my experience.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Ditto @ the above. Nightlies don't really run well for me either. Terrible down-frame spiking, audio stuttering, etc. They aren't optimized, yet.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

milo christiansen wrote:The unoptimized thing has been a problem since day 1, but for some reason its more important to add new features than to make the existing ones run at a decent speed. :roll:

I have a good (2.6GHz) dual core and a 8600 GT but the sdl version really chugs (10-11 FPS) at times. The QT version is about as fast as the SDL version in my experience.
What new features do you speak of ?

Both versions of the game still use brute force for pretty much everything.
It isn't exactly easy to make a new engine for WZ, when nobody has the time to do it.
It isn't easier to modify the old engine either, since it is full of quirks/hacks, and adding hacks on top of hacks isn't really wise.
Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Ditto @ the above. Nightlies don't really run well for me either. Terrible down-frame spiking, audio stuttering, etc. They aren't optimized, yet.
The 'master' builds use openALsoft, so, if there are sound problems, then MAKE A TICKET (or comment on the one that is there--if it is there), since it is easy to forget this kind of stuff.
and it ends here.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Per wrote:
macuser wrote:On my Quad core 4gb ram nvidia gt 240 1GB machine I get ~20fps average.
And again I ask: Is this from the Qt snapshot, or the master snapshot, and what fps count did you get on the other snapshot?
Both
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

milo christiansen wrote:I have a good (2.6GHz) dual core and a 8600 GT but the sdl version really chugs (10-11 FPS) at times. The QT version is about as fast as the SDL version in my experience.
That sounds really bad, i had my smooth performance on a much more low-end hardware (an old 3.2GHz pentium4 (like 7 years old or so, single core, of course), ati x1950gt or hd3450)
Commander_Alt_F4
Greenhorn

Post by Commander_Alt_F4 »

Buginator wrote: What new features do you speak of ?

Both versions of the game still use brute force for pretty much everything.
It isn't exactly easy to make a new engine for WZ, when nobody has the time to do it.
It isn't easier to modify the old engine either, since it is full of quirks/hacks, and adding hacks on top of hacks isn't really wise.
Indeed, i didnt see the code on the git but at least i saw the source of the latest master release, even though i was surprised by the libpng dependency

I have to say one thing, thats really a bunch of code, even worse, is c with standard c++ and qt c++ together wich mean a BIG bunch of code.

So yes its harder to modify the old engine than create a new one.

Gonna see the git