Leg Propulsion - A new approach.

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Re: Leg Propulsion - A new approach.

Post by Deus Siddis »

Corporal Punishment wrote:@ Deus Siddis: This is a pre-ownage warning. Prepare to be owned in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1.
Mantis uses all six legs when walking/climbing, as can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbLvTdG-UnA&hl=de.
Ownage complete, have a nice day. :cool:
They do do that alot of the time, 6 is better than 4, but can still move on just the four legs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_d9Om8zKU

[/ownage]
@ Kacen: Reptiles have something else Arthropodes do not possess. Namely, a tail. This serves to balance the animal.
The abdomen is positioned like a tail and could act like a counter weight. So this is probably not a reason.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

I don't see the mantis walking on four legs in that video. It does turn on four legs while examining the camera, I give you that, but does lift only one leg at a time doing so. It still stands on at least three legs. The counterweight-theory is not really touching our topic here, I think. WZ vehicle bodys do not feature arthropode-style opisthosomae. Plus I am happy with any number of legs if Xanax makes it look good.

Friends?
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

XANAX wrote:captains log supplemental:
I've decided to make NP have insect like multi-legged mechs
giving them the advantage of scaling cliffs with all mech weight classes
noting: only NP light mech will have jump jets I'll call it the "flea jumper"

Collective not sure maybe cat like mechs
all four legged

Nexus giant humanoid mechs
heavy & super heavy with Nexus's face on it
light is the super cyborg but has been supped up to take more of a betting

Note: all mechs can't turn the torso 360* only 90* left and right

Code: Select all

Example:     
(target)    90* <<<_[/torso\]_>>>90*   (target)

(target)91+x* must turn legs (x)* 
noting: deciding on a mech chaos effect
mech chaos effect:
would lower speed, accuracy, all around effectiveness in combat when a mech is present "a fear factor" if you will

greatest chaos effect from greatest to least

1. Nexus + the fact of assimilation is the most powerful :twisted:
nexus bonuses:
a. assimilator turret "nexus link turret" is available earlier for mech attachment
b. All units get a melee ability The Chain Fist my version of the "chainsaw" as seen in Ultimate Warfare V2.0 for 2.1.x
c. super heavy is faster then collectives slower than NP's
d. has the most kinetic armor and the least thermal
e. heavy, super heavy can step on heavy-light body and lower tanks & cyborgs plus light mechs

2. Project ;)
Project bonuses:
a. light, medium have jump jets
b. super heavy/assault mech can scale low/small cliffs and can shoot 360* because of torso is fixed so 360* turret is added even in-direct fire weapons can rotate on the stable platform
c. has the longest sensor/weapons range, even the flame turret can shoot farther
d. balanced the kinetic & thermal armor ratio has more than collective
e. heavy, super heavy same as nexus

3. Collective O_O
Collective bonuses:
a. has "ecm" lowers enemy's sensor/weapons range
b. super heavy/assault mech same as projects, but slowest
c. likes turtling/camping with in-direct fire weapons
d. balanced the kinetic & thermal armor ratio but is has less then Projects
e. heavy, super heavy same as nexus but light & medium mech has a ability to jump on (causes damage) or over vehicles (higher evasion)

4. New Paradigm :ninja:
New Paradigm bonuses:
a. all mechs can scale cliffs with all mech weight classes
b. all mechs can shoot 360* because of torso is fixed so 360* turret is added even in-direct fire weapons can rotate on the stable platform
c. likes hit and run tactics, all NP mechs have the fastest speed of their weight class; only NP light mech will have jump jets I'll call it the "flea jumper"
d. has the most thermal armor and the least kinetic
e. all mech weight classes has a ability to jump on (causes damage) or over vehicles (higher evasion)

5. Scavengers
a. only has "Power Armor" the equivalent is the cyborg but is slower and less responsive
b. & the "Scrap Mech" using components from the Power Armor & junk from the landscape, creating a walking "Scrap" platform (great for ambushes because it look like a wreck)

btw
Attention, warning, & etc.
I'll be very skippy on my constant model making because
the day I dread,
is finally here.
high school,
senior year. :gonk:
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Erm...not what I had in mind.

I didn't want it to be faction specific.
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

Kacen wrote:Erm...not what I had in mind.

I didn't want it to be faction specific.
atm I'm working on what I've got listed so whippersnapper can do his coding thing & get it working
so when it's done I'm more than happy to help him make mods ka'
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

if there would be anything faction specific, can nexus have matrix-esq sqiudies?

having to destroy rivers of things like these in the nexus final assault would be pretty awesome imo
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

psychopompos wrote:if there would be anything faction specific, can nexus have matrix-esq sqiudies?

having to destroy rivers of things like these in the nexus final assault would be pretty awesome imo
to much work sorry
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Not only that but it's stupid...

...this thread is a tad derailed, though it's not like there's much more to discuss besides other suggestions to this idea, since it's pretty much been accepted.
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

I can try and make an example in Blender. I am no good at texturing and not that good at modeling but this looks easy enough. (note every time I say that it turns how to be hard) I probably won't animate it though.
Last edited by alienkid10 on 12 Sep 2009, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

The sphere on top is the mount point for things like MG and cannons.
Attachments

[The extension blend has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

concept
concept
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

alienkid10 wrote:The sphere on top is the mount point for things like MG and cannons.
It's a bit too simplistic, I want the legs to go up then come down, splayed out.

/\[Body]/\ Like this. Looks better that way.
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

I can do that tomorrow.
alienkid10
Trained
Trained

Post by alienkid10 »

new model
Attachments
legged.jpg

[The extension blend has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

That's the correct posture.

Cosmetically it'll need to be made better but you got the base for it. It may be good though to have part of the propulsion be an attachment point to the body, perhaps underneath.

This is all for the developers to decide. I can't model but I'm thinking the ends of the legs that touch the ground should be pointed (maybe we can mess with the repair turret model to make the legs?)

Erm for the record, in case anyone is getting the wrong idea, I'm not implying that the leg propulsion be a whole new class of units like cyborgs but just be supplemental to other propulsion types.

They would be able to be attached to all available bodies. (Medium bodies would need thicker legs cosmetically, and Heavy/Super Heavy would need even thicker and/or more legs)
Last edited by Kacen on 14 Sep 2009, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Updated. For the record the Leg Attachment is not meant to be that exact shape but just to give a general idea. I think this would look more stable and practical if cosmetically the legs are connected to a piece underneath the chassis of the unit. (Both the Legs and Leg Attachment are part of the propulsion. I just separated them on the key to cosmetically discern them from each other; specifically the legs move but the attachment does not, I guess.)

Also I think the legs should perhaps be inwards more, well their attachment points be under the chassis, not as far out as in the image. In essence the Leg Attachment shouldn't be as wide as in the picture.

Perhaps making the legs taller than most other forms of propulsion would be good as well. I think giving them the ability to traverse tank traps as well (perhaps at a slightly slower speed) would be good.

Though we need to balance the height and width well so it looks stable enough to climb steep inclines whilst being tall enough to walk over tank traps.