Increase unit speed

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Increase unit speed

Post by Dylan Hsu »

I say increase unit speeds by around 20 to 30%.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: Increase unit speed

Post by macuser »

If that is what you want (I personally think they are just fine) you can hit ctrl + to increase and ctrl - to decrease :) .
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Game speed entirely needs to be sped up. This will be done by a game-speed chooser in the game setup screen.
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

Zarel wrote:Game speed entirely needs to be sped up. This will be done by a game-speed chooser in the game setup screen.
The fully thing is that although I agree sometimes, the majority of the time when I'm playing, I'm playing at the slowest standard speed (0.3x) - if I'm trying to manage multiple groups, this is the only way I can keep up with them. Otherwise, stuff happens way too fast.

Keith
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

kringled wrote:
Zarel wrote:Game speed entirely needs to be sped up. This will be done by a game-speed chooser in the game setup screen.
The fully thing is that although I agree sometimes, the majority of the time when I'm playing, I'm playing at the slowest standard speed (0.3x) - if I'm trying to manage multiple groups, this is the only way I can keep up with them. Otherwise, stuff happens way too fast.

Keith
O_o You are :roll: ...
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

KukY wrote: O_o You are :roll: ...
Ok, I get that you are trying to be a bit rude, but you haven't been particularly clear about why...
If it's the trying to have it both ways aspect of my post, let me elaborate:
When I'm in a mode where most of what is going on is building and/or research, having the ability for the game
to go faster is welcome. This happens most in campaign missions, once I've defeated the enemy and I'm just prepping for the next mission, but it can happen for me in skirmish games as well, especially right at the beginning.
However, other times, I may be trying to manage two-three combat groups, as well as trucks building support structures, the research facilities, and manufacturing. At these times, I prefer if the game runs slower, so that I can keep up with things.
As such, I really like that the game speed is adjustable while in game.

If you're just trying to deride my playing at slower speeds, then all I have to say is that not everyone can navigate the interface at the same speed; the campaign walkthrough frequently suggests slowing the game down during intense combat so I'm not the only one who finds some advantage to doing so. But please do continue mocking people for not playing a game in exactly the same way that you do; I'm sure that that will bring in more players, map authors, and developers with new ideas.

Keith
Last edited by kringled on 16 May 2010, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

1. You have errors in your BBCode.
  2. Excuse me for typing faster then I think.
  3. I'm on batteries, so slowing down something is a no-go for me.
  4. Yeah, yeah, go on the repulsive effect...
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

In addition to that, unit speeds need an increment.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

KukY wrote:
  1. You have errors in your BBCode.
  2. Excuse me for typing faster then I think.
  3. I'm on batteries, so slowing down something is a no-go for me.
  4. Yeah, yeah, go on the repulsive effect...
That's childish, KukY. We are all prone to errors, and pointing each other's ones isn't going to help anyone. Giving numbered lists like that is really rude and snotty, IMHO, as well.
Dylan Hsu wrote:
In addition to that, unit speeds need an increment.
Yep, that went a bit off-track, since what Dylan seems to be propposing is to raise unit's speed in relation to other things' (like research, repair, building, reloading etc.) speeds.

IMO this would favour hit-and-run tactics, I personally never liked those - but that's only my first thought, probably there are other major advantages (and numerous small advantages, obviously, as well as numerous small draw backs) that I couldn't see right now.

Is there a specific, major reason why you think the units should be 20~30% faster than what they are now, Dylan?

~Olrox
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Olrox wrote:That's childish, KukY. We are all prone to errors, and pointing each other's ones isn't going to help anyone. Giving numbered lists like that is really rude and snotty, IMHO, as well.
Ok, lately, I make posts like this one, that are rude, offensive, inappropriate...
And you just keep on warning me about them.
So, I will say this now, that I am writing these posts
...with my full consciousnes, without anyone forcing me.
Now, would you excuse me, I am going to finish my meal and go make some mods and maps.
Btw, you have any ideas for maps? ˇ
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

kringled wrote:
Ok, I get that you are trying to be a bit rude, but you haven't been particularly clear about why...
If it's the trying to have it both ways aspect of my post, let me elaborate:
When I'm in a mode where most of what is going on is building and/or research, having the ability for the game
to go faster is welcome. This happens most in campaign missions, once I've defeated the enemy and I'm just prepping for the next mission, but it can happen for me in skirmish games as well, especially right at the beginning.
However, other times, I may be trying to manage two-three combat groups, as well as trucks building support structures, the research facilities, and manufacturing. At these times, I prefer if the game runs slower, so that I can keep up with things.
As such, I really like that the game speed is adjustable while in game.

If you're just trying to deride my playing at slower speeds, then all I have to say is that not everyone can navigate the interface at the same speed; the campaign walkthrough frequently suggests slowing the game down during intense combat so I'm not the only one who finds some advantage to doing so. But please do continue mocking people for not playing a game in exactly the same way that you do; I'm sure that that will bring in more players, map authors, and developers with new ideas.

Keith
I can totally relate to everything you have stated.

It boils down to this for me.

None-combat switch-tasking vs. the combat command & control GPMs.

The game design is heavily weighted in favor of None-combat switch-tasking and the combat command & control GPMs are sorely deficient by comparison.

The 2 need better design integration while being fully mindful of cognitive switch-tasking science and the dynamics they evoke between a fun challenge and sheer frustration in the GPMs of an RTS like WZ. I have thought about all this since WZ's initial retail release. I've also come up with possible solutions that will best be implemented when Beta Widget / LUA are fully deved / deployed. In the meanwhile, I keep this an uppermost consideration in my Map / Mod project designs.

- Regards, RV 8)