Missing a common weapon type?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Missing a common weapon type?

Post by Urnight »

What about Chemical Weapons? Even if you do not decide to give it it's own body resistances or weapons you could still add in a few key weapons, like Gas Mortars, or Corrosive Machine gun Bullets. If you are feeling courageous, I recommend a support weapon that lowers kinetic/thermal resistance and does damage over time.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Re: Missing a common weapon type?

Post by Iluvalar »

I suggest radioactive weapons to stick with the main plot :) .
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Urnight wrote:What about Chemical Weapons? Even if you do not decide to give it it's own body resistances or weapons you could still add in a few key weapons, like Gas Mortars, or Corrosive Machine gun Bullets. If you are feeling courageous, I recommend a support weapon that lowers kinetic/thermal resistance and does damage over time.
How would those weapons have any effect on the Cyborgs and Tanks, since they seem protected from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons?
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

chem weapons would only affect scavs, and imho chem/bio weapons would not fit well in the game.

if you want a chem weapon, try vtol plasmite bombs :)
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

Urnight wrote:Gas Mortars
Incendiary mortars?
Urnight wrote:Corrosive Machine gun Bullets
Urnight wrote:damage over time
Flamers?

:wink:
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The strongest corrosive agent I can imagine would probably be either aqua regia mixed with hydrogen peroxide or maybe hydrofluoric acid. Pour them on a steel plate and you will see some ferocious bubbling, but that's all. The time it would take to actually eat through even a modest 10mm steel plate is quite long (several hours at least), and unless contained at a single spot, the corrosive agent will probably be consumed in a few minutes.

Compare that to this video of thermite vs a half-inch steel plate.
Conclusion: Thermite is pretty awesome 8)

Edit: Also, gas/chemical weapons wouldn't be very useful to unmanned vehicles or people wearing a protective mask, which would be mandatory in a world of nuclear fallout anyway.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Jorzi wrote:The strongest corrosive agent I can imagine would probably be either aqua regia mixed with hydrogen peroxide or maybe hydrofluoric acid.
Alien blood my friend, now that will go thru plate steel like a hot knife thru butter :I
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

Fluoroantimonic acid would eat though steel for breakfast and assuming this is 2100 not 2013, I figure they would have stronger chemical agents. Also gas mortars may have been a bad idea and it won't effect anything but scavs, the rest of the weapons are still legitimate ideas. A chemical weapon tree would be interesting. They would lower resistances and have a DoT like flamers, and they could mix with the other weapon trees. For example, Corrosive MG, Acid Impact Rockets, Acid Coated Cannon Shells, Or even a flamer that sprays acid and/or flame.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Almost forgot about this thread, let the chemistry debates begin :)
Fluoroantimonic acid is a new substance to me so thanks for enlightening me on that. Always good to have a nice list of nasty substances.
The problem, however, with fluoroantimonic acid as a weapon is that it still can't eat more steel than its own weight, so it has the same problem as any other acid (even future ones). Also if it get hot enough most of it will probably evaporate and react with the air instead, as well as spilling off onto the ground. If you have a really nasty aggressive acid you may be able to eat away up to a centimeter of steel. Problem is that, by battle standards, that would barely even be considered as damage.

What could be potentially useful, on the other hand, would be some form of catalyst. If you could make a substance that causes steel to burn without itself being consumed in the process, you have a direct military application. This is where the science fiction comes in (the nano rifle from red faction guerilla comes to mind). Making catalysts using nanotech is a hot research subject and has a lot of unexplored ground compared to acids, the mechanisms of which are already quite well-documented.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
savage
Greenhorn

Post by savage »

what about borg bombs? a borg that explodes violently when it gets within range of a target.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

savage wrote:what about borg bombs? a borg that explodes violently when it gets within range of a target.
Would be cool, but maybe over powered - unless they come late in the game when defenses / armies can stop them getting close. flamers are already a little like this.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

There was code lurking in WZ somewhere for a self-destruct feature. Not sure what effect it has but it could be tested via JS API by issuing the DORDER_DESTRUCT command to a droid.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

We do not have chemical weapons I believe due to this little detail that it seems that.. all our "people" sit in metal. The only people we are happy to see are the scavengers :3 I understand a chemical weapon could be only a sort of acit that melts units which would be difficult to program I believe. Because lets say deadly gas would work strange on metal units. How would it work, those would just stop? And I think the year 2100 allows units to be air ;) proof. So people we have never seen will safely sit inside their metal making such face expression ---> :P at those who throw gass at them ;)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
savage
Greenhorn

Post by savage »

Rommel wrote:
savage wrote:what about borg bombs? a borg that explodes violently when it gets within range of a target.
Would be cool, but maybe over powered - unless they come late in the game when defenses / armies can stop them getting close. flamers are already a little like this.
Not necessarily. Do an upgrade path. Small explosion to large explosion. I guess you could also start em out with low armor and upgrade that as well.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

There was a time when borgs could place mines: https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/disp ... edia/Mines