concept of ammunition storage

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Name_LM
New user

concept of ammunition storage

Post by Name_LM »

Hello,

what about adding the concept of "ammunition storage" in the game ?

I mean, a truck would carry a limited number of ammunition, and after having fired them it would return to the nearest ammunition storage to reload. (somewhat similar to VTOLs today)

This would add some logistics strategy on where to build ammunition stores and how to defend them.
Would that not bring more fun in the game ?

Lucien
learnedSloth
New user

Re: concept of ammunition storage

Post by learnedSloth »

The best location for them would undoubtedly be wherever damaged units go; you must defend that too.
I guess VTOLs have limited ammo because the payload of aircrafts is seriously limited in real life too,
and removing the limit would make them OP.

Modelling this for land units wouldn't be interesting because they can carry so much more.
I think the interesting logistics would be moving the spare parts from factories for repairs.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

If you have ever played M.A.X. Mechanized Assault & Exploration that game does the whole ammo thing and to be perfectly honest I just don’t think it would work for a game like Warzone more over it would rapidly become very tedious and frustrating when you have to brake off an attack because your units ran out of ammo its bad enough having to have my units brake off to get repaired to stop them being destroyed which is why I’d be in favour of a better repair system maybe something akin the nexus auto repair but I can see why there are those that would have objections to this

More over it wouldn’t be so simple to implement such a system as you would have to rewrite the AI and getting that right is no easy task either as is evident from the frequent updates to the skirmish mode AIs

Although to be fair the campaign AI could in fact do with a rewrite anyway as its actually kind of poor by modern standards and even on harder difficulty settings it’s kind of stupid and actually in most instances the difficulty on harder settings comes not from a smarter more ruthless AI but from artificially imposed limits a lot of which I don’t agree with.

Further more because most every level on Warzone has a time limit such a system could in fact make certain levels which already have tight time constraints basically impossible to complete especially on the harder difficulty settings

Personally I’d be in favour of being able to turn the timer off completely so that Warzone works more like a modern RTS though given how Warzone is designed I can understand why others would be against such a change guess I’m to used to playing games like C&C, Age of Empires, DOW to name a few where I don’t have to deal with artificially imposed limits like that.

Don’t get me wrong such artificially imposed limits have there place if used sparingly like if you wanted to do a challenge mode where you had to meet specific objectives in order to win but the blanket approach that is used in Warzone is not a good move and is one that I often find quiet frustrating as there are certain levels on Warzone where due to the way the map is designed they are just difficult levels to complete Alpha 12 is a good example of this.

Due to having to move up a narrow stripe of land that is heavily defended or pick your way through masses of turrets with hover units which are often extremely difficult to hit with anything other than artillery which takes forever to destroy bunkers, so there are just no good options for completing the map quickly which can result in failing the level due to the timer and not because you got beaten due to poor tactics.

As for VTOLs I'd actually like to be able to give them unlimited ammo to eliminate the tedium of having to have them come back to there landing pads to rearm although doing this would require significant balance changes as that would make VTOLs way to overpowered as they are now although I do think certain VTOL weapons could be given unlimited ammo without to much problem as there attack power is already quiet weak even at the end of the game like the phosphorous bomb bay or the VTOL machine-gun giving weak weapons like this unlimited ammo would give them a bit more use as they could just stay over a target area attacking anything that comes into range.
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

How about trucks acting as ammo suply?
Besides, this introduces new meaning to autoloading - watched some videos, how howitzers are manually loaded by soldiers.
With one exception - in reality multiple trucks could only cooperate by loading one shot each, while attempt to speedup loading single shot (e.g. for groundshaker) should be no-op.
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
stegasaur
New user

Post by stegasaur »

Here is a problem I can see with ammo storage. I've never needed it, so why would it become important?