super units

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
muffins
New user

super units

Post by muffins »

Hi I was playing warzone and I just thought it would be cool to have huge, powerful intimidating and expensive super units wouldn't you like to have a massive cyborg spewing forth missiles and mortar? :lol2: MWUHUHUHUHUHUHUH :lol2:
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Re: super units

Post by Asgorath »

muffins wrote:Hi I was playing warzone and I just thought it would be cool to have huge, powerful intimidating and expensive super units wouldn't you like to have a massive cyborg spewing forth missiles and mortar? :lol2: MWUHUHUHUHUHUHUH :lol2:
You mean like for example in Supreme Commander?
I dislike the idea, because Warzone2100 is very limited from it´s code concerning the maximum amount of units. If you build too many units, Warzone crashes.
But with too less units, you can´t destroy any superunits.
muffins
New user

Post by muffins »

you have a good point but they don't have to be that much better then regular units but it would be fun to take out a small group of regular units with one big one. Your mortar super unit could for example be a big moving base of multiple pepperpot mortars and possibly a twin assault gun for a little bit of close range defense. You can also put a cap so player can only have 1 or 2 super units at a time.
Last edited by muffins on 17 Dec 2010, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

There is already the dragon body which is "powerful intimidating and expensive super unit" with the ability to have two weapons.
muffins
New user

Post by muffins »

wow thanks I didnt know that il make sure too look out for it in game. but I am still of the opinion we need more! super units deserve the own unique methods of propulsion and super unit only weapons.
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

muffins wrote:but I am still of the opinion we need more! super units deserve the own unique methods of propulsion and super unit only weapons.
go make a mod
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

I have not been here in a while 'cause I'm busy with my Phd thesis but I said before and I'll say it again: Warzone is a strategy game and not a who-builds-the-most-megalomaniac-heap-of-steel-game. There is no need for super-units from the game-play side and, by the way, modern armies have dumped the concept for good reasons. Why do people keep bringing it up?
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Keeps coming up is right..

Last time was June of this year with a thread entitled Super Units - what a suprise :roll:

Anyway - that June 2010 thread covers the subject as fairly & exhaustively as I can imagine.

Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5728&hilit=super+units

Go read it... it's worth it.

I just don't understand why folks don't take 5 minutes and use the forum search function. :lecture: Game's been around since 1999 and at several hundred thousand postings you can bet that most of the time these "original" ideas have come up before - many, many, times.

- RV :ninja:
meeso
Trained
Trained

Post by meeso »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

Keeps coming up is right..

Last time was June of this year with a thread entitled Super Units - what a suprise :roll:

I just don't understand why folks don't take 5 minutes and use the forum search function. :lecture: Game's been around since 1999 and at several hundred thousand postings you can bet that most of the time these "original" ideas have come up before - many, many, times.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Rman Virgil = Sheldon Cooper (even the avatar looks like Dr. Sheldon!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

Best,
Brisingr
Trained
Trained

Post by Brisingr »

modern armies have dumped the concept for good reasons.
Yep the idea of a super units (big massive vehicle that destroys almost everything in sight) was dropped because its too exspensive and also something that big would incounter so many machine problems (loose bolts, snapped hydrolics etc etc) :lol2:

There are no super units but there are advance role units like the Apache gunship helicopter.

If you look at the Apache of today, it is a highly updated, refined helicopter (the Apache model has been around for years).

It has been fitted with the most advance targeting computers, radar systems and it has been fitted with the best engine that suits its role and other stuff like that. Basicly the Apache is a different kind of Super unit, it suits its role because of the past models have been used to findout what works best and so the modern Apache is deadly and hardly ever gets shot down.

So I say dont use the Super units but instead have "Advance Refined Units" A.R.U. :lol2: basicly this would be a good T-5? unit where you have exp what works and so you can research "A.R.U. Construction" which gives you several new bodies that combine the advanteges of the past bodies at different levels and also unlocks smaller versions of past turrets so more can be fitted on to the unit (maybe 4 turrets MAX) and a more advance virsion of propulsion (eg Spiked Tracks so it can move faster and also up steaper hills, maybe even low slant cliffs.).

Of course if im wrong about this please do correct me :lol2: XD

Just a improvement on this idea of super units.
The world will only achive peace through the fire of war.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

meeso wrote:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Rman Virgil = Sheldon Cooper (even the avatar looks like Dr. Sheldon!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

Best,
:lol2: Yea it does - from that angle especially. I have some other profile shots in my "Aqua-Coop" thread where not so much I think. But still an interesting comparison, meeso. :) I've only seen Sheldon Cooper's show a couple times ... though I have seen him in interviews out of character ... & not much different really, was my impression. But a bright guy for sure. My humor tends more towards network shows like "2 1/2 Men" & "Castle" than "Big Bang Theory".

..........>

ARU... Good one. :lol2:

I still think the other thread I provided a link to earlier covered the subject comprehensively & with provocative insights.

- Regards, RV :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo