Group Formations

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Group Formations

Post by Rommel »

Has any thought been giving to have the ability to set formation for groups, a good example of this is with the Total War: series of games - basically you create a group and then you have some predefined formations to choose (be good to take this a step further and allow you to create your own custom formations).

This would negate the problem of units getting strung out in a line when moving (specially an issue with heavy slower units)
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Group Formations

Post by aubergine »

Yup, this has been suggested several times before. It's non-trivial to implement, we need to sort out the pathfinding code first before anything like this can be done. Also, it's likely the user interface would need updating to allow selection of a formation to use, and that's another difficult task currently.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

yeah I understand it's definetly a lot of work - if you are going to do it, please make sure that the ability to design/edit custom formations is implemented (as opposed to hard coded formations).
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Also we would need much bigger maps to take full advantage of them, like with bigger plain areas etc.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Emdek wrote:Also we would need much bigger maps to take full advantage of them, like with bigger plain areas etc.
The only map i see in the lobby is ntw, so...
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501