OpenGL and OpenCL support

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
mtomi78
Rookie
Rookie

OpenGL and OpenCL support

Post by mtomi78 »

It's possible newer OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 1.1 and MSAA support? :wink:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: OpenGL and OpenCL support

Post by Jorzi »

The problem is compatibility: We don't want to make the minimum requirement a radeon hd 5000 series gpu, since it would drop a large part of our loyal user base.
The devs also don't want to maintain two renderers (one for old graphics cards, one for new), since maintaining one renderer is already more than enough work.

Per has been talkong about moving to opengl es 2.0 though, which can utilise the power of modern gpu:s while still being fairly compatible with old cards.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... 4d540feaeb a commit to use VBO as rendering engine, so those things u want might be easier to added in the 3.4 or maybe 4.0.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

VBO is not really a rendering engine but a way of helping an engine render more efficiently.
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:VBO is not really a rendering engine but a way of helping an engine render more efficiently.
well it just me to interpret it that way,since vbo was requirement to use opengl 3.0 and above features.
mtomi78
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mtomi78 »

I think plus menu in and out switch impossible? Video menu. MSAA etc... :)
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

mtomi78 wrote:I think plus menu in and out switch impossible? Video menu. MSAA etc... :)
since dev are focusing on bug fix and game balance. until then i dont think they will change menu, moreover these day we have so much anti aliasing yet, SMAA, TXAA, FXAA, MSAA, CSAA, MLAA, SSAA, SG-SSAA, and WTFAA?.

and adding patch now would be closed and added as future reference, i could try to learn it next week (the AA stuff) and compile it if you still want it
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Ezio wrote:
mtomi78 wrote:I think plus menu in and out switch impossible? Video menu. MSAA etc... :)
since dev are focusing on bug fix and game balance. until then i dont think they will change menu, moreover these day we have so much anti aliasing yet, SMAA, TXAA, FXAA, MSAA, CSAA, MLAA, SSAA, SG-SSAA, and WTFAA?.

and adding patch now would be closed and added as future reference, i could try to learn it next week (the AA stuff) and compile it if you still want it
Because you need the AA to kill the VTOLs.
mtomi78
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mtomi78 »

Cyp wrote:
Ezio wrote:

Because you need the AA to kill the VTOLs.
And to inprove OpenGL and CL function in the menu? Kill? :wink:
Last edited by mtomi78 on 20 Apr 2013, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Warzone already has perfect antialiasing. Only if we ever include very complicated rendering (multiple transparency, deep shadow maps, volumetrics, reflections etc.) we will have to think of a more optimised way of antialiasing.
ImageImage
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Jorzi wrote:The problem is compatibility: We don't want to make the minimum requirement a radeon hd 5000 series gpu, since it would drop a large part of our loyal user base.
The devs also don't want to maintain two renderers (one for old graphics cards, one for new), since maintaining one renderer is already more than enough work.

Per has been talkong about moving to opengl es 2.0 though, which can utilise the power of modern gpu:s while still being fairly compatible with old cards.
they can play the old game if they don't want to upgrade their machine
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Most new games can run on opengl 2.0 hardware, including all cryengine games. Is this enough for us or do we want to alienate everyone with an intel card or an ati/nvidia older than 4 years, event though it's a perfectly fine high-end card that can run most new games?
I do think, however, that opengl 2.0 as a requirement is reasonable because anything older will seriously impair gpu performance.
Also, even the financially challenged can probably afford a used opengl 2.0 compatible computer these days.
ImageImage
mtomi78
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mtomi78 »

Jorzi wrote:Most new games can run on opengl 2.0 hardware, including all cryengine games. Is this enough for us or do we want to alienate everyone with an intel card or an ati/nvidia older than 4 years, event though it's a perfectly fine high-end card that can run most new games?
I do think, however, that opengl 2.0 as a requirement is reasonable because anything older will seriously impair gpu performance.
Also, even the financially challenged can probably afford a used opengl 2.0 compatible computer these days.
I think that is not a default feature can be turned off and on the more advanced OpenGL 3 or 4 features in the Video menu. It's not impossible. If there is a better card why not supported by the game menu. :roll:
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

mtomi78 wrote:I think that is not a default feature can be turned off and on the more advanced OpenGL 3 or 4 features in the Video menu. It's not impossible. If there is a better card why not supported by the game menu. :roll:
it's not about menu, it's about text position
wz2100-20130423_182314-main.png
or font? or well..
there were several threads about fixing this with several methods but no one seems doing(care about?) it.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

You can usually set those things in your driver configuration program, if you want to experiment with it. Personally I doubt they will make much difference.