New system technical levels

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

New system technical levels

Post by andrvaut »

The addition of T4 is currently being discussed on the github.But it seems to me that such a change is not a necessary half-measure.
We have 5 sets of starting technologies:
  • T1 without base
  • T1 with a small base
  • T1 with full base
  • T2
  • T3
All sets are not synchronized.
If we take the T1 without bases as the base, then at the start of the T1 with a small base, later exploration of the fire is given, but there is no basic research of the bullets.
T1 with a full base have a lag in strength and air defense.
About T2 and T3 I am silent. The difference between branches can be more than 10 minutes.

As a result, an attempt to create a balance for some starting settings will break it with others.

My suggestion:
  • Remove the connection level of the base and technical level.
  • Remove T *
  • Add a slider / field that can be set time. At this time, determine the available technology.
The order and time of availability of technology can be for hardcodes, but it is better to build it automatically so that it changes when using mods.
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: New system technical levels

Post by Berg »

If the map maker has not defined small bases and full bases then this topic is out of touch with maps.
I do note on some maps they do not have a half base only a full base.
So choosing a Half Base is not a actual function that works.
There are even maps without bases defined they only have a HQ.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

No bases is pretty useful for NTW Maps. You can build alot of oils and possibly take your opponents oils too.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Maybe I didn’t explain what I propose to change.

Now we have the power of weapons depends on the selected starting settings. Since the studies are not issued in chronological order.
http://betaguide.wz2100.net/Research.php
On this page, the calculated time that you want to explore at startup without bases.

Now we recall the studies that are issued at the start with the base: Repair Facility, Mortar, Heavy Machinegun.
But earlier studies: Composite Alloys, Synaptic Link Data Analysis Mk2, HE Rockets Mk2 and many others are not issued ...
As a result, we have two contradictory regimes:
In one, Heavy Machinegun meets with Light Cannon without improvements.
In the second Heavy Machinegun meets with Medium Cannon (almost)
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

andrvaut wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 18:01 Remove the connection level of the base and technical level.
Like this? There will be no research differences between no bases, bases, and advanced bases. Only small issue is that if we want the combat engineer to be available on T1 bases and advanced bases it will necessitate early access to the other cyborgs as the relevant weapons get researched. Which my current work is doing at the moment.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 20:08
andrvaut wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 18:01 Remove the connection level of the base and technical level.
Like this? There will be no research differences between no bases, bases, and advanced bases. Only small issue is that if we want the combat engineer to be available on T1 bases and advanced bases it will necessitate early access to the other cyborgs as the relevant weapons get researched. Which my current work is doing at the moment.
Yes, I mean it in this point.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

I implemented the first part on the transition to new rules for the issuance of technologies:
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/682
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Hello, I juggled with the same ideas for NRS+ a long time ago. I wanted a main tech line that would represent time and more and more advanced weapons line coming from it.

While it's a charming idea in elegance and lore, I came strongly believe this is the wrong direction for gameplay. We try to add weapons and bodies to the game to increase the diversity and richness of the game, create more fun situations for the players to be with.

The technology levels ultimately do the exact opposite, it forbids part of the game to the player arbitrarily. It's fine for campaign mode, where the story element can be desirable. But not in PvP. I think the main reason why T3 attract some people is to be able to play with the late game weapons (lasers, artillery...) I do not think anyone want to play T3 to forbid lower tech.

I say, let them build lasers from the start if they want. I think more group energy should be but on a new techtree, then salvaging the broken campaign one for PvP. Like NRS 3.4 or something
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.