Disappearing units

For code related discussions and questions
RBMW-Collector
Trained
Trained

Disappearing units

Post by RBMW-Collector »

Hi all! I found out some strange behavior of barricaded factory. If we completely blocks all space around factory, it becomes unable to produce units. Actually units disappeares in walls so production continues :(
Attachments
shot.jpg
shot.jpg (161.23 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
AKA Redemptor. Map designer
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Re: Disappearing units

Post by Hesterax »

Laugh Out Loud (Or you could just say LOL) XD
By the way, do you think that this is a serious bug that needs to be fixed or do you think that you can just let it pass?
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

This is a griefers paradise - in MP you get them sometimes walling in your factories like this...frustrating, but even then if there is a griefer on your team they can find enough other ways to cause grief without walling in your factories.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Rommel wrote:This is a griefers paradise - in MP you get them sometimes walling in your factories like this...frustrating, but even then if there is a griefer on your team they can find enough other ways to cause grief without walling in your factories.
I'm surprised that anyone would wall their factory like this, especially the entrance.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Now let's imagine in the "real world" if one completely walled in some kind of production factory... I believe that in a short amount of time we would start to witness some "strange behavior".

This is one of those things that are possible, but not likely and to fix the issue of units disappearing would probably mean them "reappearing" at some stage (probably when the walls were removed). This would allow for a cunning little piece of deception - you could wall in all your factories and just keep producing units - then when the enemy over extends himself thinking you are a noob you can bust out and put heavy rain on his sunny day :)

Other possible fixes would be:

Have units appear on other side of wall(s) touching factory - this would become interesting if the user made walls of such a depth that he could literally teleport large distances with his units.

In my opinion the best (doesn't stop griefers unfortunately) way would be to just have the system auto pause production if this happens.
Seems to me absurd
~
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

then when the enemy over extends himself
He already wins, because he controls more oil, and spent less oils on walls, the rest being the same.
auto pause production if this happens
Yes, obviously.
Now, since this was posted in "coding", i assume the author is going to code it? :roll:
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

NoQ wrote:
then when the enemy over extends himself
He already wins, because he controls more oil, and spent less oils on walls, the rest being the same.
auto pause production if this happens
Yes, obviously.
Now, since this was posted in "coding", i assume the author is going to code it? :roll:
I was thinking more along the lines of NTW where oil is not so stingy that a few walls will effect the output of units.
Seems to me absurd
~
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Your allies die and you can't help them. Your outer defenses die, and you can't reinforce them with your army. You reach the unit cap, your units get outdated, you want to recycle them before they made their first shot, but you can't do even that. And all you get for this is a surprise.

If you produce units that aren't supposed to engage in combat instantly, you're already dead. Better save money and produce more advanced units when they are needed. This applies to any RTS, even to this NTW thing of yours.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

NoQ wrote:Your allies die and you can't help them. Your outer defenses die, and you can't reinforce them with your army. You reach the unit cap, your units get outdated, you want to recycle them before they made their first shot, but you can't do even that. And all you get for this is a surprise.

If you produce units that aren't supposed to engage in combat instantly, you're already dead. Better save money and produce more advanced units when they are needed. This applies to any RTS, even to this NTW thing of yours.
Do you mean defensive structures as "units that aren't supposed to engage in combat instantly," or is it meant for something else for example; trucks.
Leonidas
New user

Post by Leonidas »

Hi! (By the way, my normal nickname when playing WZ2100 is d0rk, but on the forums I must have a nick greater than 6 characters, apparently.)

Just wanted to say I think this bug is a problem for a couple of reasons.

For starters, the bug doesn't exist only with walls. If you (I) build gates all the way around a factory, the units are "produced" but they immediately disappear/cease to exist. Shouldn't a gate be lowered somewhere and the unit be able to exist, as units can drive over/through gates? In a normal low-oil map this usually isn't a problem, but in high-oil NTW maps I've found it sometimes helpful to build a quick wall/gate system surrounding my factories--a quick workaround for this problem is to leave at least one empty tile directly beside the factory...is there some way this can be fixed though?

What if I build walls all around my VTOL factory? Couldn't those VTOL units still be able to be produced? (I'm not sure where they should go... maybe hover airborne above the factory until given a command?)

Btw, I'd be interested in getting involved in development, esp. doing builds for Mac, as that is my main computer at this time.