Direct X, OpenGL, Vulcan

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
themac
Trained
Trained

Direct X, OpenGL, Vulcan

Post by themac »

So which of those do you recommend for play Warzone? Direct X? OpenGL? Vulcan? I tested the 4.0.0 with all of them and can not notice any difference so far. :)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Direct X, OpenGL, Vulcan

Post by MaNGusT »

Vulkan has best performance
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

It's a bit system/hardware/driver-dependent.

If you have good OpenGL drivers, but (buggy) Vulkan drivers, OpenGL may be the best option. It's the most widely-tested, longest-developed, and most "stable"/compatible backend.

If your graphics drivers have mature Vulkan support, Vulkan should (hopefully) perform better than OpenGL.

DirectX mode actually uses libANGLE to convert OpenGL ES - > DirectX. On paper, this should have higher overhead and perform worse. But on specific systems - if they have poor OpenGL / Vulkan support / drivers, but polished DirectX drivers - it may end up performing better in practice. And on specific systems that might not support modern OpenGL versions, it might be the only option that works.

So the summary is: Try them out, compare them - I'd expect Vulkan/OpenGL to be the best, but you never know.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

I'd suggest enabling in-game stats i.e. FPS counter and set V-sync disabled temporarily. Watch your system performance, CPU usage etc during play.
Vulkan should be best going forwards.