Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Post by aubergine »

Starting with nothing at all = don't lose sounds like a fairly simple mod to rules.js. Basically define a isPlayerAlive() function that checks for factories/droids, and if none are found it returns false, otherwise true. Then at start of the game cache state of each player in an array and only once a a player 'becomes alive' as defined by isPlayerAlive() do the victory conditions start getting checked for that player. IMHO that's something that should also be done in the main WZ branch as well, in particular it would allow challenges to be defined where the player starts with nothing until a transport flies in and drops off their starting troops, etc.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

One of the things that has bugged me for awhile is the cavalier breaking of complex mods without so much as a heads up. I think it disrespectful, to say the least.

If I understand Legacy, and what is valued in its community, such will not be the stock protocol ?

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

bendib wrote:
1.0 Alpha 2 Changelog wrote: Nullbot is now going to be locally modified for Warzone 2100 Legacy from now on and scripts have been adapted fittingly,
You may want to consider waiting a bit on this, as I'm currently working on making NullBot more competent in Contingency. While that might not sound all that important, given that I'm modifying an AI to work more competently for a mod, some of the changes that I'm working on include making NullBot more aggressive, more efficient with offense and resource management, and even a bit more unpredictable. (So far, this new NullBot seems to dominate over the old 2.0 version of NullBot on Contingency.) In fact, I believe that NoQ himself said that he'd consider using some of the code for a future version of NullBot. :wink:
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Rman Virgil wrote:
One of the things that has bugged me for awhile is the cavalier breaking of complex mods without so much as a heads up. I think it disrespectful, to say the least.

If I understand Legacy, and what is valued in its community, such will not be the stock protocol ?

Testing and unstable versions are fair game, but stable releases of a series, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc will all be essentially compatible at a core level. 2.0 may be incompatible. I will work to ensure that porting mods is never too difficult. The core gameplay experience should never be heavily altered. That is a founding axiom of the Warzone 2100 Legacy Project.
Last edited by bendib on 07 Jan 2013, 07:09, edited 2 times in total.
Also known as Subsentient.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

bendib wrote:...

Testing and unstable versions are fair game, but stable releases of a series, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc will all be essentially compatible at a core level. 2.0 may be incompatible. I will work to ensure that porting mods is never too difficult. The core gameplay experience should never be heavily altered. That is a founding axiom of the Warzone 2100 Legacy Project.
Values I can thoroughly appreciate. :3

I've asked a lot of questions and you've answered them all. I sincerely thank you for that. :)

My general expierence of late has been quiet the opposite. Likely fallout from my having participated constructively, but not in lock-step, in the "power" discussions of a few months back, before the black-out that preceeded reconstruction.

We'll meet again. The otherside of fully restoring my long-lived enthusiasm for the game (& its creator's original vision) which has been compromised of late by not shrugging off toxic ill will (and its authors) sooner. Comes, in part, with the territory of not being in mental lock-step and nesting in the proscribed hutch. Lesson learned. Moving onward. :hmm:

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote: You may want to consider waiting a bit on this, as I'm currently working on making NullBot more competent in Contingency.
I will integrate any changes I can find that are worthwhile. Once the AI becomes different enough, the plan is to rename it to NQA, No Questions Asked, in honor of NoQ, the original creator.
Rman Virgil wrote:
bendib wrote:...

Values I can thoroughly appreciate. :3

I've asked a lot of questions and you've answered them all. I sincerely thank you for that. :)

My general expierence of late has been quiet the opposite. Likely fallout from my having participated constructively, but not in lock-step, in the "power" discussions of a few months back, before the black-out that preceeded reconstruction.

We'll meet again. The otherside of fully restoring my long-lived enthusiasm for the game (& its creator's original vision) which has been compromised of late by not shrugging off toxic ill will (and its authors) sooner. Comes, in part, with the territory of not being in mental lock-step and nesting in the proscribed hutch. Lesson learned. Moving onward. :hmm:

You should participate more in the Legacy community. Your input and company would be greatly appreciated, I can even show you some of the ideas for Legacy that have yet come to pass that are currently just a possibility, and maybe even play a few games.
Your values are a more articulated mirror of many of my own, something I rarely encounter and appreciate deeply when I do find it.

Rman, Legacy is beyond and above all of this drama, a completely seperate community. We don't have power struggles, we don't censor posts for objecting to us, we are here to create and spread joy. Will you join us in redeeming Warzone?

Best wishes,

-Subsentient
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Will take you up on the offer, bendib, for all those reasons. :)

Just need a little more time to completely detox from the cumulative dreck experiences of the last 6 months.

Want to come to it thoroughly fresh, enthusiastic, energized and in good spirits. Aka, purely fun-loving. :hmm:

I look forward to it. As I do spending quality time with your latest release and, in some way, be able to reciprocate. :3

Regards, Rman.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Good news! Warzone 2100 Legacy Alpha 3 will support the enableSpec() and checkSpec() functions in JS and WZScript, and I have implemented auto-spectator for when you start with no base or trucks, where you would normally lose and spectator support would need to be enabled manually. The relevant commits, while ugly, are here:

Enable auto-spectator:
https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100le ... 885866da0e

JS and WZScript spectating support:
https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100le ... 9bc9d23c66
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. -Gandhi
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I may want to consider trying to port Contingency over to Legacy, since from the looks of it, I might be able to play it over Windows XP after all. Kind of like developing a game for Windows, then porting it over to Macintosh and Linux.

By the way, perhaps you should consider putting a link to your Legacy project into your signature, so that people may more easily find where it's located, much like what Aubergine and I have done for our respective projects (the Warzone 2100 Wiki on Atlassian for Aubergine, and Contingency and the Wikizone 2100 wiki for myself).
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I'd be pleased if you ported Contingency to Legacy! Unfortunately, not enough characters are free in my signature to add a link.
Thanks however!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Sadly I can't get links working in my sig. :( Must be a permissions thing.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

You can only add forum links via a [forum] tag in a sig, see my sig.

Like this: test

Code: Select all

[forum=viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116&p=115766#p115763]test[/forum]
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Excellent news! Legacy now has a domain of it's own, no longer a subdomain of universe2.us!

http://warzonelegacy.org/

A site overhaul will be done soon.
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

Hi bendib, will the legacy project have the same effect on the main game as Glest AE fork had on Glest?
Because in that game, the AE project did add alot of greate gaming experience, but in the same time, the main game was developped to be more stable and more feature rich.

Eventually the where so far apart, this being a wonderful fork based on an old version, and this being a new version with less game experience. And now they are both "half complete" projects.

I really hope that nothing like this will happen here.

.... And I really hope that anyone has any good news about the Glest game because I really loved it....