Perks

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Claydoe
Trained
Trained

Perks

Post by Claydoe »

Got this idea when talking about Hero Units.... (See My other post) :idea:

You can chose a 1 perk at the beginning of a Multiplayer match...

For Example:

One perk could be like- Increase Units Attack Power by 5%
BUT
Decrease Units Defense by 5%

Could make things more interesting in a match, of course there could be a option to turn off perks for a match.... :ninja:
Design - Deploy - Destroy
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Perks

Post by JDW »

So you want to see units getting stronger in one department while at the same time getting weaker in another... :hmm:

Decreasing defense would make things interesting. Did you see this get implemented somewhere?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Claydoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Claydoe »

The only other place that I can really get the perks idea is from Fallout... But that mainly positive effects with no negative effect.
It doesn't just have to be just that one of course, could have one that - Build speed increases but building defenses are decreased.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Increase in range - decrease in damage and reload.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

Increased unit speed - decreased accuracy?
i like this idea of perks :)
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Great idea, would love to see it in-game.
This would also allow handicaps for individual players.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Claydoe wrote:Build speed increases but building defenses are decreased.
Verin wrote:Increase in range - decrease in damage and reload.
It's a good idea, but for some reason, it feels like upgrades, but in the reverse, which doesn't feel right to me. Still, it's just my opinion. I wonder how many gamers would join games hosted with this option. But there are always private groups/clans. :wink:

But let's look at things in another perspective. In the current game, when you research an upgrade, doesn't it make your opponent weaker? Your gain is his loss. :hmm:

EDIT: To make more sense, when you upgrade something, you're actually decreasing the opponent's features.

What do you think?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:But let's look at things in another perspective. In the current game, when you research an upgrade, doesn't it make your opponent weaker? Your gain is his loss. :hmm:
This would allow you to advance in something even more then your enemy could ever with all upgrades researched.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yes, this is something I've been meaning to make possible to do with mods.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

KukY wrote:This would allow you to advance in something even more then your enemy could ever with all upgrades researched.
Hmm. Fair enough. That would lead to specialized units/tech. Well, as long as things look fair, then maybe I would play with Perks :wink:
-- Ambrose Bierce
Claydoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Claydoe »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:But let's look at things in another perspective. In the current game, when you research an upgrade, doesn't it make your opponent weaker? Your gain is his loss.
Yes, that is kinda true...
But remember- the other player will be researching things as well. :3

It plays on more of a players strengths and weaknesses. 8)
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

would it be possible to make research that denies other research? Something like that could setup a easy perk system that grants bonuses or a.. hell, malus? maulus? firefox nor google can tell me the correct spelling, to a team, yet denies you the other powers.

Alternatively, it could also be used to set up different tech trees, for instance 'locking' yourself into a single type of body earlygame >.> or setting up different groups of research (not sure how really that would work, but perhaps you could choose what your hardpoints/walls looked like?)
Claydoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Claydoe »

I don't completely understand what your trying to get at, but.....
Lancefighter wrote:would it be possible to make research that denies other research? Something like that could setup a easy perk system that grants bonuses or a.. hell, malus? maulus? firefox nor google can tell me the correct spelling, to a team, yet denies you the other powers.

Alternatively, it could also be used to set up different tech trees, for instance 'locking' yourself into a single type of body earlygame >.> or setting up different groups of research (not sure how really that would work, but perhaps you could choose what your hardpoints/walls looked like?)
That just sound a bit too constricting.
Locking Research and changing hardpoints is maybe a bit much.... :hmm:
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

In my opinion this is really just classes with a different name.
Bring back...ducks!
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

Claydoe wrote:I don't completely understand what your trying to get at, but.....
That just sound a bit too constricting.
Locking Research and changing hardpoints is maybe a bit much.... :hmm:
gods no thats not what i meant!
I meant that nexus walls look different, when you research hardcrete, or whatever the base research is, you could choose ones that looked like the nexus ones (or the others, i forget if the other campaign groups had their own wall types). Basically this way you could allow the player to only research one shape of walls.. changing hardpoints, well, itd create duplicate hardpoint research in the research.txt (i think), but in my limited experience this might be the best way to allow different wall designs..

as for 'classes'.. what? explain?