Two Sound Effects for one Weapon

For code related discussions and questions
Chiana
New user

Two Sound Effects for one Weapon

Post by Chiana »

Good Day. I would like to know if it is in any way possible to have 2x sound FX for one weapon. For Example, the startup sound of the Turret moving/targeting followed by the firing of the weapon. I am quite new to modding and I'm having some fun with designing more realistic sound fx for turrets and moving weapons. Some weapons need a .05 second delay before firing. Some help with that would be kind too.
In fact, Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Re: Two Sound Effects for one Weapon

Post by aliswe »

I believe that two effects eg. when firing isn't possible, haven't checked though.

If you have any suggestions for updating the SFX then by all means, post it here. IMO the effects are a little bland.
Chiana
New user

Post by Chiana »

Thank you very much for the reply.
Updating the sound Fx? You mean remastering the Sounds or re-coding the sound engine? because I am nowhere near that level.
I have been fishing around the net for free SFX and editing them to replace the current set. Slow going though.The 16 bit OGG file type does not make it easy. I do however have had success with a few samples.
The Grounshaker has sounds for Firing and Air-Travel. I just can't seem to figure out how that works.Thus it suggests that all the weapons are able to do so. Implementing that method could eg have a Lasercannon build up a charge (sound) followed by the discharge sound if timed correctly.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Chiana wrote: 07 May 2020, 17:31I have been fishing around the net for free SFX and editing them to replace the current set.
If you're interested in distributing them, or suggesting them for future inclusion in the game distribution, please be sure you have links to all of their official licensing information for each file, and (for bundling with the game) that the licenses are compatible with GPLv2+.

If you just want to do this for personal use, it's less of a concern. :lecture: 8)
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Post by aliswe »

OK, got it. Chiana, can you in any case, regardless of license, give an example on a sample you think is vastly superior? (and link to the current one as well)

Would be nice to check out and compare.
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

There are already multiple effects for some things, e.g. unit start, loop and stop sounds. Though not all of them are ever used.

Some weapons, like machineguns, really need loop this loop-end model (or start-loop-end). Without this it's impossible to make longer echo for them without making sound too rare (e.g. hurricane would really sound atmospheric if used long echo, near-similar to HVC).

Besides:

Samples distance parameter - suggests, there could be multiple sounds with different distances for same effect. To minimize load - only two closest sounds could be mixed. Would allow really atmospheric sounds.

And if attempting to make stereo - for now they are not panned, so additional mono sound may be necessary, which means using both for same sound with same parameters (until there's smart panning system for such resources).
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.