Should We?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Brisingr
Trained
Trained

Should We?

Post by Brisingr »

You guys have updated and kept Warzone 2100 alive and well.

But I think we are just starting to reach a point where we should start thinking "thats enough of updating Warzone" You have improved the graphics and still are and you have brought in new turrets but the campaign is starting to lack.

So here is my suggestion.

Once we feel that Warzone 2100 has gone far enough shall we slowly build a sequel?

of course first we should ask the community for ideas and we can use Warzone 2100 as a foundation.

Of course I know that there have been attempts of a sequel but have always gone into problems.

Warzone 2100 is a super game but we all have really good ideas and some are prepared to make new campaigns.

Of course we should put this forward along side the "current" Project so Warzone 2100 is still been improved but there is also places open for the ideas of Warzone 2 maybe even some Alpha Models etc.

But I do think it will be a good few years before we can do this, there are many of the original ideas by Pumking Studios that never made it ingame so there is still some tweaking and improvement before this.

Im basicly saying once we all feel that thats enough we cant improve it anymore without ruining it, are we going to take it a stage further and make a sequel?
The world will only achive peace through the fire of war.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Should We?

Post by NoQ »

thats enough of updating Warzone
Oh no. There are still a lot of problems here.
the campaign is starting to lack
The campaign remains unchanged from the very beginning, and this is the part of the policy. Also, campaign is a very little part of the game, in fact, no matter how much fun it is.
Once we feel that Warzone 2100 has gone far enough shall we slowly build a sequel?
This can be done through modding. It was discussed over 9000 times already (previous topic), but noone has actually completed it. The most successful campaign remake attempt seems to be located here.
Brisingr
Trained
Trained

Post by Brisingr »

lol I know there is still alot to do, I was just saying with the new graphics coming in and the new models slowly been done it wont be long untill everyone will start to think "is it time to move on?".

There is still tones of research, turret, propulsions and structures to put in that have been made but never put in the game (Im on about the items in the scripts and the models hovering around in the lists, im not sure but I think there was suppose to be a Cyborg Commander looking at the textures).

I know the campaign has been untouched its just the Multiplay/Skirmish is starting to get too far ahead and soon it will be like two games in one (which it almost is).

I know there are many Campaign remakes (only a rare few seem to be Successful). But they have the restrictions of Warzone 2100 and lets be honest its very hard to make a campaign with a working transporter and enemies acting well (we basicly have to make a series of skirmishes instead of missions).

All im saying is we can only do so much with Warzone 2100 as it still is limeted by the technology of the day it was made and will always be limited by it no matter how much its improved.

To make a sequel "game" and not just a mod will mean new models with slightly higer poly counts, better ways of testing structure designs, more advance unit design, proper scale navel (as in battleships, because lets face it you cant have that scale in warzone 2100 really) maybe subs too, more varity of air units + hovering vtols, subterrian units/structures and more.

If the sequel was made it would be easer to implement all the advance ideas and easer to get the new ideas in the sequel than tryng to put them in warzone 2100.

And yes there is the case of too much work for no money. Well that might not be true it is just a case of how to do the pay to everyone that adds a bit of work. Could sell the sequel as a download game maybe if people dare, could look for a publisher, maybe eidos will be intrested. Everytime someone makes something that makes it ingame they could be paid from the profits.

Of course it will be hard at first but remeber there are some Pumpking studios workers around still that are in other companies, so maybe these companies are willing to help as well.

Now you are thinking no no no, Im not saying all this has to happen within the next few years all im saying is maybe everyone should start to set the core foundations of the sequel.

The ideas.

We can think about the rest much later, even in a few generations.

I for one am planning on starting my own company, im in HND (Higher National Diploma) which is university standared in interactive media, computer graphics, arts, 3D, etc and I have always been planning on make a "Warzone Like" game.

So even if this project dosnt manage to make a sequel there will be games like warzone 2100 in the future.

Im just saying its a thought and Should We start thinking about a sequel?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Im just saying its a thought and Should We start thinking about a sequel?
:lecture: all you have to do is search . over the last number of years, there has been lots of discussions about doing another campaign. its all a matter of time, and resources. number one point to keep in mind though - EVERYONE has their own ideas of how this should be done. that is the number one stumbling block. / :lecture:
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

question i assume that when the code for warzone get released they also released what ever work they had done towards warzone 2 obviously this was never finished but would it not be possible to take the existing missions and such from that and then just turn them in to a sort of extension pack that adds an extra chapter to the campaign that might be easier rather then doing a full blown squeal
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

There were no extra maps/missions for a sequel in what was released.
Brisingr
Trained
Trained

Post by Brisingr »

Yes ideas is always a big thing.

But all we need to do is the ideas process where we think of everything in and out the box, then we slowly norrow it down untill we get the basic building blocks :lol2:

But anyway here is something to hope for.
If this dosnt happen and no one makes a sequel, "If" I get a company going and stable enough to make a free game I would get my copany to make this sequel and perhaps more (gets the company name out there so why not) but this is ONLY if I manage to get a company up a running, and ive got a long way to go :D

As for that bonus stuff O_o There is no bonus stuff but a lot of unfinished work for Warzone 2100 and a lot of leftovers from things that didnt work in a certain version.

Pumking studios did start thinking about the sequel but ran into problems which eventually made them shut down.

P.S. Thx for all your views and logic :lol2:
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Ok i think Warzone has enough maps, I thnk I will finish making them, you can use already existing ones !! :)

Buehahahhehehihihihahahha :) I cannot stand what I have just typed :)

AAAAA it is stronger than I am..

I....

I..!!!!

have to...

I HAVE TO MAKE MAPS !!!!

what a relief.. :3

From what I have typed here judge as follows :)

I think Warzone should be improved all the time.. and I do appreciate all work the guys are constantly doing, thank you very much gentlemen for all !

Speaking of sequel.. maybe not a bad idea :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
brakenfur
Trained
Trained

Post by brakenfur »

there have been a cuople of mods that have tried to do this but were never finshed if we can do it please do
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

A real sequel to warzone means to me: New game engine, new graphics, new campaign and new weapons (including old favourites) and balance. Anything else is either an expansion, a mod, or a remake.
A real sequel would propably require at least an indie game studio working on it full time, and selling it for profit under a proprietary license. It really is unrealistic to think a team would assemble in their free time and develop a full game like that for non-profit only, unless it is a simple remake or a mod.
Last edited by Jorzi on 23 Mar 2011, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Yo Brisingr,

Why don't you get yourself the UDK (http://www.udk.com/)?

Then start to build up the game on that game engine, which is more up to date than the currect game engine Warzone is built on and has lots of tutorials.

Then come back to the forum when you've made some progress on warzone 2105.

I'm sure people would join your new track once you make a start on it.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)