Sensor Jammer

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Logiwan-Kenobiquiet
Greenhorn

Sensor Jammer

Post by Logiwan-Kenobiquiet »

Okay, here is my third suggestion:
I was thinking it would be cool to add a sensor jammer, like a Sensor Tower only it jams sensors. There would be a black area on the map where it is, you can't scan in the radius around it. You have to send men in to investigate. This would be a good way to hide oil recourses or secret base operations. Imagine placing three sensor jammers around a VTOL Rearming Base or Mortar Outposts, that would be cool!
~Kenobi-Quiet
Christheturtle
Trained
Trained

Re: Sensor Jammer

Post by Christheturtle »

Please read/search before posting, this has already been suggested. Thank you for trying though.
Logiwan-Kenobiquiet
Greenhorn

I just looked...if there are so many posts on sensor jammers, why haven't they been added yet? Just wondering!
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Logiwan-Kenobiquiet wrote:I just looked...if there are so many posts on sensor jammers, why haven't they been added yet? Just wondering!
Because you can't just add them... They need to be coded...
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Sensors jammers are being worked on and scheduled for 3.0 hopefully,
http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/340
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

yay! i use sensor jammers in Total Annihialtion, and they are VERY useful for preventing the enemy from spying on your backyard. :ninja:
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*
Logiwan-Kenobiquiet
Greenhorn

Thanks guys for the information on sensor jammers. I hope 3.0 comes out soon!
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

The problem is that in WZ2100 radar and sight are the same thing, so what would you be jamming, exactly? It would act like a stealth field.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Kacen wrote:The problem is that in WZ2100 radar and sight are the same thing, so what would you be jamming, exactly? It would act like a stealth field.
Just read the ticket linked to above. It is all explained there.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

also how does radar jammer respond to satellite uplink? and anti radar towers? if a anti-radar with assigned artillery spot it do they shoot? ( i know it says not immediately but still? ) and will it still cause the black blots even with uplink? and why a blip? im sure if i saw a bubble of black that wont go away that i'd send units to the middle ;)
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Roux Le Corps wrote: and why a blip? im sure if i saw a bubble of black that wont go away that i'd send units to the middle ;)
A blip would help draw the player's attention to it. That's all it would do in my opinion. I think it's very useful though. Imagine if you were busy with researching or something, and you didn't notice three or four black spots on your radar closing in on your base, and then bam! You would never know what hit you, what do you think? :)
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

i think its a valid strategy to sneak up, perhaps a temporary blip if you have a certain radar out like wide spectrum? if in range it picks up the anomaly?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Roux Le Corps wrote:also how does radar jammer respond to satellite uplink? and anti radar towers? if a anti-radar with assigned artillery spot it do they shoot? ( i know it says not immediately but still? ) and will it still cause the black blots even with uplink? and why a blip? im sure if i saw a bubble of black that wont go away that i'd send units to the middle ;)
That's the whole point. Sending units to the blip position is a designed counter-measure against jammers.

Satellite uplink will reveal the attacking units, but you will not be able to fire upon them, since your units do not actually see them (I do not like this, but that is how it has always worked...)

Radar detectors will spot jammers, and you can assign units to fire on them. I think this part needs careful play-testing, to see if this is not a too easy/powerful counter-measure.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

i know, but a blip everytime one is built? if its adds an element of stealth the blip would remove any stealth stratagy from it by revealing its location everytime
HairyLee
Trained
Trained

Post by HairyLee »

It would still stop artillery from being able to fire on units that are within the jammer's radius. You would also have no idea what type or how many units are travelling under the jammed area. This would allow for decoy tactics, as well as less time to prepare effectively for an attack since you won't know what you're up against until it arrives.