restart

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
medusa
Trained
Trained

restart

Post by medusa »

from what per and cybersphinx said in the feedback forum, why not just drop the trunk snapshot since it is in such bad disrepair and start fixing 2.3.8 again with stuff that works from the trunk snapshots?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: restart

Post by lav_coyote25 »

because i for one would rather the 2.3.8 would just go away ... and use the master to go to 2.3.9 or whatever the next one is... 2.3.8 is so last year.
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

but if the trunk snapshot is so broken then why bother?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Do you want to go through over two years of commits to backport useful changes from master into a new branch, feature by feature? Sometimes I think that might be a good idea. But no, I don't want to do it, and so far nobody else either.
We want information... information... information.
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

two years? O_o
I had no idea you guys have been working on it so long, I even made a list and I only see 3 or 4 things different.
what went wrong then?
I could go through two years of commits to see what should be moved to 2.3.8 from that master just tell me how.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Well, 2.2 was branched from master (then trunk) early 2009. 2.3 got some networking code backported, so a higher version number, but it is basically 2.2.

If you have the repo cloned, any proper git ui (I like tig for that) should accept the "origin/2.3...origin/master" notation, that shows the commits differing in the two branches (of course we used svn then, and git will probably list lots of commits in both branches, since it can't recognize those are the same).
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

isn't there a easier way to handle this?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

I don't know one.

Well, maybe you could find equivalent commits with a script, but the more the branches differ, the more the commits will differ as well.
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

using agit it is too limited to do anything.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Uhm, git for android? Aren't android devices in general too limited to do anything useful? Ok, that's getting a bit off-topic, but I at least want a proper screen, keyboard and mouse for anything development related.
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

I thought you just wanted a list of things that the main guys can read and do whatever they do to fix things?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Let me quote and clarify myself here:
cybersphinx wrote:Do you want to [...] backport useful changes from master into a new branch, feature by feature? [one branch per feature, not everything mixed together again]
As I said, the interest in 2.3 is low. I might help if this gets some momentum, but alone... no.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

medusa wrote:I thought you just wanted a list of things that the main guys can read and do whatever they do to fix things?
ok, how many coders do you think we have here???? are you willing to help with the coding??? if not, we have a lot of testing to be done, surely you can do something???
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
medusa wrote:I thought you just wanted a list of things that the main guys can read and do whatever they do to fix things?
ok, how many coders do you think we have here???? are you willing to help with the coding??? if not, we have a lot of testing to be done, surely you can do something???
your page shows six active developers and 10 inactive developers.
testing a version that is more broken than something that it replaces is a waste of time.
that is why I started these topics.
this is not a slam against the developers but this new version has been going on for at least two years without a release that means something is seriously wrong with it.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

your page shows six active developers and 10 inactive developers.
testing a version that is more broken than something that it replaces is a waste of time.
that is why I started these topics.
this is not a slam against the developers but this new version has been going on for at least two years without a release that means something is seriously wrong with it.

ok - is time to step up or step off.... learn to code, help out with other things... just dont keep saying this and that is not working.... the devs know... and they need assistance , not yapping about all the problems... again, just saying... not being confrontational... this is just the way i speak. :)