Updating the Original Campaign

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Updating the Original Campaign

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

So I'm poking around with ways to get Campaign 4 working, and I end up with something potentially more valuable.

I submit the following screenshots for consideration:
wz2100-20120630_055233-CAM_1A.jpg
wz2100-20120630_055219-CAM_1A.jpg
wz2100-20120630_055122-CAM_1A.jpg
What is this? We've got the entire MP dataset working on Campaign mode. We've also got a slightly tweaked cam1a map (IN Campaign mode!) with some prettification.

This is my current base.wz for beta11. No problems at all.

I would like to know if there is any interest in "Updating" the Original Campaigns to make them more flavorful and tasty. :ninja: We can either

a) have ME do it (and put my own spin on things)

b) make this a community effort.

c) tell me to leave it alone. :lol2:

Vote time!
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Re: Updating the Original Campaign

Post by Emdek »

As it was discussed earlier somewhere, I would like to see it (current campaigns) updated a bit (more challenging) while old version would be available as mod.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Your screenshots are cool but I assume they are more like a tech demo and not your suggestion on how to change the campaign.
In my opinion, we should not radically change the contents of the original campaign. I suggest limiting it to adding some landscape detail and touching up the maps to fit the new graphics better. Some weapons could be changed as long as they do not affect the storyline/level design of the campaign.
Also as Emdek said, making the missions slightly more challenging wouldn't hurt.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Yep, just a technical demonstration. I figured that some Cam 3 and Mysteryem features, Dragon-Seraph-Gauss and Tac.Sgt. Gibbs on Cam1a with Mysteryem terrain textures and crater features from Cam 2 would be a good way to toot the horn. :lol2:

And I agree -- some landscaping touches and enhancements along with adjusted enemy forces. More window dressing than anything else.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

And what about adding gates to research? :)
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

wz2100-20120630_111538-CAM_1A.jpg
wz2100-20120630_111523-CAM_1A.jpg
Already there and so is everything else (T-walls, L-Walls, etc). No issues at all. :D
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but I've never seen in WZ green grass smoothly blending with rabbles. It's beautiful :)
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I should note that while it would be a neat idea, I think Contingency and USM would be best served having their own Campaign(s). :P

For example, USM and perhaps NTW would be a great basis for Cam 0.

Contingency really deserves a dedicated Campaign with a unique story.

Campaign 4 will see the light of day sometime.

@ Iap: It's a mostly custom tileset made by Mysteryem. And there's been a ton of work put into the rendering engine and the new decals for cliifs. It looks friggin GREAT too. :D
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

If anyone is interested in having a play-through themselves, I'll gladly upload the modified base.wz to my Dropbox and you guys can play with it yourselves. It has to be seen in action to truly appreciate how nice it really is.

So, there. One of the things the Pumpkins wanted to get around to doing but never got the chance -- campaign mode got it's 2120 update. :P
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Alrighty folks, I figured I'd upload the modified base.wz so anyone who wants to can try it out. This really won't look right on anything less than Beta 11 Warzone.

Just place it into /mods/autoload/. You can make the directory if you don't already have one. Launch a new campaign like normal.

Download (47.2 mb)

Remember that it's just a technical preview. Enjoy!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

That terrain is awesome - but is it deviating too much from Arizona style? Could we maybe get an Arizona version of it?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Sure. I was thinking that terrain would be perfect for the Rockies set anyway.

I'll try to find some GPL 2 textures for Arizona. These were Mysteryem's so I know it's fine to use them in-game.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Alrighty, Arizona's got some new textures. Moved the "Alaska" set to Rockies, since it's more appropriate.

Interesting tidbit: Wanna know the difference between Desert Island and Arizona? Palm Trees, cliffs, and mud. Until I changed the mud and cliff textures, I was sure we were on a tropical island somewhere. ;)
wz2100-20120701_222821-CAM_1A.jpg
wz2100-20120701_222756-CAM_1A.jpg
wz2100-20120701_222703-CAM_1A.jpg
Enjoy! I'll have the new version of the mod up in a bit. Couple of finishing touches left.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Uhm guys. Those sand dunes! They are naturally directed (cause the wind blows in a certain direction). This might be the first texture ever that is clearly directed and still looks good :D

Could you post some textures themselves as image attaches, if they are re-usable and the license allows, of course? Probably to the terrain texture thread?
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I thought that as well. :D

Too bad we don't have a particle / weather system in place. Then all we do is spin the texture 90 degrees to account for wind direction.