Units dropping research boxes

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Sonsalt
Trained
Trained

Units dropping research boxes

Post by Sonsalt »

Hi,

At the moment only production facilities and main buildings are dropping research boxes on being killed, however this is quite inefficient, since you only get these bonuses once you already effectively won the game.
Once you are at the enemies base the game is mostly over.

Therefore I was wondering if it would be possible to have units and defence position also dropping their research parts from time to time.

For a tank this could be either something about the weapon, about the chassis or about the track. For the defence building obviously either the upgrade for the building it self or something about the gun.

And in order to keep the balance, the chance of dropping such an item should be around 3%
You can even prevent the enemy from getting it by collecting the research box quickly again.

I would really like to see this implanted

Cheers

Sonsalt
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Units dropping research boxes

Post by JDW »

Sonsalt wrote:At the moment only production facilities and main buildings are dropping research boxes on being killed, however this is quite inefficient, since you only get these bonuses once you already effectively won the game.
Have you tried storming the enemy base with only the intention of targeting the factories and research queues? Not with the intention of destroying the enemy and winning the game, but to only steal their research by way of artifacts?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
Sonsalt wrote:At the moment only production facilities and main buildings are dropping research boxes on being killed, however this is quite inefficient, since you only get these bonuses once you already effectively won the game.
Have you tried storming the enemy base with only the intention of targeting the factories and research queues? Not with the intention of destroying the enemy and winning the game, but to only steal their research by way of artifacts?
If you get that far you might as well destroy them...
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Kacen wrote: If you get that far you might as well destroy them...
That's what I thought, but that would mean you took way too many units. Just try taking enough units to survive until you acquire an artifact. I know it ain't easy balancing that, but it should be possible.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
Kacen wrote: If you get that far you might as well destroy them...
That's what I thought, but that would mean you took way too many units. Just try taking enough units to survive until you acquire an artifact. I know it ain't easy balancing that, but it should be possible.
Not particularly worth sacrificing an entire army just for one lousy artifact you could 99.9% of the time wait five minutes along the tech tree for anyway
Bring back...ducks!
Sonsalt
Trained
Trained

Post by Sonsalt »

That is exactly the reason why such a system would make sense.

On an epic battle in the field with an enemy that has more advanced units than you, there could be a good chance that you acquire his technology by destroying his units and taking that one research box that has been dropped.

And due to the fact that these boxes are directly linked to the type of unit, it will always be one technology that this particular unit or structure is using.

So for the first time since the campaign research boxes would actually make sense again.

Only the AI should be able to pick it up too, so that it can save his own research and steal yours!!!

and it would work great with this: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5789

Man I want this soo badly :P
Last edited by Sonsalt on 05 Jul 2010, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

BlueMaxima wrote:Not particularly worth sacrificing an entire army just for one lousy artifact you could 99.9% of the time wait five minutes along the tech tree for anyway
Ok, so what you're saying is that it is possible to attain the artifact from the enemy before the end of the game, but it's not worth sacrificing an entire army of units for it. Good point.
-- Ambrose Bierce
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

Well its actualy needed if theres more research facilities, then i would sacrifise my most of the army but only if enemy researched vtols. So then i count that i will recive vtol artefact. Its a bit stupid that in multiplayer games,actualy in every multiplayer rts games, the host leaves and the game stops or the host position gots transfered to someone.

I know its off topic, but i would that rounds are longer and that there are not rushing with units and cyborgs on beggining.
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

MetalWarrior95 wrote:Its a bit stupid that in multiplayer games,actualy in every multiplayer rts games, the host leaves and the game stops or the host position gots transfered to someone.

I know its off topic, but i would that rounds are longer and that there are not rushing with units and cyborgs on beggining.
Hi MW95, :)

I think what you are trying to say is that MP games are short, that you don't get a chance to research the entire tech tree? Why don't you try hosting local games with your friends? And then you and your friends can team up against the AI? :wink:

EDIT: One easy way to prolonging games is to have AI as allies, I think this works a bit, then you have the AI fighting for you while you research. Can anyone else suggest better ways for MW95 to have longer games?
-- Ambrose Bierce
Sonsalt
Trained
Trained

Post by Sonsalt »

Alright back to the topic. Judging from your replies it seems that you agree that the current research box system is quite useless.

So do you think that my aforementioned idea would improve game play and thus should be implemented, and if so is it possible ?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

I honestly believe that it is possible to attain an artifact from the enemy base before the game is even over. If you play your cards right, it is possible, and that may even mean sacrificing a number of your units.
Sonsalt wrote:So do you think that my aforementioned idea would improve game play and thus should be implemented, and if so is it possible ?
Give your idea some time for discussion, not many people have commented yet. it takes time to know when an idea this controversial is really good for the game. :)
-- Ambrose Bierce
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

I like this idea. It surely would be useful while playing on max chating AIs...

Maybe add some complicated maths into the process of drop chance calculation?
Like calculating ratio of tech tree research percentage by the player and avarage tech tree research percentage by that player's enemies...
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

KukY wrote:Maybe add some complicated maths into the process of drop chance calculation?
Like calculating ratio of tech tree research percentage by the player and avarage tech tree research percentage by that player's enemies...
Now that is a very interesting variation of the idea! :3
-- Ambrose Bierce
Sonsalt
Trained
Trained

Post by Sonsalt »

I don't really think that such a ramdomizer is really complicated.

All you need is to determine what kind of research the specific unit or building was using, randomly choose one and then calculate by a chance of X % if a box with that content gets dropped.

If the AI can't make use of picking up boxes, the content than can be added to the AI player automaticly.