Deliberate FPS limiter

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Deliberate FPS limiter

Post by Tzeentch »

I've had a read through some tickets and not finding much about this.

Adding an option within the menu to enable a FPS limit. Set in 10 fps increments to go on the range 10-60fps. This is used primarily for low end desktop or laptops with limited upgradability as with lower frames this reduces CPU and GPU requirements and in turn causes less heat on laptops (less loud fans). The other thing is this could reduce lag on peoples machines in game (if it happens to be a player moving over massive groups of units) with low spec.

the tool-tip could read something like "Used to limit FPS, consuming less CPU and GPU resources". Having this in just the menu keeps it simple for any users. (can even drop a line in the FAQ section about it on the forum link.) As I went through before viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12022&p=131022&hilit=fps#p131022 more frames = more cpu and gpu to the point of bottlenecks as we all know (depending on hardware) you can probs set in some config files but why not keep it simple?
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Re: Deliberate FPS limiter

Post by Terminator »

May be its off topic but. For window users and owners of Nvidia VGA can be use software called NvidiaInspector. It can do many things on driver level. I have limited FPS for everything to 60fps.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

Terminator wrote:May be its off topic but. For window users and owners of Nvidia VGA can be use software called NvidiaInspector. It can do many things on driver level. I have limited FPS for everything to 60fps.
Yes-and WZ is updated in NVidia inspector. For other users-Dxtory can limit the FPS. But the idea is fine. Could be made easier.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

We did have a limiter before, but, it was removed.
Before, we used sleep() calls, but, since nothing is simple in WZ, it caused issued.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

maybe somepoint in future I could add it in for a future update or release... I reckon it'd really help out client side
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Just turn Vsync on.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

remove all sleep calls as well, cannot see how it'll help. even with vync my point is that'll still be 60 fps. limit setting to adjust 10-50 for lower hardware to be more efficient will give big gains is my point
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Tzeentch wrote:remove all sleep calls as well, cannot see how it'll help. even with vync my point is that'll still be 60 fps. limit setting to adjust 10-50 for lower hardware to be more efficient will give big gains is my point
How do you throttle without sleep calls?
VSYNC on "fixes" it, since it then auto-sleeps at 60Hz waiting for the frame buffer.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Clean the dust and cat hair out of your machine and it won't overheat.

Unless it is woefully under-cooled to start with.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Would vsync + double bufferswap halve the frame rate? That might be an alternative to the old frame rate limiter without its problems (don't remember what those were).
We want information... information... information.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

It will be useful for lower end devices that are in abundance now like the Pi. All you'd need is FPS of 30 or 60 tbh. 60 is effectively done via Vsync which works quite well.