Teleportation

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Teleportation

Post by Zarel »

Rman Virgil wrote:An abstract is a brief summary of a research article - the original is 8 pages, what I posted considerable less and sans formula for the layman
An abstract is a summary that appears at the beginning of a manuscript, and is part of the manuscript itself.
Rman Virgil wrote:You need to brush up on the latest scientific research into psychic powers.
As long as the JREF prize remains unclaimed, I see no reason to.
Rman Virgil wrote:I can only offer what is strictly my work alone. This is not and those I play & collab with outside of this community do not want any of their work submitted to this project. Though we have the game itself in common there is a vast cultural-values chasm that is likely to never be bridged in much the same way that the Klan would never convince Mahatma Gandhi to lend a hand in a lynching.
There's a problem with this position. Namely, Warzone is licensed under the GPLv2. That means any changes to it must be licensed under the GPLv2 as well (unless said changes are never published).
As the designer or developer of a new application, you're faced with hundreds of micro-decisions each and every day: blue or green? One table or two? Static or dynamic? Abort or recover? How do we make these decisions? If it's something we recognize as being important, we might ask. The rest, we guess. And all that guessing builds up a kind of debt in our applications — an interconnected web of assumptions.

As a developer, I hate this. The knowledge of all these small-scale timebombs in the applications I write adds to my stress. Open Source developers, scratching their own itches, don't suffer this. Because they are their own users, they know the correct answers to 90% of the decisions they have to make. I think this is one of the reasons folks come home after a hard day of coding and then work on open source: It's relaxing.
That only really works if you're the project manager of an open-source project, really. Else you still gotta argue with everyone else about which way is the right way. :/
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:That only really works if you're the project manager of an open-source project, really. Else you still gotta argue with everyone else about which way is thee right way. :/
Yes, you're right. And debates are good for any project, open or closed source. Sometimes ideas are even improved beyond what was originally proposed in the first place. Heck, you probably know this better than anyone. :D
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Yes, you're right. And debates are good for any project, open or closed source. Sometimes ideas are even improved beyond what was originally proposed in the first place. Heck, you probably know this better than anyone. :D
I'm not sure that's true.

While open communication is vital, and I've gotten plenty of great ideas from the Ideas board, I haven't really seen much success in the more vicious arguments we've had. They're generally inconclusive.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

Zarel wrote:I haven't really seen much success in the more vicious arguments we've had. They're generally inconclusive.
Well if a debate is getting heated then one side isn't open to compromise, which in the end is worse then to meet halfway.

back on topic, maybe teleporter has a cooldown time? so its like the lassat, not constant, but when it goes off you feel it?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Roux Le Corps wrote:Well if a debate is getting heated then one side isn't open to compromise, which in the end is worse then to meet halfway.
To be exact, if a debate is getting heated, it means both sides aren't open to compromise.
Roux Le Corps wrote:back on topic, maybe teleporter has a cooldown time? so its like the lassat, not constant, but when it goes off you feel it?
No.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Yes, you're right. And debates are good for any project, open or closed source. Sometimes ideas are even improved beyond what was originally proposed in the first place. Heck, you probably know this better than anyone. :D
I'm not sure that's true.
Forgive me for asking, but exactly which of my statements do you seem to be not sure about being true?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

That debates are always a good thing.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:That debates are always a good thing.
Yeah, I can agree with that, a possible scenario being when people are so used to a certain way that something works, that they will retaliate aggressively to any minor changes in the mechanics of the system. A degree of dictatorship by the project staff is essential if a change (which has been objected to by the general crowd who have failed to see the bigger picture) is truly actually beneficial for the greater good of the system.
-- Ambrose Bierce
DTSX
Trained
Trained

Post by DTSX »

Regardless of reality of teleportation, I really think we need something that can easily transport units from one area to another quicker or at least across water.

How about tunnels? Send troops in one tunnel and they pop out of the opposite tunnel in a two-way direction. As for how this would be coded, I'm thinking it would be teleportation in the common sense of moving unit X to area Y in no time.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

DTSX wrote:How about tunnels? Send troops in one tunnel and they pop out of the opposite tunnel in a two-way direction. As for how this would be coded, I'm thinking it would be teleportation in the common sense of moving unit X to area Y in no time.
I think tunnels are a very interesting idea. AFAIK, it has never been implemented by any other RTS game before. There's just one problem I see with tunnels, map creators spend a lot of time designing maps that would be balanced perfectly (for instance restricting pathways a certain way), equal opportunities for all, I'm not so sure if tunnels would keep the odds balanced, I could be wrong though.

And if you're talking about tunnels to cross water bodies, then I guess bridges would be more suitable (already an accepted idea in FPI). The opponent's Bridges could also be easily destroyed by you, what do you think?
-- Ambrose Bierce
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:I think tunnels are a very interesting idea. AFAIK, it has never been implemented by any other RTS game before.
I vaguely remember a game with tunnels - Earth 2150? Metal Fatigue? Something from that time.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

C&C tiberium sun, tunnels were in most levels
Wolftrak
Trained
Trained

Post by Wolftrak »

cybersphinx wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:I think tunnels are a very interesting idea. AFAIK, it has never been implemented by any other RTS game before.
I vaguely remember a game with tunnels - Earth 2150? Metal Fatigue? Something from that time.
Those two games had a sub-level that you can use as a tunnel.They were a bit unpractical,though.You had to build the exit to the surface from the sub-level,thus your surprise attack isn't really a surprise.
Roux Le Corps wrote:C&C tiberium sun, tunnels were in most levels
Those are not what DTSX meant cause they were part of scenery.Open road or a tunnel,it didn't make any difference.
DTSX wrote:How about tunnels? Send troops in one tunnel and they pop out of the opposite tunnel in a two-way direction. As for how this would be coded, I'm thinking it would be teleportation in the common sense of moving unit X to area Y in no time.
As far as I understood,DTSX wants a building that "teleports"(lack of better word) units from one point to another.A correct analogy to this would be the Nydus worm in the Starcraft series.Or maybe a unit that drills in the ground as in "The core" movie.
DTSX
Trained
Trained

Post by DTSX »

^ Exactly. I don't really care for as how you term it - quantum physics by teleportation, a subway system, a tunnel network, hell you could have raptor Jesus come down and punt the units into the other area for all I care, but I would like something that can actually transport units from point A to point B without the long waiting time (as heavy cannon, tracked, heavy body tanks go) or just be able to create two interconnected bases in order to create some space. Needless to say, whatever it is that transports units MUST be both weak and defenseless, that way it wouldn't create TOO much of an advantage for the attacker.

Also I think this would enhance the lines a bit. Rather than bull rushing units into an area, there would be transport systems allowing the player to take the game to the next level where rather than focusing on one front, there would be several skirmishes playing alongside the major fronts. Also, if you're as so unlucky to allow an engineer through into the middle of your area without knowing, you'd be in for a hell of a surprise.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I mean, StarCraft had the Nydus Worm - a different form of tunnel.

I'd rather have transport ferries than any other less realistic transportation system.