Just a new way - help would be appreciated

For code related discussions and questions
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Just a new way - help would be appreciated

Post by Rman Virgil »

Well, in all fairness, there is FOSS... and there is FOSS*.

The initial demarcation is a project that starts life as FOSS and one that has a second life as FOSS* but started as closed proprietary - WZ falling in the later category.

As an end user I avail myself of both FOSS and paid proprietary software. My criteria is simply what works best for what I want to do. Same with OS's. Right now, between all my devices, I'm running most OS's out there.

Now that accounts for the tech side but not what I call the cultural divide.

This cultural divide can be quickly defined as those who hold to TANSTAAFL and those who think there are vast domains of exception to this. I fall in the former camp and think the real difference between the 2 is that one follows closely doubly entry cost accounting and the other keeps a lot of stuff "off the books" and hidden, thus creating the illusion of "free" across the board.

However, to do this subject justice we must confront what comes formally under the heading of "The Commons" and in our time the related concepts & laws have reached a critical mass in complexity as well as what to do legally in many areas of endeavor going forward.

Until just a few years ago I was very ignorant of this subject till inspired by a friendly polemic with Freddy, I dug in to educate myself - starting with Eric Raymond's The Cathedral and the Bazaar, to all of Lawrence Lessig's work (esp. Free Culture: The Nature and Future of Creativity, to Chris DiBona's Open Sources 2.0: The Continuing Evolution and so on till the most recent work by Lewis Hyde Common as Air: Revolution, Art, and Ownership (Aug. 17, 2010) which I believe the most comprehensive of the lot if you have but time enough to study one work on the subject.

All that said.... I value much that has been accomplished by this project while at the same time having my differences in areas of focus (as well, even more so, in the realm of cultural values) and have endeavored to honor both streams with wit, good manners and a fair-minded aplomb. Where I have differed in goals, instead of whining or trying to persuade to my PoV, I have done my own thing through modding, mapping, scripting & the occasional source altering, to satisfy my curiosity in the area of evolving game play from unfinished stock (which has been my main impetus since the spring of '99 and with WZ Creators blessing, encouragement & support from the get go & well into the journey pre-liberation).

Lastly, I do think the game itself would benefit from a different source development approach as articulated here by both Chojun & Seismo. I know all the arguments for consolidation of efforts but there are occasions when that is just not the best thing as the differences are irreconcilable and both PoVs (goals & actions) are entitled to a right to life.

In the end we can agree to disagree without becoming disagreeable or mocking or belittling each other over those differences.

- Rman. :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Safety0ff wrote:Don't limit yourself to only one moment!
Cute O_o
Rman Virgil wrote:In the end we can agree to disagree without becoming disagreeable or mocking or belittling each other over those differences.
---

Since I have a bit of time off the rest of the week, I think it's about time I dug out the WZ2200 source. I've got it somewhere on a VM. Sharing this, I think, might be my final hurrah for Warzone 2100. One regret I have is that my new business & career in general has eaten up my free time and sadly fun & interesting things like Warzone have to take a permanent back seat.

I can't promise anything spectacular with the source but I wish certain people would have listened to me throughout the years and put the Linux/scripting/netcode/graphics stuff on hold and focused on Warzone's essence and it's core. Anyone seen the movie Inception? :...:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Inception... yea... interesting movie & an apropos inference. :3

Even more fascinating for me (& where the movie derives some of its inspiration), especially in this ecology of interruption technologies, is the work over the last decade in the cognitive sciences that is also relevant to the game's design as much as to its current center stage culture. Couple specific examples would be CTA (Cognitive Task Analysis) to GPM-UI design and the Invisible Gorilla experiments to a litany of cognitive traps evident daily as just the norm for maintaining the edifice as fortress.

It's said that hindsight is always 20-20 as if it's a law of nature but that's only true if the unwavering eye on the prize is learning come what may. However, more often than not, learning is trumped by agenda &/or conditioned response unquestioned.

I would venture to guess Chojun that if you ULed the source you've worked on to a Source Forge project that Seismo and others would benefit in pursuing this line of development - and by extension, the game itself long term.

- RV :hmm:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust