new map terrain type(s)

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
cpdef_
New user

new map terrain type(s)

Post by cpdef_ »

I thought, it would maybe make the game more interessting, if we would have more terrain types.
My idea was just, to add something like swamp, where cyborgs can't go, wheeled droids are slower and chain-drive droids are at normal speed.
I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but for me it sounds possible.
Maybe other types are possible too, like sand (slowes mosly all units down) or street (units are faster here). For Steets could also be build by players?
Sorry if the ideas are to abstract, i just got them while programming my first wz-bot in javascript ...
Btw. i could try to implement them too, because i'am familiar with c/c++ and then people could see/test whether to merge it into the main game?
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Re: new map terrain type(s)

Post by aliswe »

FWIW, I really like the streets idea :)

And I'd think that more terrain types is possible in the map editor, no? I could be wrong though
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

Not possible in the map editor, only textures. But any ideas is possible, it takes time, patience, and a bit of code in wz2100, but it's possible.
cpdef_
New user

Post by cpdef_ »

I think its not need that the map editor supports it while i program it, maybe i can edit the map files simply for now with a hex editor or so? Would be a lot more simple to test it first and if its good add it to the map editor.
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

cpdef_ wrote: 19 May 2020, 08:02 I think its not need that the map editor supports it while i program it, maybe i can edit the map files simply for now with a hex editor or so? Would be a lot more simple to test it first and if its good add it to the map editor.
No, i mean it's not possible by editing map it self.. Maps not contain that info about any propulsion differ than standart water/ground/cliff..
speedsterharry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by speedsterharry »

Your idea seems interesting, and if you can program the new terrain behaviour, that's great.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

It required a small adjustements in the code in 2.3.9 over the A* algorithm to allow for movement over more area. I had it in my mod, but I don't think it was ever implemented in 3.x . You need a dev to allow proper movement over water (and a weighted A* that account for terrain difficulty). Otherwise the pathfinding in difficult terrain will fail.

It's possible, it require support of a dev first. (unless one of them contradict me and state that it was fixed somehow).
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.