units designation aborted after repair??

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
meeso
Trained
Trained

units designation aborted after repair??

Post by meeso »

when i assign a unit as no.x, as soon as it goes to repair it immediately and automatically looses the designation x. Why? i think a unit should retain its designation number even after repair. no?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: units designation aborted after repair??

Post by Per »

It is a convenience feature. Otherwise you'd pull it back into combat and off repair duty when you re-select the group with the number key and click to move/attack somewhere.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Isn't that what commanders are for?
We want information... information... information.
meeso
Trained
Trained

Post by meeso »

Per wrote:It is a convenience feature. Otherwise you'd pull it back into combat and off repair duty when you re-select the group with the number key and click to move/attack somewhere.
you press group x, then choose damage threshold, then attack. those lower than the threshold stop being chosen but continue to bear the x designation. in other words, if a unit x is heavily damaged and in its way to be repaired the player is responsible to attack only with healthy units of the x group, and thus exclude damage units from the attack order.

1. press x
2. select damage threshold (which will automatically select healthy units and exclude damaged ones)
3. attack with the remaining healthy units of group x while damaged ones go to repair.

repaired x units should not loose the designation x in that process while they're being repaired.
i'm not sure u got me !!! :)
meeso
Trained
Trained

Post by meeso »

cybersphinx wrote:Isn't that what commanders are for?
I have no idea what commanders are for and i don't think there can be place for them in a game so fast-paced as wz! :)
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

meeso wrote:
I have no idea what commanders are for and i don't think there can be place for them in a game so fast-paced as wz! :)
And that's exactly what the commanders are for. So it must be the same for your idea :3
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
meeso
Trained
Trained

Post by meeso »

yes .. commanders are one thing, what i'm talking about here is another .. you see i do not want to worry about building commander turrets and assigning units to it .. i just want the repair process to change ... no interest whatsoever in commanders !! Commanders is one way to do it, maybe, but there is no need to use commander SOLELY for this purpose.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

One obvious solution is to enter SQL-like SELECT statements in the command console, something like:
select droids where unit_id = "1" and damage < MEDIUM_DAMAGE and weapon_type = "cannon"
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

IIRC commanders are currently "buggy" about attaching and detaching units in MP.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

select droids where unit_id = "1" and damage < MEDIUM_DAMAGE and weapon_type = "cannon"
; DROP TABLE all_enemy_units :D
Last edited by NoQ on 28 Sep 2011, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@SQL lol :P
@Topic: We need to remeber that for some people, the detaching of repaired units from the group is actually the desired behaviour.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

btw, obviously six units per commander is intended in mp, but it makes command turret completely worthless, at least to me.
would anyone care to revert this change?
Also known as Subsentient.
meeso
Trained
Trained

Post by meeso »

Jorzi wrote:@SQL lol :P
@Topic: We need to remeber that for some people, the detaching of repaired units from the group is actually the desired behaviour.
Then it becomes the responsibility of the player to make the change, not that of the system!! all these things which happen automatically without you being able to control them should change, this includes artillery weapons and structures firing automatically without you being able to stop them; sometimes resulting in mortars firing at your own building and units when enemy units approach your own. You know, at least let's make it optional. click a button to decide what repair process you want, and click another button to just stop these freaking mortars from firing at your own stuff. or just to stop. it's my army, i have the RIGHT to shut down some weapons i don't want to use!! LOL
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

bendib wrote:btw, obviously six units per commander is intended in mp, but it makes command turret completely worthless, at least to me.
would anyone care to revert this change?
+1
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Do you guys have in mind that this number of maximum controlled units per commander unit can be increased each time it reaches a higher rank than Rookie?

The Command Turret come in handy in singleplayer campaign and skirmish, helping assigned units to achieve better perfomance in-combat.

This can be applied in MP, but it's rare to to see someone making use of it, especially in competitive matches.

BP