Moving Moving, Moved?

For code related discussions and questions
AndyManCan4
New user

Moving Moving, Moved?

Post by AndyManCan4 »

Hello Gamer Citizens of the Internet,

I come before you a man, who can code, (C, C++, Java, JavaScript, etc.). I'm looking to get started doing some DEV work with this project. I have my DEV builds from latest branch on GITHUB working no problems on my Linux box.
However, I have crashed and burned with building from GIT on Windows, and I really want to have a "test" windows machine to make sure I don't break things on WIN PC.
However, can't we start looking into documentation? I would be happy to help updating the Development "Cheat Sheets", most are very out dated and things have changed in the project and tools etc. Plus there are a million more options for Windows (on Windows 8 and 10) like MING W, sysv, and Chocolatey.
Anyway, let me know where I can get the D/L on setting up my DEV stack on Windows. Is Community edition 2019 an option now for builds? Or still 2017 because of CMAKE integration?
Anyway, that's my main current question, and any pointer to HOWTO develop on Windows for War Zone 2100 would help as well!
Thanks In Advance!
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Moving Moving, Moved?

Post by Forgon »

We would appreciate more contributors.

Once you have picked a new task, like updating our documentation,
someone might join you but you need to make the first move.

Alternatively, you could review some of our pull requests or fix
outstanding issues.

You can use a free Windows 10 VM provided by Microsoft for testing.
Compile instructions for MSVC are found here.
ThinkSome
Trained
Trained

Post by ThinkSome »

It seems that the free windows VMs expire in two weeks? That means you have to re-download every other week?
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

AndyManCan4 wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 19:11
However, I have crashed and burned with building from GIT on Windows, and I really want to have a "test" windows machine to make sure I don't break things on WIN PC.
https://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15159
I hope this helps you.

Thank you for your responsiveness.
We do not have a programming guide for this game. We are following the path of simplification.
A lot of old code still remains.
When the code has a modular structure, it will be easier to write a guide.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

ThinkSome wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 23:00 It seems that the free windows VMs expire in two weeks? That means you have to re-download every other week?
They expire 3 months if they are activated.
Edit: Whoops i've noticed that's a different one. The one i used expires 3 months.