Suggestion: Default action when clicking

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
hartz
Greenhorn

Suggestion: Default action when clicking

Post by hartz »

As per my other post, this goes with a bit of a gripe. When I left-click on a structure, my last selected unit atacks it? Did I just do something wrong?

I find that it is sometimes un-intuitive what would happen when I click on something.

Sometimes mhen pointing, the Icon changes, eg it becomes a spanner or a hammer or a "pick-up" Icon. This doesn't always work though, or else I am just missing it.

My personal feeling is that rightclick should make the currently selected unit act, and left-click should select the new structure or unit.

I would like to suggest that rightclick should bring up a list of appropriate and relevant actions, eg for the currently selected unit.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Suggestion: Default action when clicking

Post by Zarel »

Options -> Switch mouse buttons will make left-click "select" and right-click "act".

The default is made for single-button mice.
hartz
Greenhorn

Post by hartz »

Can the default be made to automatically adjust according to whether the mouse is a single-button mouse or not?

I've never used a single-button mouse. I think most people have never used a single button mouse. I am all for portability and for not excluding minority groups, but how about a default that works for all?

Eg Left-click to select and either Alt-Click, Long-click or Right-click to act?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

The default hasn't been changed since the game was released for Windows in 1999. The reason the default was one-button mode even though Windows had two-button mice was because, at the time, RTSes were new to most players, and Windows users at the time didn't think of right-click as anything other than "open a confusing menu". Alt+click, long-click, and right-click are all associated with "advanced" functionality, not basic gameplay.

We do, however, realize that since 1999, the RTS idea of left=select right=act has become rather ubiquitous, so we're currently discussing changing the default to two-button mode on Windows and Linux. :) Is this an acceptable compromise?
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

What about mac too?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
hartz
Greenhorn

Post by hartz »

Zarel wrote:The default hasn't been changed since the game was released for Windows in 1999. The reason the default was one-button mode even though Windows had two-button mice was because, at the time, RTSes were new to most players, and Windows users at the time didn't think of right-click as anything other than "open a confusing menu". Alt+click, long-click, and right-click are all associated with "advanced" functionality, not basic gameplay.

We do, however, realize that since 1999, the RTS idea of left=select right=act has become rather ubiquitous, so we're currently discussing changing the default to two-button mode on Windows and Linux. :) Is this an acceptable compromise?
It might be that my "gripe" isn't with the way the mouse / interface works, but rather with the fact that one don't know what is possible (eg what can be configured). Maybe all that is needed is that info should be more IN-YOUR-FACE. I found the tutorial didn't teach me much (Is it really just 3 missions, or did I miss something)

I keep looking for information and find that it just isn't accessible enough. Everything appears to be documented "somewhere", eg on the web, but just not visible in the game. For example what does those little icons mean on the vehicle design screen? I guess the reason why it is pictures rather than words makes for easier translation ... and I'm sure it is documented somewhere ... but I am in the game, busy playing, and don't feel like interrupting my play to go find out something. So I want to point (hover) the mouse cursor to get info. Or click on it or Press F1 for help ...

So I am thinking the game needs more accessible, more visible info. What is selected. What jobs are vehicle working on. What does things in the interface mean. What can be configured. Maybe startup tips (Eg You can swap the mouse-buttons around if you want left-click to be Select)

If you DO change the defaults for these things, I would suggest that the installer prompts whether you want Classic Mode (for the experienced players who just can't learn new defaults) or the New Mode.

Example: In game, on completing some research, you get one chance to see what the benefits is of a new technology. No way to see that when you decide what to research first? And no way to get that info back later (Eg from the vehicle design page)?

I love what this game is. I love how vehicles are rendered depending on the angle you are viewing from plus the angle of the ground below the vehicle. I love how vehicles explode (and the bits hop and flip away). I love how things can be hidden behind a wall or low rise in the terrain. I love how you cant shoot around corners, eg from below a cliff onto a plateau. I love the game mechanics (I read somewhere that more experienced vehicles are faster and stronger). Seems like there are some amazing Physics implemented here. Sometimes things go a bit errant, but I even like that. And none of this appears to be documented.

These are benefits of WarZone2100, and features not present in many other games, but again it isn't in your face enough ... it is almost as if the developers are unaware that people might not appreciate all the effort that went into making all these features because they don't notice the features. So many of the game's features are too easy to take for granted!

Sorry, I think I've just trolled and changed the topic of my own thread in one post.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I'm just now learning about the alternative RMB/LMB behaviors. The description of the consequence for toggle never interested me.

What bothers me about the current "alt" / 2-button behavior is that building structures is not done with RMB. I think that's rather counter-intuitive.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

effigy wrote:What bothers me about the current "alt" / 2-button behavior is that building structures is not done with RMB. I think that's rather counter-intuitive.
That was done to imitate StarCraft II.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Zarel wrote:
effigy wrote:What bothers me about the current "alt" / 2-button behavior is that building structures is not done with RMB. I think that's rather counter-intuitive.
hmm...it still seems more like an action than a selection to me.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Skirmisher44
Greenhorn

Post by Skirmisher44 »

effigy wrote:
Zarel wrote:
hmm...it still seems more like an action than a selection to me.
I think it is this way in most modern RTSes.