operating system

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
suicideidiot123
Rookie
Rookie

operating system

Post by suicideidiot123 »

hey whats happenin i just thought id ask...  what os do you guys recomend?

Right now i use windows xp and im VERY used to it but i can also use my dads vista or maybe if there was a way to get linux... but where do i buy linux... unless its freeware?
2_Late
Rookie
Rookie

Re: operating system

Post by 2_Late »

"Linux" is totally free ware top to bottom, side to side, and front to back. There are some distributions you pay for support on, but they're purely for corporate type peoples. :)

If your looking for some easy to use and at least fairly well documented distributions of Linux I'd suggest Fedora or Debian. Maybe Mandriva, though I have no experience with that one. Fedora is a solid distribution, Debain should still be well maintained. Mandriva should be easy to use.

If your just window shopping, I suggest Knoppix. It's easy to use, has many useful tools, best of all it designed to be boot and run from a CD. So you can insert it, play with all you want, and when your done just reset. No harm, no foul.

As for upgrading to Microsoft Window's Vista? ick, Stick with XP for a wile longer if you can. Few things have impressing be that brandish the Microsoft logo, and they're all ways at least mostly hollow promises. They're easy to use, when it's not broke, but their basic mentality, imo:

1."We'll keep smiling, and be polite, but we have your money now. You're no longer worth spending time on." 2. "Microsoft is such a wonderful product why would you want to use anything else?" 3."We could write a simple tool to fix that, but sense this is a Microsoft Product that never happens so we will not spend the time."
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ubuntu / kubuntu  is also a good choice -  is one of the easiest distros to set up.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

I use Windows XP Service Pack 2. Had no significant problems with it so far, so I don't see any advantages of switching to Vista yet. I've also installed Ubuntu on my old laptop, it's good, but... For me, having used mandrake, suse, gentoo linux etc. in the past, it always comes down to this:
- It takes a lot of time to really get into linux
- A lot of programs I regulary use do not run on Linux
-> I do also need a windows pc or dual boot
-> I end up using Windows all the time because of the reasons I mentioned before, and last but not least... I'm used to windows and I guess I'm a little conservative sometimes.
I think this applies to a lot of people... 
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

"A lot of programs I regulary use do not run on Linux" applies imo mostly to games. For other tasks you usually have an ersatz for Linux.
2_Late
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 2_Late »

ratarf wrote: ...
- It takes a lot of time to really get into linux.
The same could be said for first time users of any Microsoft OS. It's just a different sized tool box with different tools inside. I just happen to think that "Linux" is the better built, maintained, and more complete toolbox.

As for just diving in? Having spent most of my early years in whatever ran the Commandor, DOS, and Windoes 3.1 to ME I can't claim that my experience those OSs didn't help my transition to Linux, but I'd like to at least claim that the learning curve to just dive in do basic "Stuff" was no different. Unstanding Linux is another story, It gives you the options that ,imo, Microsoft either want you to pay to even know it exists or thinks it's end users are incapable of learning. Anything and everything that I know of in Linux is subject to a end user's change by simple changing a plain text file.
Commander_Keyes
Trained
Trained

Post by Commander_Keyes »

Use Mac OS X.
Easy to use, probably every application you'll ever need and a fair share of games. Stability, intuitive interface- WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE?
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Commander_Keyes wrote: Use Mac OS X.
Easy to use, probably every application you'll ever need and a fair share of games. Stability, intuitive interface- WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE?
The price is a rip-off =/
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Commander_Keyes wrote: Use Mac OS X.
A mac computer to run MacOS X.
Well, I'd buy Windows XP x64 (x64 because i have good 64bit driver support for my hardware, so, why not?) some weeks ago, because i don't want Vista and MS will discontinue the selling of XP at the beginning of 2008. Well, it is the most stable windows I'd ever have and fast. However, it's based on Windows Server 2003 which has not such a bad reputation ;)

Anyways, i must use Windows due my study and the tools i (must) use.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
whalefsh
Greenhorn

Post by whalefsh »

I still use XP and don't plan on switching to Vista.  Mainly because this machine would stuggle with it.

Being of an anti-capitalist persuasion, I much prefer the ethos of linux.  Although I don't currently use it myself.
Dizzi78
Greenhorn

Post by Dizzi78 »

If you go to vista, research a lot on how to tweak it. Vista expects you to have a high spec pc since it spams all it's services at you. :)
Eddie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Eddie »

Mac OS X because I think its better than Windows
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.5.8
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Eddie wrote:Mac OS X because I think its better than Windows
Gah!
Stop digging up old threads! :stare:
and it ends here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Someone's bored and doesn't have anything better to do. ;)