Different types of VTOL's

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Ztyler
New user

Different types of VTOL's

Post by Ztyler »

In the game, there is only one type of VTOL, while there are different types of wheels. What if there were different types of VTOL's?
Like how ground transport has Wheels, Half-Tracks, and Tracks, what about if you had Stealth(Faster than normal, but lower body points), Normal(Standard in game version), and Gunship(Slow, but higher body points)?
For visuals, Stealth would have long wings, kinda like today's stealth bombers, and Gunship could look like a helicopter gunship.
Just my thoughts.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Different types of VTOL's

Post by NoQ »

Wish granted, /me wants stealth plasmite bombers :D
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

NoQ wrote:Wish granted, /me wants stealth plasmite bombers :D
Wish granted, but the plasmite turns out to be stealthy too, and does no damage in order to avoid being detected.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

:lecture: excuse me please - there is already this type of topic here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6470&start=195 :lecture:

please to be back on topic. thanks. :annoyed:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Well, i guess i was pretty much on topic this time (which is getting rare, but still). I meant that this change is certain to unbalance the VTOLs by increasing their power, even though even now way too many people already cry about their being overpowered. Cyp also has a point that it'd be fine if stealth propulsion discussed in the previous message is made fragile enough, for example. Sorry for overmethaphoring (:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Nice for a mod maybe..
Although the stealth ability would need to be implemented from scratch.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jorzi wrote:Nice for a mod maybe..

Although the stealth ability would need to be implemented from scratch.
Stealth = ECM and Pumpkin's ECM code has been worked on some over the years by this project. It's a long way from scratch - was 6 years ago even... just not been a priority.

- Yebo, sanibonani, RV :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I was personally thinking of the following kinds of aircraft in general, though methinks they should be reserved for either mods or a proper or spiritual sequel for now:

Helicopters: the forerunners of VTOLs as we know them today, they'd be somewhat slow, but also somewhat durable compared to other VTOLs. Could either hover in place when attacking (which would make them more vulnerable to attack), or could perform attack runs like a bomber (which would take them a longer time to destroy their target, though would also make them more evasive).
Tiltrotor/Tiltwing VTOLs: Examples of such aircraft would include not only the real-life V-22 Osprey, but would also include the Orca aircraft from the Command & Conquer series, or the Banshee from Starcraft 2. Would be faster than helicopters, but would also have fewer HP, and would likewise be able to hover in place or perform attack runs.
VTOL Planes: A real-life example would be the Harrier attack jets. Although they possess VTOL capability, they can't (afford to) hover in place. Instead, when ordered to move to a target location, they circle it. When attacking, depending on their weapons, they must either perform attack runs, or circle their target whilst firing at them (like an AC-130 Spectre gunship). They'd be the fastest aircraft around, but would also have the least HP.
Airships: These air units would be the slowest of the bunch, but would also have the most HP. Due to their speed, they cannot perform attack runs, though they may still be able to attack while on the move. Think of them as being like the Battlecruisers from Starcraft or the Scrin's Devastator Warships and Planetary Assault Carriers from Command & Conquer 3; they're slow, but they can take a beating.