Co-op Campaign

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Re: Coop Singleplayer

Post by Assault Gunner »

Be really interesting to see what kind of scenarios people come up with. Or maybe a Desert Storm-type map.

(Desert Storm is a Spawn Map. You build buildings and it gives you units for it. Or, rather, it gives your AI ally units.)

However, despite this, I would like Halo Wars-style co-op singleplayer the best.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Assault Gunner wrote: However, despite this, I would like Halo Wars-style co-op singleplayer the best.
Ok, but remember: Singleplayer > Single Player > One Player.
Multiplayer > Multiple Players > Two or more Players.

Co-op can't exist as single player unless your ally is AI, and even if so, one could argue that it's a Computer Player.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Fine, Co-op Campaign. Satisfied?
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Assault Gunner wrote:Fine, Co-op Campaign. Satisfied?
Nope, I didn't say "satisfy me" or "correct your sentence". It wouldn't be polite to do so, that's why I merely reinforced the irony of the sentence.

You could just ignore me and keep saying Co-op Singleplayer, if you like, but you can't satisfy me by speaking correctly only :P

I meant no offense, really, and didn't question your intellectual faculties, so I don't see why you got so-apparently upset. Sorry anyway :cool:

~Olrox
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Heh, not your fault. I just had a bad day... sorry to take it out on you.

Anyways, what do you people out there reading this think of the concept of HALO WARS-style co-op campaign?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Assault Gunner wrote:Heh, not your fault. I just had a bad day... sorry to take it out on you.
No problem, you have to take it out on somebody, better if it is someone who doesn't get deeply offended easily (I think) :P
Assault Gunner wrote:Anyways, what do you people out there reading this think of the concept of HALO WARS-style co-op campaign?
I like the idea, but not for the fact that it'll take a long time. But that's a common problem in most good ideas.

~Olrox
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Yeah... that does seem to be a very common problem with good ideas. They tend to take a while. Like SCII. It was announced in... 2007, I think, and the closed beta just started last week.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Assault Gunner wrote:Yeah... that does seem to be a very common problem with good ideas. They tend to take a while. Like SCII. It was announced in... 2007, I think, and the closed beta just started last week.
Yeah. Well, but Blizzard is famous for making masterpieces, games that really stand out. So at least we can be sure that the more time they take, the best the game will be :D
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Well, duh. Soo... devs? What do you think?

@Olrox I completely agree with you about Blizzard's great habit of making masterpiece games, and thus the 3-year period between announcement and closed beta starting, let alone release.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

So what will it be? old single player camp modded to be coop? or just making whole new campaign ? should be easier.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Old campaign, no mods. Just 2 commanders of the same units.
Desolator4u
Trained
Trained

Post by Desolator4u »

Well, in my opinion, if you have modding, map making and scripting/coding skills needed for this sort of undertaking, it would probably be best to help out with some other project. There are those working on a new Campaign, after that is successful, then Coop could be the next task to tackle. I say stick to teamed players vs AI as coop for now.

Oh, and lol at "Coop Singleplayer" :D

Nuff Respeck
~Des
>> Xfire ID: desolator4u | Warzone 2100 Xfire Group: http://www.xfire.com/communities/theproject/ <<
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Re: Co-op Singleplayer

Post by Roux Le Corps »

well id be glad to dip my toes in this one if someone could point me to the most compatible map maker for this? im no good at coding but i could at least try maps, im decent at making them them in like Star Craft and Warcraft III :P
Desolator4u
Trained
Trained

Post by Desolator4u »

Assault Gunner wrote:Old campaign, no mods. Just 2 commanders of the same units.
Well that doesn't sound sensible. I don't see how two human players can manage one base, especially early on in the canpaign. And it will be problematic to implement another base for the second player, since that would involve editing all the maps in the game. And even if that happened, you'd have to alter the skill of the AI to compensate for the second player. Then there's the task of saving the game, or just the progress after each mission. Other problems will include the pre, post and in-game cinematic, maybe even splitting the unit cap in half for each player, preventing both players from researching the same technology, also, how would the oil be distributed? And so on and so on...
As I suggested, work with the guys that are creating the new Campaign before even considering to undertake some as a Coop Campaign.

Nuff Respeck
~Des
>> Xfire ID: desolator4u | Warzone 2100 Xfire Group: http://www.xfire.com/communities/theproject/ <<
DarkCheetah
Trained
Trained

Post by DarkCheetah »

Black NEXUS wrote:The Idea is good, but we have some Problemes:
  • Only 3 Player are possible (Green, Blue and Red)
  • How can we set this colors to the Players so that only they can use these colors and not the others?
  • How can we make this with the Transporters?
The AI, we can take it from the campain, the Maps too, but we have to edit this.
[*]Only 3 Player are possible (Green, Blue and Red)- maybe a lobby before game start?
[*]How can we set this colors to the Players so that only they can use these colors and not the others? - lobby like multiplay ^^
[*]How can we make this with the Transporters? - 1 player is ready, game wait for other player to launch his transport :3
... where did all the good ol classic ai's gone to? Turtle AI , Super AI