lack of testing and working on new stuff?

For code related discussions and questions
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Re: lack of testing and working on new stuff?

Post by Crymson »

EvilGuru wrote:
Crymson wrote:On the subject matter, why work on new things when there are tons of bugs that should be fixed before more features are made?
Because I/we can. It is as simple as that. Overall, when someone contributes their time to the project, the project benefits. Now -- unfortunately -- it is not possible to dictate how people who contribute to the project do so. If I want to go bug hunting, I'll go bug hunting, if I want to add stored templates functionality, I'll do that. Either way the project benefits. But do not assert the fallacious argument that we should be fixing bugs as opposed to working on 'new' things. Put simply: if I was not working on something new I probably wouldn't be working at all on Warzone. It is just not how I divide up my time.

Polemically yours, Freddie.
If there isn't a concentrated effort to squash bugs, then isn't that digging a deeper and deeper hole that you will never get out of ?
Which leads to a game that is more and more unstable as time goes on ?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Crymson wrote:If there isn't a concentrated effort to squash bugs, then isn't that digging a deeper and deeper hole that you will never get out of ?
Pot, kettle, Mr. "I Write Patches that Make the Code Less Readable and Maintainable and Are Hacks that Cover Up Bugs Instead of Actually Fixing Them". On second thought, probably not a correct characterization.

Nearly all of us who write patches are generally committed to fixing the bugs we introduce, and we often do fix whatever other bugs we can. But for those of us who don't know how to fix any of the bugs left open on the tracker, what are we supposed to do? Sit around and do nothing?
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Zarel wrote:
Crymson wrote:If there isn't a concentrated effort to squash bugs, then isn't that digging a deeper and deeper hole that you will never get out of ?
Pot, kettle, Mr. "I Write Patches that Make the Code Less Readable and Maintainable and Are Hacks that Cover Up Bugs Instead of Actually Fixing Them".
WTF ? O_o
The patch that I did, did not make anything less readable nor unmaintainable. It wasn't a hack either. It will be used to find out where the problem is coming from, since the pointers were getting out of bounds. That in turn helps you find the real location of the problem.
Sorry you can't understand basic debugging practices. Then again, if you did, then you wouldn't need to write a fix multiple times. :roll:
Nearly all of us who write patches are generally committed to fixing the bugs we introduce, and we often do fix whatever other bugs we can. But for those of us who don't know how to fix any of the bugs left open on the tracker, what are we supposed to do? Sit around and do nothing?
If you don't know how, then you learn, and try adding more code to narrow the problem down--You know, like the patch I did.
Your one smug elitist. :annoyed:

Have it you way, have fun with the project, I know I won't be doing anything anymore, it isn't worth wasting anymore of my time.

Buginator, good luck buddy, your going to need it, and when you read this, delete my account. Thanks.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Crymson wrote:WTF ? O_o
The patch that I did, did not make anything less readable nor unmaintainable. It wasn't a hack either. It will be used to find out where the problem is coming from, since the pointers were getting out of bounds. That in turn helps you find the real location of the problem.
Sorry you can't understand basic debugging practices. Then again, if you did, then you wouldn't need to write a fix multiple times. :roll:
Okay, okay, it was a good patch, I misspoke. I still think you should've used #defines. And detecting that a pointer's corrupted doesn't really help unless you can detect when it became corrupted, which is why we've had very little progress fixing all those corruption bugs yet.
Crymson wrote:If you don't know how, then you learn, and try adding more code to narrow the problem down--You know, like the patch I did.
Your one smug elitist. :annoyed:
See above. Practically all of our remaining bugs are memory corruption bugs, for which detecting that parts of memory are corrupted really doesn't help narrow down when/how it became corrupted.

Furthermore, if an elitist is someone who contributes to an open-source project but doesn't fix exactly the bugs you tell them to fix, then pretty much everyone here but Buginator is an elitist.

You know why I don't fix bugs as often lately? Because I've already fixed all the ones I know how to fix. Nowadays, all I fix are regressions, and currently, there are only a few of those, and those happen to be pretty high on my priority list. When I joined the project, my expertise was on balance, website improvement, and UI. And that's also what most of my current feature patches are: fixes for UI bugs. I do wish to eventually learn how to fix these harder-to-fix bugs, but is it so wrong for me to do what I'm good at, instead of dropping everything and working on what you tell me to?
Crymson wrote:Have it you way, have fun with the project, I know I won't be doing anything anymore, it isn't worth wasting anymore of my time.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.

You're going to leave the project because you disagree with me? It's not like I lead the Project. It's not like I ever overrule anyone else when I disagree with them. I may not say it often, but I encourage people to voice contrary opinions when they disagree with me.