Release of Chojun's WZ Source Looks to be Aborted

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Release of Chojun's WZ Source Looks to be Aborted

Post by Rman Virgil »

Made the thread here.... if it is more appropriate elsewhere feel free to move it.

========>

Chojun worked on the source for years single-handed outta love for the game and deep conviction for its robust future. His career and growing family take up most his time but it is his hope that others will find value in this work going foward and continuing the journey of WZ's on-going development evolution.

(BTW: A few years back this source was the basis of what some of you may remember as WZ 2200. After that project was shut down Chojun did some further work - as recent as last winter.)

Besides the release of the source, new data assets will also be released and properly licenced.

That said, I will not presume to speak for Chojun. He is more than capable of expressing his thoughts and convictions, in due course.

AND... there is also this:
Rman Virgil wrote:.

Just wanna be absolutely clear here.

Neither Chojun or myself have any interest whatsoever in commercializing WZ.

Chojun's work will be made public in a manner that would be best suited for the games on going evolution and we look foward to this project team giving us guidance in how exactly to that within the next couple weeks.

Thanks all for your consideration.

- Regards, Rman. :hmm:

Last edited by Rman Virgil on 11 Sep 2012, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: The Release of Chojun's WZ Source - Input Welcome.

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

This is interesting -- what are the differences compared to the current Warzone, if I may ask? :) It's the first I'm reading about this.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:This is interesting -- what are the differences compared to the current Warzone, if I may ask? :) It's the first I'm reading about this.

Cho started with the original Pumpkin distro. As I understand it (& mind you I haven't written a line of code since '98 & that enterprise wide biz not game) - rebuilt the framework in C++ making it saner to work on the source sub-system by sub-system, intergrated the open source C++ Irrlicht high performance 3D Graphics Engine, bunch of other redesign...

Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

I thought Irrlicht integration was another WZ project.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:I thought Irrlicht integration was another WZ project.
Nope. This one. It was code-named "VisiRaptor" when we were building "WZ 2200".

Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Ah, I thought that was separate from the modified source Chojun was releasing, at least that's how it sounded when I asked in November.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

In 5 days I fly out to the West Coast for a 2 week biz trip. In that time frame the only WZ thing I will make time for will be attending details of Chojun's source release. That's it, till I get back home after the 4th of July.

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

It's progressing. RL is slowing it some but it should come together within 1-2 at the outside. :3

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Recieved this Friday night, 7/13, from Chojun. Already passed it on to the team's pointman in this, Safety0ff, whose seen to the details of the source UL. It is verbatim but for our RL names which I've changed to our forum nicks.
Hey (Rman),

I'm terribly sorry for the delay. Things have been chaotic for me lately and I have been falling behind on a lot of things.

The bad news is that we've also fallen behind on work on our basement which means my server remains packed away under a mountain of junk.

The good news though is that I found a working copy of the source on my old laptop, which I could upload to you. I'll shoot for this weekend, and then sometime in the future get you guys the svn repository.

Best,

(Chojun)

Yebo, sanibonani & arrivederci, RV. :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Nice to hear :) I hope that the community can make use of something from Chojun's work on the source.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Nice to hear :) I hope that the community can make use of something from Chojun's work on the source.
As they say in French: "Raison de plus" - all the more reason for doing something.

And, it will. :hmm:

vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Source, as in no data ? :hmm:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

vexed wrote:Source, as in no data ? :hmm:
Permissions for the data release were aquired from Grim. Priority to the source ul was suggested. The data can come later with the source SVN on the mentioned server. I donot think the data is on the LT is all - or maybe it is. Not sure really. Could very well be included with the ul from the LT. I'll ask. With the AR graphics project not thinking the 2200 data is all that.... but it will go up later if not on this ul.

EDIT:

~ "I'll ask."

- Done. :3

lampkin
New user

Post by lampkin »

can't wait to see what comes of this. can't say i remember Chojun but he seems like a nice guy
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

And so now we wait for SafetyOff to UL the first chunk :lol2: Ah the joys of internet news.

I think the new C++ code will keep the devs busy for awhile