Flamer Upgrade?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
BaseCommanderPye
Greenhorn

Flamer Upgrade?

Post by BaseCommanderPye »

Hey, there's an issue I've been having with the Flamer units on Warzone, especially when starting out in a new campaign. One BIG issue is that the Flamer units are practically useless as they do not fire while moving. Is there anything anyone could do about this?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Flamer Upgrade?

Post by JDW »

Oh yeah, never really noticed that until you mentioned it now.. However, I did come across this tidbit on Wikipedia,
Flamethrowers pose many risks to the operator. The first disadvantage was the weapon's weight, which impairs the soldier's mobility....
NOTE: Wikipedia material should not be considered as a reliable source.

Although WZ2100 can have it anyway they like, since it's only a game and not a war simulation. But i do like them as they are, handicapped with lesser mobility.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

flamer cyborgs can fire while moving. but of course you don't have cyborgs in the beginning of the campain... :hmm:
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*
BaseCommanderPye
Greenhorn

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Oh yeah, never really noticed that until you mentioned it now.. However, I did come across this tidbit on Wikipedia,
Flamethrowers pose many risks to the operator. The first disadvantage was the weapon's weight, which impairs the soldier's mobility....
NOTE: Wikipedia material should not be considered as a reliable source.

Although WZ2100 can have it anyway they like, since it's only a game and not a war simulation. But i do like them as they are, handicapped with lesser mobility.
Well, see. The problem is that if I do produce flamer tanks, by the time they actually do get into position to fire, they're destroyed before they can get off a single shot. :(
The only way they could be effective is if I had an army of them...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Have you tried using a single MG tank?

All weapons are useless unless you have an army of them.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

BaseCommanderPye wrote:The only way they could be effective is if I had an army of them...
In case of cyborgs, you definitely need an army of them, not even a small group of cyborgs would stand a chance. For a more clearer picture, watch this video by Daltx,
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDaltx#p/u/1/HlzHoAxCItk
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

The current balance differences between campaign and skirmish/MP also tend to make flamers useless in campaign. In campaign, flamers have a very low fire rate. When you combine a low fire rate, very short range, and a weapon that doesn't do a huge amount of damage per shot, you have a recipe for a unit that spends most of it's time as a target. I use flamers all the time in skirmish, and never in campaign.

Keith
BaseCommanderPye
Greenhorn

Ok, what I'm getting at with this is that I like to have an army of mixed units. For example say... a group of six MG units and four Flamer units instead of a massive army all of one unit. I would like to see my Flamers burning enemy units and structures as they move along with my MG units. :twisted:
As to the post earlier about Flamers being bulky and heavy, has anyone had a look at the Inferno Flamer? That can fire while the tank is moving and I gaurantee that the Inferno is much heavier than the little Flamer you get at the beginning of the campaign. :?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

None of the flamers are heavy...
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
BaseCommanderPye wrote:The only way they could be effective is if I had an army of them...
In case of cyborgs, you definitely need an army of them, not even a small group of cyborgs would stand a chance. For a more clearer picture, watch this video by Daltx,
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDaltx#p/u/1/HlzHoAxCItk
That video is completely inaccurate. no one would attack a base with scourges.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

:roll: w/e do what you like....
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

It's also inaccurate because the Scourges are brought to close range. Scourges are best at long range.

Although the "terrible against structures" thing comes to mind.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

From what ive seen in the damage tables, scourges would do little (but some) damage to structures while flamers would do better vs the emplacements. although the hardpoints would only be receiving 10% of the flamer damage.

If i had known my enemies have created a defense like that, I would usually have a 2/3 flamer to cannon army of borgs. or just ignore the defense completely and go for the factories.

A lot of my playing style is based on others most commonly used weapons. An army of cyborgs tends to do well because of how small they are, more guns per tile is the way i like to think of it. it also helps that they have high resistance to all rounders, and awesome resistance vs rockets. Most of which i find in a standard defense.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.