6 player maps?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Zarax
Trained
Trained

6 player maps?

Post by Zarax »

This must have been proposed already, but what do you think about adding support for that kind of map?
It would allow scavengers while offering a wider experience than 4 players.

Are there serious implementation difficulties? I'm sure mappers would like the flexibility as well.
Michal
Trained
Trained

Re: 6 player maps?

Post by Michal »

Me and my friend would love 6 player maps. He experimented, and 8 players while he hosts is too much (lag issues, even when players have decent ping). I actually never play with 8players, it's too much, while 6 players is ok.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

The 2>4>8 player limitations probably are due to the potencies of 2 base of most of the game, I'm not sure why, but a lot of things are like that (unit experience, for example).

You can make 6-player maps, Dylan Hsu did one last month, called Kasyr or something like that. You just have to leave player 6 and 7 with nothing and run the map as 8-players. Assign nothing to those players, and run the map. Even if you assign AIs to them, they will be defeated as the game starts because they don't have anything at all.

But you can't have scavengers this way :ninja:

~Olrox
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Great suggestion!

Although why can't there be 3,5,7 player maps too? This would lead to great things, like you can have 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 2 against AIs or a 7 player FFA with scavengers...
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Mats wrote:Great suggestion!

Although why can't there be 3,5,7 player maps too? This would lead to great things, like you can have 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 2 against AIs or a 7 player FFA with scavengers...
By the sole reason that people don't make them. I've already seen you criticize a lot of maps, but did you ever try to make one? It's not a shame if someone can't make a map, but it is very shameful not to even try and start judging other people's maps so duly. I know this last part isn't quite related to the topic or your question, but I feel like you could think about that. Please do not take that as an offense, it's more like a simple suggestion.

~Olrox
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

We would have to make a few code changes to support those kinds of maps without workarounds, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Per?
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

3,5,7 players maps will make too much of a mess. And I'm really tired of people who join MAX 6 game while there are already 6 players and it is about to start. And for some people 8 players is too much (due to lag or mess it makes :)).
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Michal wrote:3,5,7 players maps will make too much of a mess.
O_o
why?
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Olrox wrote: By the sole reason that people don't make them. I've already seen you criticize a lot of maps, but did you ever try to make one? It's not a shame if someone can't make a map, but it is very shameful not to even try and start judging other people's maps so duly.
~Olrox
I've made maps for some other games before, before I left college and got a job/wife(kinda)! Maybe one day I'll get around to learning to use the editor and putting time into making a map. In the evenings, I'm always too tired or too drunk to be spending time making maps. It's much better to just bash AIs for an hour or two.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Mats wrote:
Olrox wrote: By the sole reason that people don't make them. I've already seen you criticize a lot of maps, but did you ever try to make one? It's not a shame if someone can't make a map, but it is very shameful not to even try and start judging other people's maps so duly.
~Olrox
I've made maps for some other games before, before I left college and got a job/wife(kinda)! Maybe one day I'll get around to learning to use the editor and putting time into making a map. In the evenings, I'm always too tired or too drunk to be spending time making maps. It's much better to just bash AIs for an hour or two.
Well, all the maps I've made took me less than 8 hours. I you spend 1~2 hours everyday making a map, you can make good ones in a week. Maybe it's even better than making in a streak, because you get more ideas everyday.
flaME is actually very nice, it's fun to use once you've learned the basics (which takes little time).

BTW, I hope you don't make your posts while you're too tired/too drunk, it wouldn't be a good thing :hmm:

~Olrox
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Zarel wrote:We would have to make a few code changes to support those kinds of maps without workarounds, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Per?
The biggest obstacle is in the GUI... the rest is pretty easy. Just a few scripts files to modify, I think.
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Well, all the maps I've made took me less than 8 hours. I you spend 1~2 hours everyday making a map, you can make good ones in a week. Maybe it's even better than making in a streak, because you get more ideas everyday.
flaME is actually very nice, it's fun to use once you've learned the basics (which takes little time).
~Olrox
Randomly woke up at 5am this morning and thought I would give flaME a go. Pretty easy to use it seems. Made a wee 2 player test map, then made a working 6 player map, but without any effort on textures. Expect a map from me... Sometime (probably this week). :)

8 hours? - Because of messing about with textures all the time? :augh:
BTW, I hope you don't make your posts while you're too tired/too drunk, it wouldn't be a good thing :hmm:
Haha certainly not while drunk (have to go in the library to use the internet), but often too tired or at least in a mental state that is not 'normal'.
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

Olrox wrote:
Michal wrote:3,5,7 players maps will make too much of a mess.
O_o
why?
Well... How much tabs in map select window can you have and still find something? And how much of that 'odd player' maps would be? I think that after 'yeah that's awesome idea' stage it will soon end in 2-3 maps per new class and that's it.
Maybe I'm wrong, but how many of the RTS games have 3,5,7 player maps?

Mats wrote: Randomly woke up at 5am this morning and thought I would give flaME a go. Pretty easy to use it seems. Made a wee 2 player test map, then made a working 6 player map, but without any effort on textures. Expect a map from me... Sometime (probably this week). :)

8 hours? - Because of messing about with textures all the time? :augh:
First map I posted on the forums took about that time to make. Of course, it was 'playable' after an hour or so of work, but well... Boring textures and bad looking topography. It's still not finished - more features have to come (huts, roads...) and also some impact craters (I completely forgot about those... I knew I missed something :)).

Feel free to take a look - I'm waiting for opinions if the scavengers are placed corectly and don't favour any player:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4996&start=0
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Michal wrote:Well... How much tabs in map select window can you have and still find something? And how much of that 'odd player' maps would be? I think that after 'yeah that's awesome idea' stage it will soon end in 2-3 maps per new class and that's it.
Maybe I'm wrong, but how many of the RTS games have 3,5,7 player maps?
Well, if they're in order:

2P
3P
4P
5P
6P
7P
8P

I don't think it'd be particularly hard to find any. Here, find "7P" on that list. Wasn't hard, was it?

I know of many RTSes with 3P, 5P, etc maps.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

What about higher than 8 players?
It looks like only one define would have to change right?