vsync

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
sophiazz
New user

vsync

Post by sophiazz »

Today I thought about the vsync option turned on / enabled. When done, it may happen to me that the fps drop below 60. Then vsync goes one step down giving me 30 fps. At this point I save my game, turn off the vsync and get 45 fps for example. Much better than 30. So why not offering a adaptive sync mode that turns of the vsync when the fps drop below 60 to avoid loosing some more fps by cutting down to 30?
themac
Trained
Trained

Re: vsync

Post by themac »

When vsync is turned ON the video output is delayed until your graphics card is able to deliver a complete full frame to the monitor.

If your monitor is able to display a maximum of will say 60 fps and you turn ON vsync AND if your graphics card is fast enough you get 60 fps.

But if your graphics card is not fast enough the vsync makes the video output wait for the next full image which will hopefully be ready 1/60 seconds later.

In this case you will get 30 fps. If your graphics card is still too slow the video output will wait for another 1/60 seconds for the image. Then you get 20 fps.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It should be fairly trivial to add support for adaptive vsync, actually. It could help in some cases when FPS can't reach the full 60 fps (or whatever your screen refresh is).
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Adaptive Vsync support has actually been added to the gfx_api PR, which I'm hoping to have a chance to finish up and get merged soon: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/489
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I thought that this PR is already finished. Hmm..