Remove random oil drums?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Re: Remove random oil drums?

Post by Rommel »

NoQ wrote:Please. Don't play a mentor when you know absolutely nothing about the subject.
Why be so condescending and downright hostile? I do not at all like your tone Sir.

I know you can be dead in less than 5min - this is on average how long it takes me to win a game on Atom (can't think of another map that takes less time to play ;). And yes I win (99%) because I have memorized that map and what I have to do to win, it is a simple process that I repeat over and over again (and I am bored with). A lot of the time it is in 2 minutes that I come at them with a few tanks and they rage quit cause the situation is hopeless, it's real fun yeah NOT!

This is the same on the few other low oil maps I have memorized as well. I have nothing against low oil maps or the people that like to play them, each to their own.

Why should someone enjoy a low oil map when they are against people that have memorized that map to such an extent that they could play it with their eyes closed. Maybe such people that memorize maps feel a bit threatened by NTW due to the fact that it takes them out of their comfort zone, maybe they don't like to be on a level playing field. Or maybe, just like me, they don't care either way and would only like to describe their thoughts and feelings about the game (without the fear of being ridiculed in such an impolite and disingenuous way I might add).
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

This should be obvious but, as long as you're playing against human players, the game is exactly as hard as the guy you're playing against, regardless of game mode.
While maintaining 10 factories, 5 labs and a heap of trucks at the same time has its challenges, it's mostly about getting a decent build order and you really don't need to worry that much about resources. Also since there's 4-5 people researching, you can generally get away with small mistakes, like having an idle lab for a minute, not optimizing your spending of resources etc...
Also losing a few units has only a marginal effect on the final outcome of the battle.

Low oil may not have the same pace in some aspects but offers plenty of other stress elements, like balancing spending on units/research, fighting for oil derricks, choosing which weapons to put your bets on, constantly keeping track of enemy movements since you can't afford to build towers etc..

In short: Low oil is like being alone in the forest fighting wild animals, NTW is more like a rugby match.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Jorzi wrote:In short: Low oil is like being alone in the forest fighting wild animals, NTW is more like a rugby match.
Well put. For me I like the actual fighting, playing close to my team and wielding large armies; this is what gives me enjoyment. I am not so much into resource/micro management. Basically NTW lets me get to the good stuff fast and looking at the ratio of low oil games v NTW in the lobby each day it seems the majority of people agree with me (well those playing MP anyway).
Last edited by Rommel on 07 Feb 2013, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Seems to me absurd
~
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Rommel: I get all i need from the map preview in a few seconds. If you don't believe, get to IRC now, pick any map that you have memorized and i haven't, and try to kill me. Or stop saying nonsense like "knowing the map matters".
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

NoQ wrote:Rommel: I get all i need from the map preview in a few seconds. If you don't believe, get to IRC now, pick any map that you have memorized and i haven't, and try to kill me. Or stop saying nonsense like "knowing the map matters".
Alrighty boss, hit the lobby now - the map will be atom, password noq.
Seems to me absurd
~
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Don't see anything.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

OMG... gotta love the competitive spirit. :) Any chance someone can "film" the game for Youtube...?

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

NoQ wrote:Rommel: I get all i need from the map preview in a few seconds. If you don't believe, get to IRC now, pick any map that you have memorized and i haven't, and try to kill me. Or stop saying nonsense like "knowing the map matters".
So I lost and must now eat my hat!
Last edited by Rommel on 07 Feb 2013, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Seems to me absurd
~
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Rman Virgil wrote:.Any chance someone can "film" the game for Youtube...?.
Whoops too late.
Should've, could have been a nice combat micromanagement tutorial.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Shadow Wolf TJC thank you for the explanation of the term :3
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

NoQ wrote:
Rman Virgil wrote:.Any chance someone can "film" the game for Youtube...?.
Whoops too late.
Should've, could have been a nice combat micromanagement tutorial.
If you feel like filming we can go again.
Seems to me absurd
~
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

If it doesn't matter, something is wrong with the game ... :hmm:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Drats.... on my smartphone. :(

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Actually I like it.

I see the conversation here brought into field, but field ;) where two Gentlemen stand back to back to each other, walk ten metres then shot their beutifully ornamented pistols at each other.

I do not know yet if there are barrels around them or not. I believe we will know in time :)

This, come one, I dare you, is really cool. Not some medusa like shouting. Also using the troublesome environment is best option too.

Rman drat that man! ;) according to my very good dictionary my phrase means damn it, and you are right at the same time. I think I will take a pistol for myself too ;)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Merowingg wrote: I do not know yet if there are barrels around them or not. I believe we will know in time :)
I believe I found 3, although I did not really go out looking for them as they were captured by my trucks during their building. I feel my loss equated to the fact that I did not have the forsight to build my last factory and therefore was working with only 4 as opposed (to what I presume) was the 5 that NoQ had. He seemed to be massing his army much faster than I. I have since modified my strategy to build an extra one. So for those interested my build order was thus:

All four starting trucks:

1. Research Facility - as soon as finished res mg, I did this all the way to twin mg
2. Command Center - design viper-wheels-mg
3. Build 4 factories - each outputting the combat units I designed above

After this trucks split into two groups of two.

2 trucks on building power gens
2 trucks on building derricks

As stated above, NoQ seemed to be outputting more combat units than me so somewhere in that mix I should have built the 5th factory, likely after say two power gens - I normally have 2 trucks teamed building derricks and they stay slightly ahead of the power gens so maybe I should move to 1 and have the other make the 5th factory.

In regards to random barrels, with the above build order there are times when you go a small negative in energy if you do not find them, if you do find them you always stay pretty much even so random barrels in this instance can be the difference between having 2 or 3 more units.

I would be interested to know NoQs build order in the game. I would also add that I messed up a bit at the start due to nerves and so lost a few precious seconds - in saying this, thus blow the winds of war, and I do not in anyway wish take anything from NoQ's win, he was indeed the better man on the day.

Just to add, that build order I use on Atom, will always beat a new player and has 99% of the time beaten experienced players. This is only the second time I have lost, the first being to Fenris? hmmm can't remember the name. So NoQ, if he has not used that map extensively, has an excellent situational adaptation.
Last edited by Rommel on 07 Feb 2013, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Seems to me absurd
~