add a research queue

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
andrew2scott2
Greenhorn

add a research queue

Post by andrew2scott2 »

I seen it in other games. I would like to know if you could add a research query.
So we can select the tech we want to research it would go in a query.
Then as reseach building becomes available it starts the reseach form the list.In the order it was selected in.
Last edited by cybersphinx on 08 Feb 2014, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed title
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: add a research query

Post by Jorzi »

I assume you mean research queue, and I kinda agree, it would reduce the amount of unnecessary micromanagement.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

This game has already cut the amount of micromanagement needed by simplifying the all the resources needed into just oil, also, once captured, you don't need to control the derricks to harvest oil. :wink:
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
andrew2scott2
Greenhorn

Post by andrew2scott2 »

Yes Jorzi that what I mean. Sorry for my poor spelling.
I feel that some times it hard to keep up with the research. When you have the energy to alot of energy.
Or you are in the middle of commanding troops battle.
andrew2scott2
Greenhorn

Post by andrew2scott2 »

hesterax. While I would mind have few more resource to gather. But haveing to command the derricks to harvest. That must of been a nightmare.lol
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

I would like this too, but not really! You see this is what really makes an awesome player, someone that can keep up the research while doing all the other things...
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

By the way, just so that people don't go against me, I do support this idea.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

A Research Queue doesnot detract from the decision making process of what to chose to queue - up. (Build Queues did NOT exist in Retail. It was a suggestion to WZ Creators they whole heartedly took up in one of the 10 patches... like a bunch of other suggestions that didn't exist in retail).

This Research Queueing is a conversation we first had with WZ Creators within the first month of retail release. They even had a creative idea to address this in one of thier patches which they were very excited about, and committed to, in offsetting the cognitive load of such non-fun switch-tasking in the combat arena. A chorus of respected, non-pro, players felt it needed more work so WZ Creators turned it off in the subsequent patch with the clearly stated proviso they would revisit this because the present state was sub-optimal in the GP flow vis-a-vis their over arching goals. 'Course when Eidos gave them the news some weeks later they would be shut down and disbanded because of lack luster sales, they never got that chance to revist the issue but they did explicitly, and publically, entrust thier goals to others.

The ultimate GP pay-off of an RTS is effective command and control in battle and any non-combat mechanics / UI design in the lead-up to that pay-off that is a detracting obstacle from the deep fun of such a battle engagement flow experience, is an opportunity for design fine tuning or improvement. Game design 101 is all that is.

As an RTS whose origins were in retail, WZ Creator's goal was the opposite of appealing to the smallest audience segment of egoic self-styled pro or awesome players who were content to take up the challenge of sub par CTA / Switch-tasking design to distinguish themselves from a predominant, in numbers, audience.

WZ Creators were transparently vocal in thier openness to such evolutionary refinements and not in scholastic debates over what they were already clear about in basic, over-arching, design and audience appeal goals. It is also quite explicit in the original design genome of thier code base, and in the very history of the 10 patches after retail release. Both are facts, not speculation. (And frack the endless conversations we actually had with WZ Creators over ALL of this for years, pre lib.) As with WZ becoming an FOSS game some 8-9 years after its initial creation, anyone willing to work on the game's code base is free to choose what path they will even if it has zero relevance to the design goals of those who created the game in '97-'99. Fortunately, this narrow scope doesnot apply to conversation informed from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Re: add a research queue

Post by Hesterax »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

A Research Queue doesnot detract from the decision making process of what to chose to queue - up. (Build Queues did NOT exist in Retail. It was a suggestion to WZ Creators they whole heartedly took up in one of the 10 patches... like a bunch of other suggestions that didn't exist in retail).

This Research Queueing is a conversation we first had with WZ Creators within the first month of retail release. They even had a creative idea to address this in one of thier patches which they were very excited about, and committed to, in offsetting the cognitive load of such non-fun switch-tasking in the combat arena. A chorus of respected, non-pro, players felt it needed more work so WZ Creators turned it off in the subsequent patch with the clearly stated proviso they would revisit this because the present state was sub-optimal in the GP flow vis-a-vis their over arching goals. 'Course when Eidos gave them the news some weeks later they would be shut down and disbanded because of lack luster sales, they never got that chance to revist the issue but they did explicitly, and publically, entrust thier goals to others.

The ultimate GP pay-off of an RTS is effective command and control in battle and any non-combat mechanics / UI design in the lead-up to that pay-off that is a detracting obstacle from the deep fun of such a battle engagement flow experience, is an opportunity for design fine tuning or improvement. Game design 101 is all that is.

As an RTS whose origins were in retail, WZ Creator's goal was the opposite of appealing to the smallest audience segment of egoic self-styled pro or awesome players who were content to take up the challenge of sub par CTA / Switch-tasking design to distinguish themselves from a predominant, in numbers, audience.

WZ Creators were transparently vocal in thier openness to such evolutionary refinements and not in scholastic debates over what they were already clear about in basic, over-arching, design and audience appeal goals. It is also quite explicit in the original design genome of thier code base, and in the very history of the 10 patches after retail release. Both are facts, not speculation. (And frack the endless conversations we actually had with WZ Creators over ALL of this for years, pre lib.) As with WZ becoming an FOSS game some 8-9 years after its initial creation, anyone willing to work on the game's code base is free to choose what path they will even if it has zero relevance to the design goals of those who created the game in '97-'99. Fortunately, this narrow scope doesnot apply to conversation informed from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :)
Sorry but can you rephrase that comment as my eyes slipped over most of the words and I couldn't comprehend most of it. Or in other words = O_o Eh?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hesterax: He basically said that:
-The "challenge" of maintaining research while fighting is boring and does not add to the game.
-The original developers knew this and were about to fix it but the patch wasn't completed.
-The only reason to not implement this is to make noob-bashing easier.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Thanks Jorzi, that's a much better communication of what I was trying to say. :) My bad for not adjusting my language to this forum. Another thing I can learn from your example. To "boring" I would add "frustrating" to no worthwhile end. Admittidly, both outcomes, or responses to gameplay structures, are difficult to qualify for targeted audience segments.

My apology Hesterax (& to others) for using inappropriate language, lingo and acronyms and not being more clearly concise. Pure lazyness on my part in moving from entirely different audiences on the same subjects. No excuse for it. I'll be mindful going foreward. :3
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

"Well," said Owl, "the customary procedure in such cases is as follows."

"What does Crustimoney Proseedcake mean?" said Pooh. "For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

"It means the Thing to Do."
I guess nobody minds, just easier said than done.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I bow before the deep wisdom of master Pooh. XD

And Piglet is a close second:
..You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.
andrew2scott2
Greenhorn

Post by andrew2scott2 »

Well I gues when it all said and done this noob had to suggest it.
But I do love what this game has become I just wish I found it sooner.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Not really. When all is said and done.... it's easier said than done. That's the real take away. Just like many other suggestions. Prior to this thread, Research Queueing had been suggested, easily, hundreds and hundreds of times since it came up for the first time in May '99, just a few weeks after the initial retail release of the game - then by noobs and vets alike over the last 15 years. :3

You know the WZ Retail bbs had hundreds of thousands of active, dedicated, gamers with brains, insights and a vast array of skillz. Very little escaped thier attention about this game all those many years ago. :hmm:

And the ultimate take away here is what the current crop of undermanned implementors and devs have done to maintain WZ current, evolving, fun and relevant across multiple platforms 15 years after release. "Undermanned" being the crux word and condition because the key, core, areas of generative development have already been identified with implementation proceeding slowly because more doers are needed. Which takes us back to the point of the second sentence of this post. 8)