More Rank Complexity

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Verin
Trained
Trained

Re: More Rank Complexity

Post by Verin »

KukY wrote:
Zarel wrote:I changed my name from "Zarel" to "Zarel[BDC]" once, and my stats are always near 0 since I reinstall my OS so much (unless I go copy my old 105:21 W/L stats file from its backup), and people still stuck me with a worse ally. :|
Well, that is a problem of people not wanting to play with you :P
Ouch.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Sometimes teams are way imbalanced, usually when a semi-noob is the host.
They will just give themselves all the good players.

You might also have some name recognition, that supercedes the rank,Zarel.
I do remember one game where someone asked you if you were a noob, thereby revealing himself as a noob despite what the rank says.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

More Rank Complexity

Post by Merowingg »

That Is why I dare to thing that more cmplex rank would at least solve the problem partly by making bigger division between ultra-noob players I will cal them begining begginers to be appropriate :) and super mega advanced players playing for 10 years 6 days a week..

I think three stars and three medals show not enough..
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

am I the only one who think the rank system should be more advanced.. :(
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Gentlemen are you really satisfied with 3 medals and 3 stars ?? would you like to be more unique.. ??

I think more advanced ranking woud encourage for game more too..

Regards - Mero
meeso
Trained
Trained

Post by meeso »

Ranks don't mean a thing in warzone, unless you play only with AI. At the lobby, abuse of hosting-powers (such as dropping the host prior to loosing and kicking players during the game), and also because of boundless cheating, makes it useless to cherish rankings. In a game like chess on the other hand, rankings (or ratings as we call them) mean A LOT, because they reflect perfectly and accurately how many games you have played, and how many won or lost, and of course, there is no cheating in chess.

One thing that would really help identifying the knowledge or experience of players is to know since how long they've been playing, by having them register in some sort of online server which information is shared in the lobby. Also, chatting before playing will easily reveal who is who and how to balance teams. You can ask players to rate themselves (say from 0 to 5 or more, etc.) in order to have a better game.

Finally, PLEASE be merciful with newcomers and noobs; this game deserves a lot more busy online participants and interested players in general. But because it is such a complex game, and takes time to learn, i fear that many newcomers run away as soon as they attempt to discover the enjoyment of it! ;)
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Well I dont agree that they mean nothing :) The ranks do mean something at least :) At least for some players :)

But indeed I didnt took into account that people botch cheat in game and fake their ranks.. I didnt think about that..

But still I think more advanced ranks and those statistics that you have mentioned woud be good idea to apply :)

Well newcomers often are scared at the very begining becuse the others do not help them but shout and swear at them..

Players would rate themselves 5 all the time I think only the most honest players woule estimat their real value..

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Complex :) I want them more complex !

What about you gentlemen ??

Regards - Mero
xepeci
New user

Post by xepeci »

The best way to solve question about rank is to make him based on ratio.
To indicate player's skill you need three parameters "units killed/units lost", "victory/defeat", "games started/games finished". As a symbol of ratio should be used:
- skull, for ratio less than 1:1
- iron star, 1:1
- bronze, 1:2.5
- silver, 1:5
- gold, 1:10
The chevron would show the implementation of these three parameters, and it will give for a player some unique.
For parameter "games started/ games finished" should be embed options "accept defeat" to quit the game and allow to a player save his time. Also this option will track down the quitters and bad hosts.
To avoid the "over rating" when the recently played games would not change the chevron, rank should be calculated on the last 100 games played.

How is that? :)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

The best way
Why?
Currently, medals mean close to nothing, because win/loss ratio depends heavily on the choice of opponents, but stars mean a bit more, because they represent experience (a player who played 100 games at least knows the game rules ...)
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Well yes it would be goot to define why you think
The best way
:)
Currently, medals mean close to nothing, because win/loss ratio depends heavily on the choice of opponents, but stars mean a bit more, because they represent experience (a player who played 100 games at least knows the game rules ...)
I entirely agree ! stars and only stars are now the only at least good sign of someones experience..

But still in my opinion greater complexity of rank is badly needed..

Also more fetures more fun..

It is not good a pearson can get the highest rank after 24 games, or some more with quiting..

And also manipulating with rank.. omg.. how deep such people fall ??..

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Any ideas heading this way or we focus only on gameplay :)

I think more statistics, tables, ranks would be nice :)

Regards - Mero
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

If we have to stick with the set small area for the rank and three stars + a medal/chevron/pacifier etc., I think the the top star is the only one that should be changed. I really like xepeci's idea of the ratio: "units killed:units lost."

This is a LOT better than the small number of units that you have to kill to receive the gold top star.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

What about in this field? Beta 3 gives new opportunities I assume?

I have noticed that there are, and always will be, people who like statistics, badges, tables, achievements, orders, medals, ranks, and anything more.

How about trying to implement anything to the beta?

P.S.

I am fully avare all are already busy with more important stuff, I just ask, remind, suggest.

Regards - Mero
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

I agree it is easy to get a rank :!: What about a rank that you get if you played more 1 vs 4 and so on and then when you win you get that medal.
Last edited by Andrie on 06 Aug 2012, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie