Thermal based anti-tank weapons.

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Thermal based anti-tank weapons.

Post by ClockWork »

At the moment, there are no thermal/flame based anti-tank weapons, only kinetic damaging types. While the short ranged flamers do a good job of destroying anything that moves (if they can get that close,) they are generally geared for movable targets and bunkers, dealing less damage then a true AT weapon.
The closest weapon that does thermal damage, and is more-so like a cousin to the AT category, is the All-Rounder plasma cannon, (not counting the commander turrets, since they are more of a systems turret.) problem with this is, those plasma cannons are so far up the tech tree, and so expensive and heavy, they rarely see the light of day, though I could be wrong.

But the point is, I think the game could benefit from a strictly AT weapon that deals thermal damage, making the research “thermal armor” more important. As it stands, players have no real need to research thermal armor, since lasers are anti-personal, dealing less damage to half track and track propulsion vehicles. Though if you slap some hot rockets in there, dealing %130 damage, AND your opponent as not researched the correct things, then well, it’s his or her fault for not scouting, and managing things accordingly.

And although there are thermal damaging artilleries, they are more akin to the anti-personnel, dealing less damage to tanks.
Darkblade
Greenhorn

Re: Thermal based anti-tank weapons.

Post by Darkblade »

One problem i see with his is that there are not alot of effective real world thermal weapons, beside flamebombs/rocket/whatnot, and flame throwers. Seeing as Warzone 2100 is at least trying to be a bit *realistic*, i don't think a big "nuclear powered microwave generator cannon" would fit in the setting.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

problem with this is, those plasma cannons are so far up the tech tree, and so expensive and heavy, they rarely see the light of day, though I could be wrong.
Nope, you are right, Plasma cannons are crap.
They are the most expensive turret by a large margin, have low HP, and low range for their tech level.
This short range, combined with the heavy weight and low HP, makes it unlikely that they will get in range.

Although the results can be impressive if they do get in range, given their splash (equalled only by the mass driver fort) - ground shaker splash is nearly as wide and damaging, and has a huge range advantage, so it needs not deal with fire from direct fire defenses (only CB fire, while a plasma cannon tank will have to deal with enemy artiller, and bunkers/hardpoints/whatever).

I've only used them as a coup de grâce against noobs.
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

Darkblade wrote:One problem i see with his is that there are not alot of effective real world thermal weapons, beside flamebombs/rocket/whatnot, and flame throwers. Seeing as Warzone 2100 is at least trying to be a bit *realistic*, i don't think a big "nuclear powered microwave generator cannon" would fit in the setting.
Perhaps I may have misled. A "nuclear powered microwave generator cannon" would be an all-rounder weapon, not an anti-tank weapon because it’s a cannon :wink:. But...then again, we do have the Laser Satellite Command Post of doom...and if that can fit in the game, then a nuclear powered microwave generator cannon sure can fit in as well.

But I do gather your point. Though what I am attempting to conduct is that the game is lacking an anti-tank thermal based weapon. It doesn’t need to be overpowering, just a missile or rocket with napalm inside the warhead. And perhaps I should link to the references between kinetic and thermal damages, along with the different kinds of damages types.

http://guide.wz2100.net/w/

basically, all bodies have two types of armor values: Kinetic armor, and thermal armor. The weapon damage written in red deals thermal damages, and weapon damage written in blue deals kinetic damages. As you see, there are no thermal weapons for the anti-tank ammunition/category.
3drts wrote: They are the most expensive turret by a large margin, have low HP, and low range for their tech level.
^^ hehe, isn’t it comical that the mighty plasma cannon, the extreme heavy weight class, has less HP then the first tier machine gun? Sad…
And now that you point it out, the plasma cannon almost seems like a long range flamethrower, that is, longer ranged than your average flamers :o
Makary
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Makary »

I think that is...real. Plasma can be very unstable so if you hit in proper place on turret it will blow up :) Napalm rockets will be cool if we can launch a rocket that explode dealing kinetic damage + spread of river of flame on ground dealing damage to all units that went into it (like incenediary mortars/howitzers)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

More thermal weapons can make collective bodies usable again, due to their high thermal armor ;)
Wisler
Trained
Trained

Post by Wisler »

hao wrote:More thermal weapons can make collective bodies usable again, due to their high thermal armor ;)
I thought it was new paradigm bodies with high thermal armour?

Anyway I reckon thermal armour is worth researching just because of VTOL flame bombs which tend to decimate groups of tanks that are out of AA protection, but the napalm rocket thing sounds awesome, although I think we don't have any AT flame weapons for the fact that it wouldn't make sense. Since tanks are big chunks of metal basically you need to blow them apart rather than burn them up like they do in real life.

Although I use flamers sometimes to kill tanks, often on very large maps they are useful. If you start pumping out say 4 hover MG to every 1 flamer MG they tend to do awesome on killing tracked/half tracked tanks that cant drive away fast enough. Which also doesn't make sense because flames and bullets shouldn't hurt tanks but it actually wipes them out easy.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.

Pm me to try out for RBL.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I thought it was new paradigm bodies with high thermal armour?
Oh myy, they are *that* bad?? o.O
I still have much to learn. I was decieved by their appearances and never actually checked the guide ^^
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

We all know that flamers are the best :) for walls ;)

now seriously :)

I like the idea :)

More thermal weapons sound like a nice feature :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero