Map Of The Week - Home Page

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Map Of The Week - Home Page

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

Someone not long ago staded something unclearly about something like that ;) where? why? I dont know ;) But let me say it in my words :)

MAybe a some kind of poll would be nice to implement on addons, or showcase, where the players would vote for their favourite map. Any map made so far would be availeble there. And for example on friday the map with the biggest amout of votes would be put on the home page, in special window, nicely with the preview, and possibility to be downloaded from there. And a nice tab, like "The map of the week" :lecture:
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Map Of The Week - Home Page

Post by aubergine »

I think it was me that mentioned it - basically show a few maps on the site's home page to increase awareness of them. There was also discussion of having different Top-10 lists, eg. most aesthetically pleasing map, best Ski map, best MP map, etc.

With new map makers appearing almost every week now, I think we are on the verge of a map making explosion and it would be awesome to showcase some of the amazing contributions from the community.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

A nice feature request for the new addons page.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

With new map makers appearing almost every week now
aubergine are you a driver if you sit for the first time in your life in a car? or are you a Christian if you enter a church? a swimmer if you enter a sea?

The sad truth is I think 80% of them will disappear soon as it hapens here all the time.. 20% of them will creat something, but from time to time, there may be one in this 20% that will think "that's it I love it!"

In the last year year there was at least two guys who were very very promissing, I even took some inspiration from them, their last posts ennds I think half year ago..

It is great that there is appearing to be so many of them, it would be excellent if those 20% stayed and what is more important evolved. It is this short term passion, and late I think sort of fame thing to do something with flame, or those slogans, lets make 3, 5, 7, 10 player maps, which is great, as we need those very much, and good ones, but some took it so seriously ;)

Anywyay I thought it was your idea, why didn't you state it clearly then ;)

Maps is half og the game, the rest is what the others work on. It is maps we see in previews, to spread Warzone, encourage people to play it, enjoy it, explore it, a well thought thing, showing maps, or map of a week, or pictures changing, at home page, is necessary, or even crucial.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Merowingg wrote:
With new map makers appearing almost every week now
aubergine are you a driver if you sit for the first time in your life in a car? or are you a Christian if you enter a church? a swimmer if you enter a sea?
O_o WTF?
The sad truth is I think 80% of them will disappear soon as it hapens here all the time.. 20% of them will creat something, but from time to time, there may be one in this 20% that will think "that's it I love it!"

In the last year year there was at least two guys who were very very promissing, I even took some inspiration from them, their last posts ennds I think half year ago..

It is great that there is appearing to be so many of them, it would be excellent if those 20% stayed and what is more important evolved. It is this short term passion, and late I think sort of fame thing to do something with flame, or those slogans, lets make 3, 5, 7, 10 player maps, which is great, as we need those very much, and good ones, but some took it so seriously ;)

Anywyay I thought it was your idea, why didn't you state it clearly then ;)

Maps is half og the game, the rest is what the others work on. It is maps we see in previews, to spread Warzone, encourage people to play it, enjoy it, explore it, a well thought thing, showing maps, or map of a week, or pictures changing, at home page, is necessary, or even crucial.
we don't need lots of maps we need a few G-O-O-D maps
most maps are worthless
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Ok crass you will be my medusa now :)

Mark my words and stay away from me.

Gentlemen I think you should stop working on new addons so hard, just chose let's say ten good maps and place it there :)

I even have a perfect candidate for person who will chose those :)

And all those new threads in showcase should be locked :) ther is no need for them now :)

Also this topic begun to be unnecessary ;)

And yes WTF WTf WTF why they disappear :(

So smart :)

Regards - Mero
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I think people will still want to post to showcase first to get feedback, before uploading to addons section (which is still "under consturction" when viewed by mere mortals like me).

Whether people continue to make maps or just make one or two is irrelevant. Everyone has to start somewhere. Formula 1 racing car drivers had to learn to drive at some point! So we need to accept that people's first attempts might not be great, and see if we can encourage them to try new things and get better over time. This is one of the reasons why I'm investing so much time in the wiki (see link in my sig) -- I want to encourage more people to make mods and maps, and want to provide them with a wealth of useful information that can help them gain required knowledge a bit faster or highlight things they might not be aware of, etc.

Pumpkin Studios, who made Warzone, had a stated goal of encouraging people to mod the game and it's through that goal that Warzone is still around today with amazing maps and mods still being made.

Not all maps and mods are going to be great, but the more people who try their hand at mapping and modding, the more likely we are to get a thriving community with lots of new ideas, and out of that community will come many new cool things.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

:)
Whether people continue to make maps or just make one or two is irrelevant. Everyone has to start somewhere. Formula 1 racing car drivers had to learn to drive at some point! So we need to accept that people's first attempts might not be great, and see if we can encourage them to try new things and get better over time.
Oh I clearly encourage them, which is clearly visible in showcase, and not only by saying "cool map bro" I just wanted you to be careful with words, and I have pointed you the sad reality..

And man about this locking the threads it was a joke :doh: :rofl2: :laugh2: you didnt get it? :hmm:

Regards - Mero
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Merowingg wrote:Ok crass you will be my medusa now :)

Mark my words and stay away from me.

Gentlemen I think you should stop working on new addons so hard, just chose let's say ten good maps and place it there :)

I even have a perfect candidate for person who will chose those :)

And all those new threads in showcase should be locked :) ther is no need for them now :)

Also this topic begun to be unnecessary ;)

And yes WTF WTf WTF why they disappear :(

So smart :)
I'll lay off the drugs nobody can understand what I'm talking about
as for staying away from you if I would stop replying to your posts :roll: :roll: :roll: :annoyed: :annoyed: :roll: :roll: :stare: :roll: O_o
Last edited by Cyp on 08 Jun 2012, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed some erroneous pronouns.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@crass: I've been passively monitoring your behavior for at least a couple weeks now, and I've been hearing nothing but flaming and insults from you without a single shred of constructiveness on your part, and I think everybody else on here agrees. In fact, if I was an admin or moderator, I'd have struck you with a 7-week-long ban-hammer right about now.

I'm posting here because I fear that you're getting close to having one of the real admins on here dropping the ban-hammer on you. Change your ways, or else...
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

lay off the drugs nobody can understand what your talking about
as for staying away from you if you would stop replying to my posts :roll: :roll: :roll: :annoyed: :annoyed: :roll: :roll: :stare: :roll: O_o
And yet you are not keen enough to ask, why do you want to call me medusa. You may add your "WTF, WTF. WTF" if it helps you.

medusa was a member who just like you were appearing here there and everywhere with all this "things" you bring, and in the way you bring, to the forum. One day he went to far and he got permbanned. To cheer you up, he did so for a little more than a month as I remember.

Yet there are so kind people here, even as my predecessor, who want to warn you from being doomed instead of looking on you to make the best bad move. Think about it, even after all thos things you have typed. If it is your goal to learn how it works to be permbanned, I think if you ask nicely they may do it for you within minutes. Or do inappropriate things but with the important people ;)

So once more, think about it.

And it was you who replied to my post, what is more in my thread. It sounds so funny :lecture: After your reply I thought you are updating some of your works.. or typing soem suggestions in Showcase, but it turned out I was wrong.

Regards - Mero
duda
Trained
Trained

Post by duda »

hello,

what about a automatic voting
from lobbyserver (log files) ?

most played (of week, moth, year)

duda
"unit is under attack!", "unit is under attack!", unit is under attack!" then i wake up ... (true story)
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

NoQ wrote:A nice feature request for the new addons page.
Yes, when is the addons page going to be updated. :hmm:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

duda wrote:hello,

what about a automatic voting
from lobbyserver (log files) ?

most played (of week, moth, year)

duda
Then NTW would be the best map for ever.
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
duda
Trained
Trained

Post by duda »

i found my idea great

did you know what NTW means?
"unit is under attack!", "unit is under attack!", unit is under attack!" then i wake up ... (true story)