New Unit - The Bulldozer

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
JDW
Regular
Regular

New Unit - The Bulldozer

Post by JDW »

This concept was used in M.A.X.: Mechanized Assault & Exploration (Check out the second unit on this list)

OK, the Bulldozer could be a unit that has the following features:

i) Responsible for all demolitions (of only own buildings/structures), instead of the Truck having to do that
ii) No attack weapons EVER (Can't damage enemy units/structures)
iii) Could demolish old ruins/buildings much faster than attack units can
iv) Could be used to clear up maps with lots on foliage

NOTE: This would mean that the Truck would no longer be able to demolish, only build.

Last edited by JDW on 08 Jun 2010, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Re: New Unit - The Bulldozer

Post by Emdek »

Well... Maybe it's better to simply give more capabilities to truck?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Emdek wrote:Well... Maybe it's better to simply give more capabilities to truck?
Agreed. But what I was proposing is a new level of Micro-Management, not a new capability..
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Check out the Bulldozer on M.A.X.Reloaded

It's the second unit on the list
-- Ambrose Bierce
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

As I can see they have many specialized vehicles...
And many people says that micro management should be avoided in Warzone.
For me these abilities could be available for current trucks (maybe some of them only after upgrades?).
Or could be even more powerful, for example could demolish enemy tank traps and maybe other (small) structures or at least have possibility to damage them.
And would these units be supposed to recycle power from demolished buildings (and if yes then only from own or also other?) or could only demolish, but much more things?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

I agree - not a new unit, add this to trucks.

Truck rushing would be so fun - not only building, but demolishing enemy base :D.

But... It may destroy the balance or greatly effect the way early game is played.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Emdek wrote: For me these abilities could be available for current trucks (maybe some of them only after upgrades?).
I am not sure about the abilities of the other units on that page, you'll have to discuss that in another thread. I just wanted to give a better idea of what the Bulldozer looks like in M.A.X.Reloaded..
Emdek wrote:And would these units be supposed to recycle power from demolished buildings?
Haven't thought about that one, but I think it would add much more complication to how power levels are managed. Implementing a Truck without build capabilities could be used as a decent Bulldozer. Although, of course, only the developers have the right to make that sort of judgement.
Emdek wrote:And would these units be supposed to recycle power from demolished buildings (and if yes then only from own or also other?)
Like i said, only own buildings, Bulldozer won't be able to do anything to enemy units.
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:i) Responsible for all demolitions (of only own buildings/structures)
Emdek wrote:For me these abilities could be available for current trucks (maybe some of them only after upgrades?).
Or could be even more powerful, for example could demolish enemy tank traps and maybe other (small) structures or at least have possibility to damage them.
Trucks are assigned to build stuff, not attack the enemy. It would disrupt balance of the game IMHO.
-- Ambrose Bierce
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Michal wrote:I agree - not a new unit, add this to trucks.

Truck rushing would be so fun - not only building, but demolishing enemy base :D.

But... It may destroy the balance or greatly effect the way early game is played.

As you yourself pointed out, balance would be disrupted. Also, Bulldozers should never be allowed to attack enemy units/structures/tank-traps. That's what attack units have been designed for. :wink:
-- Ambrose Bierce
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Sonehow i see this is fully useless as there are no features in this game that will support this,game is too limited.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
HairyLee
Trained
Trained

Post by HairyLee »

Maybe a bulldozer/demolition function could be incorporated as the truck equivalent to the heavy repair turret. Maybe when you've researched all the construction rate technology, you could research a 'heavy truck' turret (well, with a better name :P ), which could have demolition capabilities for enemy structures as well as maybe an improved construction rate over the normal truck. They would of course have to be VERY expensive and probably should be weighty enough to require a heavy body to move at a decent speed.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Tenoh wrote:Sonehow i see this is fully useless as there are no features in this game that will support this,game is too limited.
O_o

Truck can demolish currently , so the suggestion was to take the demolition capabilities away from truck and give it to the Bulldozer.
That's all that I suggested. In M.A.X.R , you have to start out with a constructor and a bulldozer...
-- Ambrose Bierce
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Truck can demolish currently , so the suggestion was to take the demolition capabilities away from truck and give it to the Bulldozer.
What would be the gain of this change? Faster removing of map features doesn't sound like enough incentive to me for having to manage yet another unit type.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Truck can demolish currently.
In trunk they can't.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

cybersphinx wrote:What would be the gain of this change? Faster removing of map features doesn't sound like enough incentive to me for having to manage yet another unit type.
No advantage to the gamer as such, but basically giving a gamer a little more to think about besides attacking enemy units..

Ok, consider this, suppose you have a smartphone (iPhone/Android whatever) , you can Make calls/Browse the internet/Play games/Useful Apps , etc.. You see how easy life becomes when the phone can do so much more?

In the same way, the truck is doing three things, Constructing/Repairing/Demolishing.

If that changed to,
Truck : Constructing/Repairing
Bulldozer: Demolishing (or even recycling if you like that too)
then you see how a level of complexity is added? The gamer will have a new task to be taken into consideration. That was the main aim of this feature request. To make things slightly complicated for the gamer.
Last edited by JDW on 09 Jun 2010, 22:05, edited 4 times in total.
-- Ambrose Bierce
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

KukY wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Truck can demolish currently.
In trunk they can't.
oh ok.. Then how do you demolish your structures that you don't want in the trunk version?
-- Ambrose Bierce