Cyborgs,Mechs and size of objects...

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Cyborgs,Mechs and size of objects...

Post by Rman Virgil »

Emdek wrote:Rman Virgil, sure, but it's worth trying anyway.
There is enough big interest in them in this topic that even if everybody who shown that in this and some other mecha related topics would test them then we would have probably enough players for initial tests. ;-)

And adding more diversity (optional or standard one) and then create some buzz about that could attract new players and maybe even developers.
Could work out that way. Though that scenario prognostication is as much faith-based as seeking out the oracle of Delphi for guidance. ;)

To attract new Devs is always a good thing. But I would posit that attracting new MP players and organizing some of them into an MP Playtesting Team would be an equally good thing - serving a core essential, & practical, need and considerably less faith-based to boot. :3

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Rman Virgil, maybe it would be a good idea to even create some special forum group for them, if there would be enough volunteers and such task force would work for at least few weeks. But we would need some leader for them if we would proceed with such task.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Emdek wrote:Rman Virgil, maybe it would be a good idea to even create some special forum group for them, if there would be enough volunteers and such task force would work for at least few weeks. But we would need some leader for them if we would proceed with such task.
I can speak to the value of this from my intimate experience with WZ pre-liberation.

As a community we were very fortunate to have such an individual whose efforts in this area were central to everything WZ including liberation and by extention, this present reality.

This is what he brought to the table as leader of the WZ Playtesting Team for 6 years:

1.) Bonafide leadership skills: bold, broadly knowledgible, indefatigable, considerate and genuinely caring but not afraid to call out bull chit in terms of pure critical thinking and logical soundness with a flair for wit and good humor.

2.) Excellent interpersonal communicator, keeping all stakeholders in the loop and a good writer.

3.) Innovative, Pro-level MP Player & founding member of the original (and still respected all these14 years later) RBL Clan.

4.) First class, innovative, Mapper and Modder.

5.) Superb recruiter (and developer) of new talent and team members.

6.) Laison between international WZ communities and teams.

7.) Deeply committed to actually evolving WZ in ALL 3 play modes towards realizing its full potential as one of the great RTS games of all time.

8.) Advocating for WZ in the greater RTS world.

Some here will easily recognize who I was refering to. For those who donot, his nick is 4nE.

That's just about all I know on this score in a nut shell.

I would also add that this vacuum persisting is an Achilles Heel with pervasive ramifications.

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Not sure if you've seen these before - they are done by someone called XanaPrime on DeviantArt (you can download the mod at that page as well)....

ImageClick for large view
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Looks very nice, but should be a bit smaller probably (now they are huge comparing to tanks).
Also I'm curious about their license.

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I know very little about them, however the mod is downloadable from the DArt site link I posted above and may contain a license file? While I agree they are very large, they could actually pose a viable cyborg presence in to T3.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

aubergine, I've checked, and it doesn't, unless hidden it has some license header in data files... Maybe it would be a good idea to introduce in future such requirement or at least recommend it. Or introduce some kind of mod description file (INI or something like that) and later (when GUI will be able to) display those details in game.

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I think the easiest way would just be to mandate a choice of open source license in the addons section on this site. So when people upload they can choose one of the CC licenses or GPLv2 - anything else is unacceptable (why release stuff to the community if it's not open source?!)

That will result in all things in addons section being resources for future generations of modders.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

I'm not sure if requiring those types only is needed, but for sure clearly stating which one applies to given mod could be really useful.

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I referenced Xanax's Mechs earlier in this thread.

I collaborated with Xanax when I was creating "War School" and used his Mechs. I have his personal email and can get in touch but that won't be necessary.

Xanax's assets are properly licenced for this project. In fact Devolper Zarel made a stand alone mod of them a few years ago for the v.2.3x series which was distroed from these bbs.

Let's try for that nappy again. :3

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Rman - that's great news! I'd be very interested to learn more about the mods after you've had your nap. Now go sleep!!
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Yeah, i already added it to my old CTT mod, and I believe I checked the licensing in the mod readme, or maybe here on the forum.. anyway it was reusable.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
iamaloner
Trained
Trained

Post by iamaloner »

Well I hope that one day this is going to be implemented... anyway bump